What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

how long to purge under vacuum?

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Maybe your penis is very tiny, or perhaps the world you live in is very small and sad. Probably both.

A strong nay on the first point and I've been told it's nice many times. But I would never deny any accusations of social disability from being different and isolated and I don't care, because people have always noticed and isolated me in a negative way and I don't even have to say a word - I'm beyond caring at this point over 40 years later.

It's a fair cop that I left myself open for - my post should have been worded differently. But there was no such intent/feeling/emotion when writing it. Every time I post an offsite link, people complain of this or that issue that I obviously didn't have, and believe it or not that was a problem solving attempt from a simple flatlander.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^ still missing the point, guyzzz

"As it has unfortunately worked out with human evolution, those among us most trained and highly focused in their specific areas of expertise, are often as a result of that intense focus, relatively unfocused and insensitive to other areas, such as inter personal relationships"

Hey, at least GW understands my dismissive behavior, right...

Hard to be a technocrat and work around "our kind" a professional lifetime, without stumbling over some insightful clues regarding us'ns proclivities and clay feet.

For what it's worth, I have never been considered a professionally smooth and suave politically correct communicator, and had my foot in my mouth about as often as not over my career. Even more than now........

Often having to do with being right more often than I was appreciated for being so, because I pissed off brothers and sisters along the way.

I was fortunate to work for a company that regularly sent us to team building classes (charm school) and Edge training, to break off our stickers and round off corners, which is why some of us old war horses are so much more charming in our dotage.:tiphat::dueling::violin::beat-dead :biggrin:

Last edited:

matt11

I purge for 2-4 days most times, at 100f-105f and never really over 110f. And always get killer clear shatter.

Last edited:

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do you suspect a conspiracy brother SH??

The question is, are my other worldly suspicions of any hope in shielding us from Jeff Sessions, the bigoted new AG coming to keep us off his buddy Senator Grassley's ass?

Just a child, entertaining myself with my personal little toy model government. :laughing:

Someday I'll be an adult ruling myself, and supporting a real Universal democracy with my brothers and sisters.

:dance013:

Last edited:

TerpChild

My apologies again to Joe and to this forum. I very rarely behave like that. I imagined how it would be to be you guys dealing with a humanities graduate like myself, and i felt frustrated instantly...
I am grateful to all of you "technocrats", and i am trying to imitate you guys in scientific method and approach to extracting, which is the greatest form of flattery.
With experience comes wisdom, and i have now gained the wisdom to keep all negativity out of my future posts.
Much respect to the technocrats, much love to everyone, thanks for everything again you guys!

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My apologies again to Joe and to this forum. I very rarely behave like that. I imagined how it would be to be you guys dealing with a humanities graduate like myself, and i felt frustrated instantly...
I am grateful to all of you "technocrats", and i am trying to imitate you guys in scientific method and approach to extracting, which is the greatest form of flattery.
With experience comes wisdom, and i have now gained the wisdom to keep all negativity out of my future posts.
Much respect to the technocrats, much love to everyone, thanks for everything again you guys!

Technocrats don't get a pass, just some slack for their lack of social skills in trade for technical information. The onus is on both sides to make it work.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gray Wolf concerning water aspirators,"They will pull up to about -28.5" Hg, which is enough for vacuum filtration."

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=7811914&postcount=60

So I tried a BHO vacuum purge at 108F down to only the 30,000 micron level, about -28.8" Hg.

Soaked an oz of wholly untrampled Gorilla Glue flower tops twice using three cans of Crown.

The extraction jar was reading 4-10F. The solution in the dish appeared very light coral, new to me.

I let the boil off dish get up to about 90F, scrapped to parchment, purged as stated above for about an hour, backing off three times as it muffined up, and then waited for the bubbling to slow to a crawl.

Hard hitting rushy/buzzy high, but no full body of flavor like I get when I grind the nuggs first.

I'm going to continue experimenting with this direction of minimal BHO purging technique, unless I find the results are found to be unsatisfactory.

Attachments

• P1020682.jpg
    P1020682.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 15
  • P1020685.jpg
    P1020685.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 12
  • P1020686.jpg
    P1020686.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 11
  • P1020687.jpg
    P1020687.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 17
  • P1020688.jpg
    P1020688.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 13
  • P1020692.jpg
    P1020692.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 14
  • P1020693.jpg
    P1020693.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 14
  • P1020695.jpg
    P1020695.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 15

blastfrompast

Veteran
SH:

U get yourself a venturi too ?

For those wondering....save the time and buy one.....building one is a bit of an art to get the most suction....

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have one, I bought it a couple of years ago when I thought I'd be experimenting with ethanol and low Bp petroleum ether second step purifications.

Attachments

• P1020697.jpg
    P1020697.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 12

frog357

Can anyone chime in with their purge techniques who regularly gets their product tested for residual solvents? I have seen some people recommend to purge for as hot as 115f and flip every 4-6 hours. How many hours at this temp? What are your PPMs with this technique? I spoke with some large processors who say a full 72hrs+ time for reheat between flips so more like 80 hours in the end. They strive for 0-100ppm. They never turn off the pumps. We should all get this down so the industry can have a solid reference. A lot of people come here for information and go back and rely on this to make medicine for others. I would love to have a solid reliable reference that people can count on. In Michigan someone decided to start putting everyone on blast for not purging properly but looking back most people I speak with come here for information...

montroller

I hit under 100 ppm in 8 hours but the last bits will take forever to get out. Usually do 10-15 minute heats with 30-45 minute pulls and stay flipping super often. Temp can vary a lot and depends on the starting material. Unknown strains will usually start between 90f -105f and get bumped up as needed never going over 115f but getting that hot pretty often with trim runs.

frog357

Thanks for the solid information! Does the quality and type of vacuum make a difference here? So if I run an Across International 9cfm vs a Welch 1400 DuoSeal or some other rotary vane style pump? I was thinking ideally I would start with the faster AI 9cfm to pull and then finish with the Welch for the long haul. Maybe that is just overkill, I am not sure if I am comfortable leaving these AI pumps running for so long.

prune

Veteran
Purging the crap out of trim runs is d'regueur in the industry, as most like to get their lpg ppm below their terpene levels, but purging terpene rich nug runs is pure artistry...

The best recommendation is experience and experimentation. Try pulling sequential samples in your purge run as the process plays out and have those samples tested. As Montroller mentions, you can spend forever trying to get those last few 100ppm's out of the slab, and all that time you're pulling ancillaries out a scary rate. You will be surprised how easy it is to get below a more realistic 500ppm goal.

Flavor is more than taste...

Last edited:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Purging the crap out of trim runs is d'regueur in the industry, as most like to get their lpg ppm below their terpene levels, but purging terpene rich nug runs is pure artistry...

The best recommendation is experience and experimentation. Try pulling sequential samples in your purge run as the process plays out and have those samples tested. As Montroller mentions, you can spend forever trying to get those last few 100ppm's out of the slab, and all that time you're pulling ancillaries out a scary rate. You will be surprised how easy it is to get below a more realistic 500ppm goal.

Flavor is more than taste...

Butane is relatively non toxic, despite the grave concerns expressed by some brothers and sisters.

The FDA rates simple alkane butane as GRAS, or generally regarded as safe, and as a Class III solvent, same as ethanol.

Starting with cotton candy, we were consistently below 500 ppm residual butane in about four hours (~375ppm) at 115F @ -29.5" Hg.

At that level running Agent Orange flower, the ~7% monoterpenes were so intense that butane was undetectable by odor or taste.

frog357

Thank you Grey Wolf! I am not personally worried about butane and I laugh inside whenever I see someone talking about how they can taste the butane. (not at these levels you can't.) I agree with your statements and felt like the industry over here was making a fuss over nothing. I see part of their plan as having a good purpose, if people are charging upwards of $75 a gram and not purging it below 1000ppm those people should be exposed. Many others are able to purge below 100ppm and not charge so much. I felt like it was an action by a lab to attempt to drum up business in the form of having everything tested (good for them). They are using their own baseline of 500ppm total residuals. I think we should create a graph that shows terpene levels vs RST levels over purge time.

Is the type of pump a major factor here? I use the cotton candy tech and purge at 105-110f for more than 8 hours with a few flips and still seen my levels just over 1000ppm for n-butane. I am concerned my pump isn't going deep enough. I have an AI 9cfm.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you Grey Wolf! I am not personally worried about butane and I laugh inside whenever I see someone talking about how they can taste the butane. (not at these levels you can't.) I agree with your statements and felt like the industry over here was making a fuss over nothing. I see part of their plan as having a good purpose, if people are charging upwards of $75 a gram and not purging it below 1000ppm those people should be exposed. Many others are able to purge below 100ppm and not charge so much. I felt like it was an action by a lab to attempt to drum up business in the form of having everything tested (good for them). They are using their own baseline of 500ppm total residuals. I think we should create a graph that shows terpene levels vs RST levels over purge time.

Is the type of pump a major factor here? I use the cotton candy tech and purge at 105-110f for more than 8 hours with a few flips and still seen my levels just over 1000ppm for n-butane. I am concerned my pump isn't going deep enough. I have an AI 9cfm.

It goes faster at the temperature that the pool is molten. I suggest you crank the temperature up a mite.

What vacuum levels are you running at?