What's new

how many plants under 400 watt in perpetual?

I wanted to know how many plants i could grow under my 400 watt light, in 2 gal pots in my dr80. I was planning on growing 9 plants topped a few times each in 2 gal pots, but think this may be a lil too cramped. The strains im growing are a bagseed i've been growing for about a year now and what is supposedly called tahoe widow, and nirvana's PPP. I plan to let most plant flower for 9 weeks, 10 weeks tops.

I would like to average about an oz per plant, but am only currently at week 5 with the oldest of 5 plants in 2 gal pots.

anyone got any thoughts on how many would be the most efficient under a 400 watt hps in a 3'x3' dr80? Thanks. :wave:

maxima32

well i get about six plants in five gallon buckets under a 400 watter that have been vegged for over a month or just about a month finishing at just under 4 feet . it would seem feasible that with 2 gallon pots and a short veg you could get the plants to finish flowering in under two feet as your max height is three feet depending on strain .I do it with a low stretch variety like cannacopia bubba chunk. It will be tough to get an oz per with plants finishing under or at two feet without burning the tops. but depending on genes it is possible ,just dont veg longer than two weeks, and expet 9 to 17 grams dried when said and done. hope this helps.

Im going to try to stuff 9 in and see how it works out. all my plants are vegged out til they have multiple tops and are at least 12" tall. I think this be a lil too many, but i can alway cut down on the number.

maxima-I dont see why i couldnt get an oz per plant when each plant has multiple tops, but thats just what im hoping for. I had a few smaller plants that got put under the 400 watt and yeilded 15grams in a 1/2 gal pot, maybe smaller, like 6". with 2 gal pots i should be able to get that 28grm mark.

I hope to harvest the first plant in a 2 gal pot in the perpetual cycle in the next 3-5 weeks.

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
I wanted to know how many plants i could grow under my 400 watt light, in 2 gal pots in my dr80. I was planning on growing 9 plants topped a few times each in 2 gal pots, but think this may be a lil too cramped. The strains im growing are a bagseed i've been growing for about a year now and what is supposedly called tahoe widow, and nirvana's PPP. I plan to let most plant flower for 9 weeks, 10 weeks tops.

I would like to average about an oz per plant, but am only currently at week 5 with the oldest of 5 plants in 2 gal pots.

anyone got any thoughts on how many would be the most efficient under a 400 watt hps in a 3'x3' dr80? Thanks. :wave:

I grow 36 plants in a 3x3 ebb/flow under a 600W HPS, single cola, SOG style. The 600W has a light footprint of 3'x3'.

A 400W has a light footprint of about 2.5'x2.5'.

So planting at 4 per sq/ft, SOG style, you could fit 25 plants under that 400W. Minimal or no veg time.

Just don't let them get to big, got to think about light penetration.

That's how I would do it but everyone has their favourite way of growing.

Cheers.

aceofspades

I grew 14 plants in 1 gal pots under a 400watt and they did amazing, vegged them for about a week. I got very decen results in soil using fox farm nutes. 400w is great but I have recently upgradedt a 600w scrog. I forsee the 600w scrog being more efficient.

Keep us updated!
Ace

High Country

Veteran
SOG

picture.php

picture.php

nice looking there highcountry! I considered running a SOG but my girl says she doesnt like having that many plants in the house. I also want to cut down on the number, and amount of work. how much do you yeild per plant with that style?

I'll keep everyone posted and let you know what i decide. My real goal is to try to harvest about 1oz every week, but would be happy with an every other week if needed.

asstastic

well i get about six plants in five gallon buckets under a 400 watter that have been vegged for over a month or just about a month finishing at just under 4 feet . it would seem feasible that with 2 gallon pots and a short veg you could get the plants to finish flowering in under two feet as your max height is three feet depending on strain .I do it with a low stretch variety like cannacopia bubba chunk. It will be tough to get an oz per with plants finishing under or at two feet without burning the tops. but depending on genes it is possible ,just dont veg longer than two weeks, and expet 9 to 17 grams dried when said and done. hope this helps.
thats what my cfl box pushes if you grew a plant under a 400w and did not hit an oz you should do some more research cuz your wasting light

High Country

Veteran
nice looking there highcountry! I considered running a SOG but my girl says she doesnt like having that many plants in the house. I also want to cut down on the number, and amount of work. how much do you yeild per plant with that style?

I'll keep everyone posted and let you know what i decide. My real goal is to try to harvest about 1oz every week, but would be happy with an every other week if needed.

I've never weighed, I just do this stuff for fun.

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
Sorry for the long post, but the thread snapped a few synapse, and I had to relive how I was growing. Thanks again for asking, and although I don't use HID lighting, I'm some of this will be helpful.

My set up is different and a little bigger with 12 sq ft of floor space and 4 feet of clearance. I was running perpetual and harvesting about every 3 weeks. After a 3 month disruption at my doing, it's back up and running. (glad I started thinking about it)

I don;t know if you would call it a true perpetual though. I grew 6 plants at a time. Once the females were flowered, I would try to harvest 1 plant per week. This meant that my 60 day flower cycle was drawn out to 70 days and 80 days with a harvest about every 10 days.

It also meant that after 20-30 days of flowering, I had to move 6 more plants into the flowering crate, add more lights for the new plants, and deal with plants of different ages. I also had to make room by harvesting plant more often, which sometimes caused gaps between harvest. By as much as 3 weeks.

Using CFL's helped out, and by having 2 bulbs on each cord, I could have 12-18 lights at varying heights serving each plant with a few working between sets of plants. Arranging my plants in a triangle was the better layout. This gave me 6 bulbs on top feeding 3 plants and one bulb hanging in the middle of the three plants.

What made it difficult was alternating between a new strain to make seeds and a strain that had already been duplicated. At times I ended up with males, in with the females or, keep the new strain in the veg case and delay the next round of plants.

I think your best bet to have a perpetual grow, unless you have a system you've been working with, is to grow out your 9 and harvest 1-2 plants per week. With 9 plants, that should give you a harvest every week for 4 to 9 weeks. You'll also have to time your new plants from seed or clone, to fill the space available in your cabinet so that you always have nine plants in there most of which would be ready to harvest at you're leisure.

K+ and I'm sure you'll work it out as well I as will.

High Country

Veteran
I think I'm getting a bit confused about this thread now, I thought it was about a perpetual harvest.

By perpetual harvest are we talking about harvesting every week, 2 weeks or what?

You would need a minimum of 2, preferably 3 grow areas.

1. Mother and veg room, MH globe
  2. Clone room, flouros
  3. Flower room, HPS globe

Any grow method could be used.

Perpetual sounds like too much work for me.

I am happy with a 2 month turn around doing SOG, clone to flower.

BakedBeans

You can do perpetual harvest with a small space under 400watt and you don't need mother plants or a clone room. You do need seeds though. :)

Check out the 12/12 from seed thread. You can squeeze in 7 harvests per year with the method. You go from seed to harvest in the time the plant takes to finish (60 days?). No veg.

I know you've got plants in veg now, but it's something to think about. The best way is to grow them in a bed, a shitload of seeds at a time. They mostly all grow up into single dense colas without branching. Some strains are unsuitable. Hybrids are the best.

Go check out the thread. I would link it but TOR is running slow tonight.

bb

High Country

Veteran
You can do perpetual harvest with a small space under 400watt and you don't need mother plants or a clone room. You do need seeds though. :)

Check out the 12/12 from seed thread. You can squeeze in 7 harvests per year with the method. You go from seed to harvest in the time the plant takes to finish (60 days?). No veg.

I know you've got plants in veg now, but it's something to think about. The best way is to grow them in a bed, a shitload of seeds at a time. They mostly all grow up into single dense colas without branching. Some strains are unsuitable. Hybrids are the best.

Go check out the thread. I would link it but TOR is running slow tonight.

bb

Sorry BakedBeans, I like to know I've got girls from the start.

Clone only.

High Country

Veteran
One more thing, i don't veg the clones at all, straight on to 12/12, bloom nutes, 1.5 EC.

Flying Goat

Richirich -

Have you considered the autoflower varieties? I run a 400w & the AFs are very happy to live their entire lives in 6" square pots (some smaller) that are 10" deep. They show sex at around 2 weeks of age, starting slow, then WHAM! The race is on to finish in 60 days from seed. Some take up to 10 days longer, but not much...

You can arrange a grow where you plant 2 seeds a week & harvest 2 plants a week. Varieties like Mi5 & Auto AK-47 are heavy yielders of over 1oz per plant... Auto AK & Mi5 can go up to 2+ oz per plant... In small but deep pots, man. Of course, the larger your pots, the happier the plants will be as they shoot roots down before they stretch out... Topping & transplanting are eliminated, altho you might wanna do a bit of LST for shape & uniformity of the canopy.

Don't let anyone tell you they're not worth smoking. On the contrary, when I smoke the AFs with their high levels of CBDs (nature's anti-inflammatory), my muscles relax, my joints limber up, & my guts settle down...

Just enjoyed a few top buds of a Himalayan Blue Diesel & the buzz was TOTALLY pain-killing, very up, antidepressant & energetic... Just what patients need when they're heavy medicators like me.

This little beauty never got more than 24" tall & I feared would not be worth it, but in the last 4 weeks she fattened nicely & talk about frost! Only the 4 original fan leaves were NOT covered in trichomes. I'm talking stems (great for chewing on, very tasty) & leaf petioles, EVERYTHING was frosty...

If you'd like to learn more about the AFs, you might wanna lurk around in the AutoFlower forum or perhaps join the Autoflower social group...

OK, the rest of you who are hating on AFs, feel free to bash me now...

High Country

Veteran
High Country,
Do you have a journal. I've been extremely curious about this method of growing and I'd like to follow your grow.

" MY LITTLE SOG " Australia and New Zealand

New nutes are in, 3 weeks to go.

Latest posts

Latest posts