What's new

How good are autos these days

Clive

Hi was just wondering if anyone has tried the newer autos that are out now. I was reading in some of the cannabis magazines that some are as potent as normal strains but I want to hear confirmation from some seasoned expert smokers like yourselves thought ?

I have tried the joint doctors diesel rider but didn't like it found it a bit weak and white dwarf that a friend grew but again found it weak. Are the newer ones stronger than those ?. Many thanks.

tetragrammaton

Veteran
Eh.. I'm currently living in Chile where there's been a "growing explosion" lately. We've got new magazines, headshops, growshops, seedshops, the internet, etc... and people are starting to get into cultivating. The only problem is, the majority are growing autos. They seem to be the "plant of choice", and all the false advertising from the magazine ads is whats to blame. They have the nicest pictures, and it's advertised as the best way to get bud fast. It's really a shame, because people are going out and buying decent growing equipment only to waste it by growing a small yielding, weak auto.

With that said, I've gotten to sample many well grown samples. The autos today, compared to the ones from 06-07, are WAY better. They are mostly indica dominant, as far as apperanace, taste, density. The high and yield are what ruin them for me, and are why I will never grow autos.

The high kicks in fast and pretty strong, you feel medicated like you would on a nice heavy indica, but it lasts maybe 30 minutes best, and then you have to smoke more, and it's still not very strong. Most indicas that we know and love have at least some sativa in them, to give them more of a "high". Not autos. It's a very physical, dreamy, stony high that lasts for a very short amount of time. Definately progress from the old autos, like Lowyrder and Mdanzigs originals like Power Stout and the Master Kush auto, the high IS there, it just is short and weak.

It's really unfortunate that people are growing such shitty strains here, all because of misguided information and false advertising. The ads in the magazines make autos seem like Gods Gift to the world. I'll go into a grow shop and people in front of me will be buying equipment for their shitty little autoflowering plants, that won't produce worth shit.

If youre an outdoor grower, or a commercial grower, sure, plant a bunch, and get rid of it. But if its for legit personal, medical, or for real patients, grow something else.

mack 10

Veteran
big ups Chile! Shame about the auto's. Chile, would't it be great for sativa's,no?
mack.

I would rather run a sub 60 day strain from clone or 12/12 from seed. It should finsh around the same time and you could yeild more per light .

tetragrammaton

Veteran
Yeah it is a real shame for the exact reason you mentioned. The sativas here are great. We get a lot of Colombian sativas. Punta Rojo is pretty common, Gold, not as, but definately available. Also a lot of great sativas come from Paraguay. I grew some outdoors last year, unfortunately they hermied, but they were still great pure sativas, great energetic/pyschedelic rush with each hit. That's why it bothers me that autos are taking over the industry here. I feel it's more detrimental than if Indica genes flooded the country.

Luckily, there are still a lot of great growers and great strains and cuttings floating around here. But you've got to know a grower, be a grower, or get your shit from the growers, otherwise, if you go and buy high end buds, you'll more than likely get autos. It's either that, or outgrown imported sativa, which I'd choose any day of the week.

Rinse

Veteran
Durty dragon from mossy seeds is as strong as anything, similar potency to deep chunk.

Lung.Butter

Some of sweet seeds autos are actually pretty good. Never going to be killer potent but you will get some smokable weed which is more than can be said for the vast majority of other autos. Something fun to do in the greenhouse at least.

Dkgrower

Veteran
I must also amit that there are some great auto lines out there.

If u grow outdoors in a shitty climate like mine then autos can be good to try out, check some out and see fore u self.

i always put some out just to see what can do and many times they are stronger than my oldschoole outdoor strains, the days off lowrider is long gorn

But if u look fore strong smoke then dont waste your time on autos, grow indoor or light dep outdoor

Clive

Cool thanks for your responses guys very helpful think I'm gonna stick with regular strains for now then come summer give them go outside. It does seem however from what iv read they have come on a long way from five or six years ago.

La Buena Hierba

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I must also amit that there are some great auto lines out there.

If u grow outdoors in a shitty climate like mine then autos can be good to try out, check some out and see fore u self.

i always put some out just to see what can do and many times they are stronger than my oldschoole outdoor strains, the days off lowrider is long gorn

But if u look fore strong smoke then dont waste your time on autos, grow indoor or light dep outdoor

indeed there are manny great autoflowering strains thise day's
i mezelf work on autoflowering Haze's/Sativa;s for years now and they smoke like haze powerfull high notting like old auto strains
i never understand indoor growing of autoflowers i maked my strains for us noordic Sativa /haze lovers that wane grow outdoors :woohoo:

here some pictures of some of my autoflowering work

grow by BadTicket BH's AH outdoor from Finland, 60N
picture.php

picture.php

and here a indoor grow from Bighill
lbh;s Autflowering Asian Haze
51918d1324668372-autoflower-asian-haze-test-grow-asianhaze-newb25.jpg

51921d1324668360-autoflower-asian-haze-test-grow-asianhaze-budshot7.jpg

more on this link/url https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=133124&page=36

i still do early strains too but thise auto's are great too i spread harvest and rist on rippers

sorry for my bad englsih hoop you guy's understand it a bit lol

peace LBH

Hempsmoke

Hey
I have only grown 1 auto strain (popped 4 seeds), namely auto ak from Spliff Seeds, but i have to say it was some really nice smoke. despite the differences in height they all were frosty as hell.
And i mean really, really frosty. Even the big leafs were covered in crystals, simply jaw droppig.
The potency was good, nothing special but i would never trade it for any weed available here simply because the ak was better.
Some of my friends even claimed it was the best weed they ever smoked.:rolleyes:
Personally i wouldnt go as far to say that, but still i was positively surprised by the auto ak, so much that i now have one growing again ;)

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
The high kicks in fast and pretty strong, you feel medicated like you would on a nice heavy indica, but it lasts maybe 30 minutes best, and then you have to smoke more, and it's still not very strong.

This is not usually a trait of cannabis... this is usually what happens when it's harvested early. Exactly what happens when you smoke immature bud... yep. ;)

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

tetragrammaton

Veteran
Well, I respectfully disagree, it's a completely different experience from smoking an immature bud, and, I don't claim to have tried every autoflowering strain available, but in my personal experience with the indica-dominant autos i've tried, that's the effect, and to be honest, I'm not knocking it. In fact it was better than some other non-auto strains, blackberry kush and commercial GDP come to mind, and were actually quite similar in the high, or lack of.

With that said, I'm sure it would be great for someone who likes a mild-medium strength physical, comfortable high. Maybe for specific medical ailments, or for people with low tolerances, non-knockout indicas, etc...

But that's not me, and it doesn't help my medical condition in the least. I prefer strains that kick my ass, even with my high tolerance, and plenty of strains like that exist, I've just never encountered an auto like that.

I feel that autoflowering strains are perfect for outdoor growers, such as the strains by La Buena Hierba. It makes sense, they can't grow a normal strain in their climate outdoors. And, perhaps autoflowering plants are good for impatient indoor growers who don't want to, or don't have access to clones.

My main issue, and fear, is that before long, everything will have some ruderalis genes in it, just like how nowadays virtually everything is an indica/sativa hybrid to some degree. I don't see that being a good thing. For example, what happens if I'm trying to veg plants for 2-3+ months, or keep a mother plant indefniately. If it was autoflowering, that wouldn't be possible.

Sitting Bull

i have grown them outside in DK.. 55N... croos of onyx and bubbelgum.. and they were great... really fat...lots of resin and a great stone for 2.. 3 hours.. I cant even smoke a whole joint of that stuff.. all thanks to LaLa and HFH

THC123

Veteran
I think people bitching bout autos just dont grow them well

I have smoked some fine weed in my life, also lots of cupsamples

I have a collection of 28 moms including some nice cup winning cuts like sssdh and amnesia etc...

And I fucking tell you that if you grow, dry cure and store autos well they are very nice tasty strains with a strong high, maybe not THE strongest but certainly not weak and comparable to many "normal" strains, even lowryder 2 is kickass if grown well

If you only get high 30 minutes you are probably just smoking too much

tetragrammaton

Veteran
I think you hit the nail on the head. Everyone that is defending autos for the most part, is the first to admit, like the poster above me, "maybe not THE strongest", or "its great bud, obviously not the best, or the strongest", etc...

That is the number one reason why I have no intentions on ever growing an auto, unless the day comes where an autoflower strain becomes hand down way more potent than a regular one. And, I don't have to, my outdoor climate is perfect to flower any long sativa, and my indoor climate is perfect for whatever I want it to be.

I'm not hating on autos, I'm sharing my experience, and I also don't care how good it looks or tastes if it isn't going to kick my ass. That's the whole reason I grow, is so I can grow plants that are AAA. I'm not trying to grow buds that are comparable to whats on the market, and I'm not trying to grow anything less than AAA.

And I'll say it again, I have not tried every autoflowering plant out there, especially none of the badass looking/sounding/hazy ones from La Buena Hierba.

I have smoked every autoflowering strain from buddha seeds, original LR 1 & 2, as well as Power Stout and Masterlow from Mdanzig. They were all nice looking, tasting, and definately worked, and I'll agree with you, it is definately comparable to many "medical", indica dominant strains that you can get at a dispensary, but nothing close to the strongest, and I personally prefer sativa dominant hybrids.

I'm simply trying to share my experience, for people who want to start growing, and want to grow the strongest strain they can, because they'll simply be let down if they're used to smoking high ends.

So you can see I'm not hating on autoflowering strains, here is a list of benefits I came up with: Great for early outdoor harvests if youre a commercial grower, Great for an experiment or some extra bud grown in your veg room, Great outdoors for people in climates that can't flower long flowering strains, Great for people who don't have access to anything better quality, great for people who aren't looking for the best or strongest meds.

But, if you don't fit the above criteria, I see no reason whatsoever to grow an autoflowering strain. That's what I don't like about autoflowering strains and the seed companies and their advertisements. It's all false advertising aimed at people who've never grown a plant in their life. They get all excited by the pictures of nice looking buds on a small plant, and see that its supposedly "fast and potent", and "easy to grow", so they all jump on the bandwagon and then the market will get flooded with shitty decent at best weed, and the funny thing is, these people probably actually think it's good, because they've never had anything better.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
I think people bitching bout autos just dont grow them well

I have smoked some fine weed in my life, also lots of cupsamples

I have a collection of 28 moms including some nice cup winning cuts like sssdh and amnesia etc...

And I fucking tell you that if you grow, dry cure and store autos well they are very nice tasty strains with a strong high, maybe not THE strongest but certainly not weak and comparable to many "normal" strains, even lowryder 2 is kickass if grown well

If you only get high 30 minutes you are probably just smoking too much

This, saved me a lot of typing, truth.

also "If you only get high 30 minutes you are probably just harvesting it too early like most people do with most weed.

indeed there are manny great autoflowering strains thise day's
i mezelf work on autoflowering Haze's/Sativa;s for years now and they smoke like haze powerfull high notting like old auto strains
i never understand indoor growing of autoflowers i maked my strains for us noordic Sativa /haze lovers that wane grow outdoors :woohoo:

here some pictures of some of my autoflowering work

grow by BadTicket BH's AH outdoor from Finland, 60N
View Image
View Image

and here a indoor grow from Bighill
lbh;s Autflowering Asian Haze
View Image
View Image

more on this link/url https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=133124&page=36

i still do early strains too but thise auto's are great too i spread harvest and rist on rippers

sorry for my bad englsih hoop you guy's understand it a bit lol

peace LBH

can these be bought anywhere?also what time did u sow /harvest?

i'm also very interested in pure sativa-sativa landraces autoflower.. like colombian gold autoflowering,thai etc. this could be an exellent chance to grow almost 100 % sativa geneteics outdoor

any other good 'pure' sativa AF to share experience about?

Smakki

hm, why not 12/12 from seed?
I tried autos, especially jock horror from sativa seedbank was great, but I really don't get it except for outdoor..outdoor autos are great, but indoors? why would you wanna do that?