What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How LED Lighting May Compromise Your Health

Ca++

The first post is obviously a compilation with considerable repetition. Not a coherent work. Which tells us a lot about it's scientific merit, at a time you could still actually buy most of the lamps spoke of.

Today we have blue in our sights, as the colour doing damage. This is no surprise to our eyes, who's pupils barely respond to red light, compared to the contraction seen when we are exposed to blue. Thus, hunters use red light, to not hurt their night vision.

The latest LEDs, backed by the points system that gets energy star ratings, are having to reduce the blue peak. The standard course of action, is to create two blue peaks of a lesser magnitude, that together, offer the energy of the one greater magnitude peak, we tend to get. This is where office lighting is today.

I'm interested in how our plants would behave. Usually our one blue peak, is on the chlorophyll peak. This leaves it a little exposed. We are ignoring the protective effect of the flanking peaks. When choosing which two blue peaks, then tend to be these flanking peaks. The action of whom is supporting the main peaks processes.

The amount of blue we can give our plant, before damage, will be higher if we make proper use of these flanking carotinoids. Not just put all our energy onto chlorophyll development. As it runs away with itself, without the carotiniods at full function.
It's a bit like that 'sun is better' idea. I have looked at a number of blue light papers, and they all seem to use a single blue peak. It's what they find on the shelf. I feel they are researching something, we may soon stop doing. I see the next phase in our lights evolution, being the addition of this two peaks blue. Along side our one peak. Giving a wider, more inclusive blue peak. Allowing the plant to work in more natural conditions.

Being someone on the middle of the fence with zero LED experience,I can't help but feel there is some kind of agenda going on here.You would think during the experimental and pre-production phase this would have become more widely known.You can bet the producers and retailers of flourescents and incandescents would be sounding off loudly about this danger wouldn't you?
Yeah like cell phone makers sound alarms all day on how their products kill people and cause brain cancer lol, everything is hidden and not shown to the public - we know they hide their shit, money talks.
Leds are not healthy to no living organism, this is known for so long it's not new news.
But that's why they push them all around us !
You think they want you to be healthy ? Lol what a joke.
It's funny how people are so naive today, that this question is even asked

HIDs make light in a different way, but still not safe if you look straight at the arc tube, like looking at the sun, you can sense it's not a thing you should do.

I love Leds for what they offer, but it needs to be researched more in the field of agriculture use.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
The UV light will turn your eye lenses hard and yellow like the back window of an old MG convertible. They can replace the lenses with ones that won’t react to UV. Called cataract surgery. That is why the UV glasses are important.