What's new

How do you keep cats out of your planting beds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bumping this thread.

I've still got cat issues in my yard and am ready to buy something to keep these shitting bastards away. Ideally, I would have a dog to scare them away, but it's not an option right now - especially in the front yard garden which has no fence. I was thinking of getting one of the water scarecrows, but I don't really have a proper area for placement that will prevent myself or our mailman from getting soaked every time we come home. I don't really have a problem against cats in general, but I DO have a problem with owners who let their cats free-roam and spread their feces and fleas around the neighborhood and into my vegetable garden!

Wondering if anyone has any input on the ultrasonic deterrent devices? I see there are several of them on Amazon - which one do you have and how well does it work?

Current methods have been Dog/Cat pellet repellent (capsaicin), mulching with bark everywhere, DIY "anti-pigeon" strips on the fence (made of cut/bent chicken wire stapled down to top-plate), forks/objects protruding from soil, citrus/orange peels, planting lots of lavender, and lastly an air-soft gun at every door (works the best for immediate results but doesn't keep them away).

KGB47

"It's just a flesh wound"
Veteran
Plant marigolds, cats hate the smell, also try used coffee grounds, they don't like them at all. I have found that our neighbors cats ignore the citrus peels i put out around the fence area so we gave up on those.

PS: I put up a chicken wire fence (small mesh) around my garden about 5 foot high, it worked.

B

bonecarver_OG

i got lots of cats in my garden and i grow a lot of veggies. the cats i have are clean, and also keep my garden clean of pests like rats and snakes.

cats prefeer to do their business in loose soil. i just make sure the cats dont get to little seedlings, with a wire fence and thats it. also i rake up some loose soil for the cats under some lemon tree or such and they do gladly their business there. later i just leave it for the trees to use once its turned into soil.

a REALLY good method to keep cats from shitting in a flower bed, is by covering the flower bed with wire mesh, cut holes for the plants - and thats it. if the cats cant dig, they wont shit or pee there. even cloth for keeping bad herbs at bay works wel..

really its cruel to put out poisoned milk, or any traps or such. cant say at all that i like the idea of that.

peace

serious6

poison my cat and i will make you eat the same. you can get "cat b gone" at most vets or wire grid slightly electrified like a calf fence.

imo any1 who uses poison on domestic aniamals is a creep

the cat litter and poo poo i put near my outdoor garden to drive the mice and rodents away. vinegar diluted spray works great too

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
picture.php

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Why don't you try planting some catnip around the perimeter of your garden? I'm not sure what the issue is. A little cat shit will not hurt you plants.

R.Fortune

KGB47

"It's just a flesh wound"
Veteran
really its cruel to put out poisoned milk, or any traps or such. cant say at all that i like the idea of that.

peace

Agreed, people that hurt animals because of a little inconvenience to themselves are assholes. Just fence them out.

Proper

Last year I bought a kitten from the local shelter for $100. A few weeks later I ordered BOG's Sour Bubble and started growing them. Out of 10 seeds 5 germed and sprouted. Out of the 5 my new kitten ate 4 of them leaving me with 1. It ended up being a female with great smoke.

B

bonecarver_OG

:)

making a cylinder out of wiremesh is easy. just cut a square piece, roll it into a tube,and put it over the little seedling. if u put some mesh on the top also, birds cant get to the seedlings either.

peace

S

stratmandu

Hate to reply so late, but nothing beats a trap and a can of cheap tuna in oil. I had like 10 feral cats living in the woods/drainage near my crib, and they shit in everything and drive my dogs nuts, and then had kittens. This lady across the street feeds them, but when I talked to her about her at least spaying them she would have none of it, and said they weren't her problem. Sorry 'bout that, as we used to say in the late sixties.

We rented a Hav-a-hart style cage trap from county animal control, and I put it right up by the house by the trash can, with a piece of cloth covering it up except the door. I tied the door up with a cable tie for the weekend and cable-tied a can of tuna in the back. I replenished the tuna (only about a quarter of a can at a time so one can lasts 4 days).

Then one night, I armed the trap. I caught 5 cats in a week, and took them all to animal control the next day. No charge to drop off feral cats (well I do pay tax, don't I?). Most were fairly young half-grown and they said they would likely be adopted since they were cool looking, young, and not wild. The adults I knew were doomed if I took them to A.C., so those I "gave a ride" in the country. I can live with the karma. If I caught any with collars, I would release them immediately, but I never did. (There are leash laws yes)

I only have 2 left and I'm gonna catch them next week.

HTH YMMV Not one kitty was harmed, they were deported, that's all. :)

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
To advise someone to inflict that kind of pain on something makes you a dickhead......

yeah. panadol in milk. that's soluble aspirin. fucks their livers. they die an irreversible, slow and supposedly painful death. (someone who talks cat told me that.) sorry you cat-lovers ... not.

leave a running vacuum cleaner in the garden.
:clover: haha works like a charm/ that's funny as shit. :laughing:I have several cats, 10, 12, and 13 years old.....which they have heard my vacuum cleaner turn on twice a week for over a decade.....little guys still act like it's the first damn time they have ever heard it.:biggrin:

B

BrnCow

Hell, I'm still laughing! Try chasing them out of the yard with a fly swatter hitting on random shit to make a loud noise and swinging it wildly. Cats respect crazy...soon they will haul ass at the sight of the swatter...

Status
Not open for further replies.