What's new

How do you start large amounts of seeds outdoors

B

bajangreen

I was wondering how one would start 500 magic beans outdoors, in the wild, gorilla style:tiphat: (with out losing most of them.) thanks for your help in advance.

G

Guest 315072

lol .. u plant like atleast 4 times the amount u want to cut down.. and even thats a stretch.. u need to have a greenhuose or have some sort of way to keep animals and bugs away from the seedlings. and for them to germ outside and grow fast is eh? most start seedling indoors then transfer them out..

idiit

Veteran
i'm from kansas and grew in some of the richest soil on earth. pretty much everyone there back in the day grew from seeds planted straight in the soil. i'm now in a different area and no seed will germinate in this soil per my experience ( 1000's of failures).

try a few in the soil first to make sure they can even germinate in your soil.

the bugs and mice will probably wipe out any fortunate survivor seedlings.

the rabbits will probably finish off whatever survives the bugs.

transplant well establish seedlings ( i need 10 in. deep root-balls to survive here). if you don't have a place to get 'em started get a friend who does and cut him some end product as payment. don't show anyone your "patch" ever.

^that's my perspective fwiw.

B

bajangreen

Snails and birds do me in every time. i tryed lots of times but they all ways get eaten or not enough water. i want to do like 500 so that would mean 1500 beans? thats a lot! lol

I once started them in pots? with bird netting (a mini greenhose live2grow) but the snails cut them down, dident even eat them just cut them down.

B

bajangreen

any one know of any links to any seed starting methods for outdoors? i currently cut the tops off of pet bottles to use as green houses, take the cork off though or the bottles sweat and kill the young ones, this works well of 50 or so but i cant do this for 500+ beans. and i don't want to involve anyone.

4grow

I know of someone locally who uses plastic sandwich baggies.

I have not witnessed this personally so I don't know the exact details but it sounded neat.

He puts a scoop of starter dirt and a seed in each bag with a little water. Each bag becomes its own greenhouse and it gets cold here so that can be important.

He grows the seedlings out to a certain little size (probably not too much) and then puts them in a tub and takes them out to the woods. I think he may open up the baggies at some point after germination.

He cuts a slit in the bottom of the bag and plants it in his hole.

I think he does many, many bags this way.

4g

July

If your doing it GG style, then id suggest making some sort of small box from wooden 2 by1" batons, cover the box in chicken wire, and then in clear plastic and you have a mini greenhouse, you will need to find somewhere over grown with good light to hide the box, but you can fit multiple seed trays in there depending on how big you make the box and go that way. Is a safer way than planting straight into the ground anyway, but its an extra hour or two to make the box

I was wondering how one would start 500 magic beans outdoors, in the wild, gorilla style:tiphat: (with out losing most of them.) thanks for your help in advance.
:dance013:Seems to be you may be biting off more than you can chew! I have never seen a 500 seed sucessful first guerilla grow! IMHO!:dance013:

B

bajangreen

:dance013:Seems to be you may be biting off more than you can chew! I have never seen a 500 seed sucessful first guerilla grow! IMHO!:dance013:

Wouldn't you like this to be the first one YOU see? Ones post count should not be used as an indicator of grow experience. I am pretty sure in my career i ran much more numbers than you. But who knows the truth, you could even be DE PEOPLES.

I don't even assume your a girl, but if you are prove it, show us your tits!:thank you:

B

bajangreen

That sounds good but in reality i would just be feeding the wild life. i am in this for gain, this method is to random for me. a mini green house (10fby10f) will have to do, but i fear it will stick out like a sore tumb.

Been thinking, if i used fem seeds i would be able to get the final plant count to 500 useing much less beans.:woohoo: i been reading up on colloidal silver and willing to give it a try. in fact i think i will get a generator up and running now.

D.D.

I had the rare opportunity to visit a such a large *from seed* bed back in the 1980's.
Hundreds of seedlings grown vintage tobacco bed style at the end of a long deep hollow.

You will literally need to turn 1/4 acre or so, tarp and gas it (if you can find the gas).
Then till it. Re-tarp and gas again...

Lay off your rows a few weeks later, plant and cover with canvass.

Transplant when they are 6 inches or so tall...

Plant your starter bed with veggies... LEO will wonder why someone plowed and didn't plant, so yeah... veggies replace the seedlings.

That is the general idea.

Good Luck!

And just in case LEO is reading,
High! Don't be out busting peoples lettuce beds up.

Walmart Baby!

if it were me i would get 6-7 of these
images

and a small camping tent to keep them safe and keep animals out while in the bush

D.D.

whats gass DD and whats the tarp for?
Well the gas and heavy canvass/tarp is used in combination to "sterilize" the ground - it kills everything, more/less.
(If you find a place that sells 'backer bed gas let me know...)

Tobacco Farmers use "Float Beds" (basically hydroponics) to start seeds now days...

[I deleted a whole paragraph simply because I was going way off topic]

Let me go back and see if I even mentioned tobacco in my first reply, or if I only assumed you knew what I was talking about.

D.D.

After you have "sterilized" the ground, you will want to remove the tarp, lat out your rows, and plant your seeds... Then replace with a white canvass that will keep the sun from beaming down too brightly on your seedlings and burning them, protect them from a light frost, large bugs and birds... I think you get the idea.

You will need to fence around the germination bed for obvious reasons...
Transplant them to their final spot when they get about 6 to 8 inches tall.

But I also have to wonder how your going to pull off a 500 plant guerrilla grow.
If you can do it, go for it man!
Pulling off a guerrilla grow with that many plants is way beyond my abilities.

Talk to an old school tobacco farmer for more information about gassing, tarps and canvass.

D.D.

Oh yeah, before I forget...
If those buds get so fat and dense that the stalk has a hard time supporting them, you'll need some real tall tobacco sticks to stake those babies up with.

K

KSP

Walmart Baby!

if it were me i would get 6-7 of these
View Image

and a small camping tent to keep them safe and keep animals out while in the bush

Looks like a good route to go. A small tent with the rain fly removed to give some diffuse light inside. I'm sure you can rig up a wick or something to keep the pucks moist.

I don't think anyone needs to be gassing ground for a seedling bed, either. The agent used is methalbromide = bromomethane; most of the world has quit using it at all. It is known to be detrimental to atmospheric ozone, is a carcinogen, and has other detrimental effects on human physiology. There is absolutely no reason why you would need this stuff to start your cannabis.

Bajangreen, check out this thread for some good information, and best wishes bro, I want to see those sativas do well in that tropical sun!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=58327&highlight=patch