What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

how germinate seeds in paper towel

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Yup. Boogieman's method. I got lazy once and did it that way. Works well. So that's how I do it now. But I have lots of seeds. I get about 95%.

If I bought them, I'd soak, paper towel, baggie, and heat source. 100%

I'm surprised by the number of people who use the paper towel method. I'm not judging, but any time you handle a seed with an exposed tap root you are taking a chance on compromising it. Personally, I fill the hole in a 3" rockwool cube with pre wetted Light Warrior and sow about a 1/8 to 1/4" deep and place under a humidity dome. When roots come out the bottom, usually less than a week, the cube goes directly into its pot. In my case, Smart Pot with coco.

'Boogieman'

I'm surprised by the number of people who use the paper towel method. I'm not judging, but any time you handle a seed with an exposed tap root you are taking a chance on compromising it. Personally, I fill the hole in a 3" rockwool cube with pre wetted Light Warrior and sow about a 1/8 to 1/4" deep and place under a humidity dome. When roots come out the bottom, usually less than a week, the cube goes directly into its pot. In my case, Smart Pot with coco.

I never lost one during transfer, pick up the seed gently and put it in a shallow hole, I never lost one during the transfer from paper towel to soil. Worst that can happen is the roots go into the paper towel but this only happens if they are in the paper towel way to long.

Lots of awesome tips already in thread.
I just want to repeat the wisdom already said about “damp, not wet.”

I suspect too-wet paper towels probably kill more seeds than anything else, second-leading cause probably being too warm temps.

The great thing about putting the damp paper towel in a baggie is that it slows the evaporation so much, most paper towels so contained won’t need a second wetting, greatly reducing the chances of overwetting the emerging taproot.

Just my own experience.

Organik

The paper towel method will NOT work with 20 year old landrace seeds as these require some beneficial bacteria to successfully germinate.

Last edited:

Mr. J

Paper towels are an unnecessary step. If they're going to to pop in paper then they'll also pop in anything else with the proper moisture. It's just adding an extra step to the process and an opportunity to screw things up.

canniption

sprouts aren't as delicate as most think, I've had to cut some of the roots from the papertowel and they still germed.also to get pencil straight roots I clip the bag to a clipboard and hang it on the wall vertically.gravity does the rest.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
sprouts aren't as delicate as most think, I've had to cut some of the roots from the papertowel and they still germed.also to get pencil straight roots I clip the bag to a clipboard and hang it on the wall vertically.gravity does the rest.
Sure, but, did the plant do as well as it would have without the stress of being cut out of the paper towel? Realistically, the seeds can survive insane conditions that would blow our minds, but that has to have an effect on yield right? And I mean who's to even say it's a negative one? Maybe some strains love a little bit of stress the way some people are adrenaline junkies?

Fitzera

Paper towels are an unnecessary step. If they're going to to pop in paper then they'll also pop in anything else with the proper moisture. It's just adding an extra step to the process and an opportunity to screw things up.

I prefer the added step as it allows me to see if the seed cracks and a tap root emerges, or not. That removes the step of planting a seed into soil that may not be successful. So kind of like cancelling out steps

Mr. J

I prefer the added step as it allows me to see if the seed cracks and a tap root emerges, or not. That removes the step of planting a seed into soil that may not be successful. So kind of like cancelling out steps
Okay, but that isn't cancelling any steps. It's the same number, and only if unsuccessful. Still an extra step if things go right, which is what I shoot for.

Fitzera

Okay, but that isn't cancelling any steps. It's the same number, and only if unsuccessful. Still an extra step if things go right, which is what I shoot for.

Lol I think that's what we all shoot for!

Seed doesnt successfully germinate, doesnt get a solo cup (solo cup step removed for that seed ;))
But I totally get what you're saying as an extra step, I just prefer knowing a seed has started prior to me burying it than waiting for a seed to come up not knowing if it is or not. If a seed doesnt start for me in papertowel, I start a replacement.

Mr. J

I used to worry too but now I just put my faith in the seed. They usually come up. I start them in those tiny shot glass solo cups and stick them under a dome to keep them from drying out before they sprout. If I have any laggers I can just forget about them and they are still in an optimum environment for germination. I've had more trouble with paper towels going moldy with slow seeds, and once one goes bad it spreads to the rest pretty quickly. My way they all have their own separate place. If they never come up I just toss the cup in the trash.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Hi there;as example take a case when a seedling germinates in few hours, and it can happen . 24h soaking would kill it . Keep in mind water is simply as important as oxygen while germinating .

I agree with this, and I would advise you to check your seeds at the 12 hour mark, and often after the first 24 hours using the paper towel method.

I've had seedlings get away from me in the paper towels, and I would go to check on them. and they had two inch tails. Which I could not get into rockwool cubes, LOL!

Also, if the air is dry where you are, know this: if your paper towel dries out, it's game over for those seeds.

As far as soaking seeds before putting them in paper towels, personally I would only do this with really old seeds or seeds that I know will be stubborn. If the seeds are halfway fresh, they should germinate in the paper towel with no pre-soaking, JMO.

I use RO water for everything, and I use it pure for soaking my paper towels.

Anyway, after some experimentation, that's how I do it.

Fitzera

I used to worry too but now I just put my faith in the seed. They usually come up. I start them in those tiny shot glass solo cups and stick them under a dome to keep them from drying out before they sprout. If I have any laggers I can just forget about them and they are still in an optimum environment for germination. I've had more trouble with paper towels going moldy with slow seeds, and once one goes bad it spreads to the rest pretty quickly. My way they all have their own separate place. If they never come up I just toss the cup in the trash.

I've never thought about using those small solo cups...how long does it normally take before you up pot(cup) them?

Mr. J

I've never thought about using those small solo cups...how long does it normally take before you up pot(cup) them?
They're happy in those cups for five days to a week maybe. If I don't get around to it, then they're still fine in the little cup as long as they don't dry out, not ideal but I'm a pro at keeping plants thriving in ridiculously small pots. I also clone into those little shot glasses filled with straight coco. I used to use rockwool but I like the cups and coco better because I don't have to worry about potting the second roots show, instead they have a bit of room to grow into.

Where would they be found? Would giving them a bath in Tea work?

Tea bath sounds good, but may be unnecessary extra work because worm castings mixed into the initial medium work well.

On second thought, since the germination itself is what we’re talking about... yeah, a vermitea soak sounds great.

Now the question is... will vermitea cure a New Years hangover?jk

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Has anyone used Gibberellic Acid to help old seeds?
Isn't that found in most rooting compounds? I dipped some of my erdpurt in rooting hormone when I was having problems germinating, but I still didn't get any to germinate. I'm not sure that was the compound as much as very old seeds.

Latest posts

Latest posts