What's new

How many acres is enough?

JohnnyATL

Veteran
so yeah, like the question says....Im looking to buy some property, and as i've been looking its been difficult to decide on what I want because i'm not sure the amount of acreage that would be sufficient to grow on.

I wanna do like a 25 plant smart pot grow in northern maine or california. I have found some different properties, ranging in size from 20 acres to 3 acres, some with log cabins and others without etc.

Its hard to decide what would be best and how big is too big. I just want to be sure that ppl wont see my shit ya know.

idk im high and rambling. let me know what you think.

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
please don't come to California, Maine sounds a LOT better....and it's MUCH cheaper than Cali.

I pulled it off (40 some plants) on 1/10th an acre...old subdivision. 20 of the plants were sizable.

Granted I'd never ever recommend that, just sayin.

I'm buying a 10ac for my shop/OD meow...seems like a nice number. Granted more is better, but the right clear 10acres can be had for under 100k.

Northern Cali is nice, I'd never say don't come here. Santa Cruz prolly sucks so that's why megayields is pissed.

If you're going to do OD I'd suggest Mendocino...the 25 plant rule is pretty favorable if you plan on nice trees

oldhaole

Veteran
It would depend on the terrain. I own five acres with a gulch. I can easily hide 10 big 12ft+ plus plants in there. The plants can not be seen from anywhere off my land.

Also depends on cover, which you can plant and water. A small property with a nice thorney hedge that can't be seen through would suit your needs.

It's not size of your property. It's how and where you decide to put your plants working with what you have.

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
so yeah, like the question says....Im looking to buy some property, and as i've been looking its been difficult to decide on what I want because i'm not sure the amount of acreage that would be sufficient to grow on.

I wanna do like a 25 plant smart pot grow in northern maine or california.
I have found some different properties, ranging in size from 20 acres to 3 acres, some with log cabins and others without etc.

Its hard to decide what would be best and how big is too big. I just want to be sure that ppl wont see my shit ya know.

idk im high and rambling. let me know what you think.

What I don't understand within your question is how you want us to help you making a decision.

First of all you are talking about two inherently different climates & price ranges.

Second the size of the property has little to nothing to do with the success of your "25 plant grow".

So...w/o trying to sound like an ass here...I recommend to get clear within yourself first, then move on and find out what you really want...and can afford.

;)

ronbo51

Veteran
like others said, it depends....are you just wanting to grow 25 plants, or are you looking for a home and a place to make your stand. I would choose Maine because of the money and availability of cheap land. So much to consider though. A reliable water source, electricity, privacy, 1/2 field, 1/2 woods for firewood and lumber, good sun exposure. In Maine you will not be able to grow the long season hybrids, but you can still grow good quality. Insatiable Boston market with high prices is alluring. Do it soon though. This coming weekend the Euro could well collapse and drag us all into Midieval shit.

JohnnyATL

Veteran
What I don't understand within your question is how you want us to help you making a decision.

First of all you are talking about two inherently different climates & price ranges.

Second the size of the property has little to nothing to do with the success of your "25 plant grow".

So...w/o trying to sound like an ass here...I recommend to get clear within yourself first, then move on and find out what you really want...and can afford.

;)

Well considering I only asked about acerage and not climate idk why your worried about that.

The point was to help me judge how big an acre really is. Its hard to tell when your looking on line and you see all different properties of all different size and you think to your self, shit how big do i need to go?

I know that it would be dope to have 20 ac but then again if i could do it well on 3 acres why spend the extra $$ on un needed land when i could put it in to fixing up a cabin or an eathen home.

I understand the importance of water and electricity, and the properties I have found are all within my price range.

as for the location, Cali and maine are in my top 2 because of the law, the climate, and the ability to ski in the winter. Im a big skiier and lived in the rockies last year. skied 85 days

S

SeaMaiden

5acres is plenty to keep prying eyes away, without being too big to watch over and work by yourself.

dddaver

Veteran
Bwahaha. I think somebody don't want the competition. They're the same ones who think giving out shitty grow information thinking they're protecting their wallets. Pretty shallow and stupid.

She told me once, "It ain't the size of the prize, it's the motion of the ocean honey." I said, "What you talkin' bout Willis? I be hung like a stallion." Anyway, same thing holds here. Hell, you can over-grow on a half acre.

I

In~Plain~Site

Ask open-ended questions,get open-ended answers...

Good luck getting raw land financed.

IMHO if we are talking square lots then privacy starts at around 4 acres. Look at the dimensions of the lot. How far can you get from your borders? Look at google maps and see where the neighbors are.

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
Well considering I only asked about acerage and not climate idk why your worried about that.

The point was to help me judge how big an acre really is. Its hard to tell when your looking on line and you see all different properties of all different size and you think to your self, shit how big do i need to go?

Dude you come to a board, ask a question and don't like the answer? lol

I see a certain naivety in the posts you are making in this thread. Maybe someone here should tell you premium outdoor in Cali is selling for as low as $800/lb this year.

You might be better off in Maine with your 25 plants...that's IF the weather there allows them to finish.

And by the way an acre
is a square parcel of land 208.71 feet on each side.

Maybe someone not knowing where to buy his parcel and what size he should be growing on not to mention seems to be disregarding the most important fact IF his plants are going to be able to finish in one of the two climates he is considering should re-think his future "career" lol ;)

JohnnyATL

Veteran
haha dude your such a hater, it cool though.

The point is that I am asking a specific question about the size of a parcel not all the other stuff you just want to talk about. If you would have just put the dimensions of an acre instead of all the other shit talk then maybe your post would have been helpful.

I have a general idea of where i want to buy land, and the specs of my grow....so other than what im asking about why are you posting here except to be a troll.

you dont think i understand that cali bud prices have dropped and that if i grow at a higher lat i might need to do a greenhouse or light dep so i can get them to finish.

you dont think people grow plenty of good bud in northern lat.

like i said your a hater and if you want to respond in my thread do so in a way that is helpful