What's new

How much calmag+ do you use?

Beanfish

Just wanted to ask how much calmag+ everyone uses when mixing your rez??? Also are you using R/O or tap water?

I'm having MAJOR calcium deficiency issues and I can't seem to find the proper mix. My Nirvana Ice strain has always (and still is) given me fits, but I'm running AK48 and BB for the 1st time and they are showing deficiency now as well.

I added 50ml to 12 gal (1/2 R/O and 1/2 TW) before I started mixing nutes and after 3 days they were getting worse so I added another 50ml and they still aren't getting any better....

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
Sounds like you need to goto the infirmary. Doesn't like like you have a cal def.

You're seeing brown spots on the leaves?

I use Ro water, and cal mag @ 5ml /gal

B

badugi

I use tap water (35-40ppm @ .5) and always have classic Ca+Mg deficiencies and slow-ass growth without a Ca/Mg supplement. Just about everyone who came into my infirmary thread here on IC, as well as their brother, their sister, and their pet dog told me that it's impossible for it to be a Ca+Mg deficiency, and that I'm doing other things wrong. (Because some calculator or formula somewhere told them that my mix should have plenty of Ca+Mg already.)

I added Ca+Mg, and it fixed up everything.

Last edited:

Mr Celsius

Veteran
badugi said:
I use tap water (35-40ppm @ .5) and always have classic Ca+Mg deficiencies and slow-ass growth without a Ca/Mg supplement. Just about everyone who came into my infirmary thread here on IC, as well as their brother, their sister, and their pet dog told me that it's impossible for it to be a Ca+Mg deficiency, and that I'm doing other things wrong. (Because some calculator or formula somewhere told them that my mix should have plenty of Ca+Mg already.)

I added Ca+Mg, and it fixed up everything.

You realize that Cal Mag is 2-0-0. Its possible you were having nitrogen def...

Beanfish

Thanks for the fast replies guys.

Mr Celsius said:
Sounds like you need to goto the infirmary. Doesn't like like you have a cal def.

You're seeing brown spots on the leaves?

I use Ro water, and cal mag @ 5ml /gal

The reason I didn't post in the infirmary is because I'm pretty sure its a calcium (and slight mag) deficiency and I wanted to "target" the question to the hydro growers. In the past I've kept it in check with the Ice, but the seedling/youngins are now showing it too.

The pics in my gallery are not that current. They looked fine when I snapped those pics. And Yes, I'm getting severe brown spots and slight leaf curl (praying).

It come on fast in my new nft/aero system. In my old DWC rig things never happened this fast. I assume that was because the roots were always in nute solution. :confused:

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Never used RO or CalMag. I once thought I had a Mag problem that I "fixed" with Epsom Salts. Turned out to be bad pH maintenance on my part and no additives were needed.

How's your pH?

B

badugi

Mr Celsius said:
You realize that Cal Mag is 2-0-0. Its possible you were having nitrogen def...
I don't remember ever saying I used Botanicare's Cal-Mag+.

But if I was, would a nitrogen deficiency that would exhibit classic Ca/Mg deficiencies be fixed by something that boosts it by 2-0-0? I think you might have been one of those in the infirmary.

Last edited:

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
I always start with 2 ml/gallon ro water. Most plants do fine (for me) with this amount, but some strains I've run need more so I bump it up 1 ml at a time to find the results I'm looking for. I've never had to use more than 5 ml/gal

Beanfish

Thanks to all who replied!!!

FreezerBoy said:
Never used RO or CalMag. I once thought I had a Mag problem that I "fixed" with Epsom Salts. Turned out to be bad pH maintenance on my part and no additives were needed.

How's your pH?

My ph is rock steady @ 6.0 or a little under. I've been using a dropper test kit for years. I really want a Truncheon PH stick to match my Truncheon EC stick but $$$ is a little tight right now.
I seems that the humic/fulvic acids in Floranova and Liquid Karma really like to settle near 6.0. I can put it @ 5.5 and is settles near 6.0 in a couple days. I've tried fighting it in the past put I just raise the EC and it ALWAYS goes to near 6.0 for some reason... :confused:

I upped my calmag+ to 10 ml/gal and my Ice seem to be liking it.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Warning! The Bluelab pH Truncheon is as reviled as the EC Truncheon is beloved and trusted. I'd save the money for beans or a new fan or a night with my honey ...

Beanfish

FreezerBoy said:
Warning! The Bluelab pH Truncheon is as reviled as the EC Truncheon is beloved and trusted. I'd save the money for beans or a new fan or a night with my honey ...

Wow! No kidding??? I've never heard that before. Not that I don't believe you, but can you provide me with more info on that matter? Some links maybe? I've been SOOOO happy with my Truncheon EC meter I just thought the PH meter would be as great as the EC stick. I won't buy a constant "monitor" type PH meter as I have 3 reservoirs in my flower room and will soon be adding a rez for moms and one for veg as well as my aero cloner... So I need a hand held type. Any recommendations? Not Hanna though as I've already wasted money on their useless checker1 some years ago. I know their higher end meters are quality products but I will not give any more of my money to a company that would put such an inferior product out to market.

Apollo11

Beanfish said:
Thanks to all who replied!!!

My ph is rock steady @ 6.0 or a little under. I've been using a dropper test kit for years. I really want a Truncheon PH stick to match my Truncheon EC stick but $$$ is a little tight right now.
I seems that the humic/fulvic acids in Floranova and Liquid Karma really like to settle near 6.0. I can put it @ 5.5 and is settles near 6.0 in a couple days. I've tried fighting it in the past put I just raise the EC and it ALWAYS goes to near 6.0 for some reason... :confused:

I upped my calmag+ to 10 ml/gal and my Ice seem to be liking it.

Seems like your PH is the suspect here and you were wasting lots of CalMag. IME deficiency's are the result of improper PH 9 out of 10 times. With a PH of 6.0 you lockout Calcium and Manganese.

B

badugi

FreezerBoy said:
Good information. :yes:

EC / TDS meters, in my experience, have been fairly reliable and hard to screw up with even improper care... regardless of brand.

I think the life of pH electrodes is heavily dependent on the care given and proper wet storage. Most people don't seem to know this, and typically ruin them by storing them dry.

B

BuddahBoyee

Apollo11 said:

Seems like your PH is the suspect here and you were wasting lots of CalMag. IME deficiency's are the result of improper PH 9 out of 10 times. With a PH of 6.0 you lockout Calcium and Manganese.
Then what ph would be proper if you don't mind me asking? Below 6.0 or slightly above? I'm just curious.

Beanfish

Apollo11, I hear ya. I try to shoot for just south of 6.0. It's hard to determine exactly when using my sunleaves ph kit. I aim for yellowish orange (yellow = 6.0, orange = 5.5). I really need a meter. I almost ordered an Extech PH100 from Amazon on Wednesday, probably should have.

http://www.amazon.com/Extech-PH100-...d_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1227893082&sr=8-1

Extech is well known for their quality industrial instruments. Also I have an Amazon Prime membership so next day air is only $4 and 2 day is free. If I don't like it, Amazon's return policy is awesome, they even reimburse return shipping charges on damaged/defective items. :jump:

I would love to get one locally but the prices @ my 3 semi-local hydro stores are way out of line (they won't even honor their online prices in-store). Also, I don't like the people at any of them.
The one hydro store I do like is in my hometown but it's 40+ miles away and I don't make it back there very often... Too bad cuz the owner is super cool and I'd rather give my $$$ to him as he's only been in business a few years and works a full time job to help support the store. I would like to see him succeed.

BuddahBoyee said:
Then what ph would be proper if you don't mind me asking? Below 6.0 or slightly above? I'm just curious.

You want to aim for 5.8ish.

I wish I had enough posts to give rep guys.... :cuss:

Last edited:

Apollo11

BuddahBoyee said:

Have a look on the chart below that I made (Its Blaze's feeding schedule with the previous chart smushed in the middle). S stands for Sativa and I stands for Indica.

Mr Celsius

Veteran
badugi said:
I don't remember ever saying I used Botanicare's Cal-Mag+.

But if I was, would a nitrogen deficiency that would exhibit classic Ca/Mg deficiencies be fixed by something that boosts it by 2-0-0? I think you might have been one of those in the infirmary.

You realize you're a anti-social troll right?

B

badugi

Yes. I also realize that bad answers suck.

I don't like it when people randomly "try to help" by throwing out enough random guesses that one has to eventually hit, if they really don't know. I know I've posted in the infirmary twice, and both times it felt like I got as many different analysis as were number of responders, with most just randomly guessing without any clue. First sentence or two might include something like "pH is at 5.9", and the first two responses might be "hmm, what's your pH by the way? might be a pH problem, try setting it between 5.5 - 6.2"

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts