What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How do you keep cats out of your planting beds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trybud

Does anyone know any tricks to keeping cats out of my garden? i just tilled and waiting for temps to go up a bit before i plant. neighborhood cat(s) seems to like to use it every other day or so. Just trying to avoid shooting them. Ive tried everything, even renting traps from the local animal control(caught a bunch last spring, no feral cats here anymore) but the cats left learned to stay away from it....looking for inexpensive home remedy type solution.

S

Seismic

You can try planting crops around your garden which cats have a natural aversion too, such as rue, lavender, or pennyroyal.

For a quick solution you can also sprinkle cayenne pepper generously around your garden as this will irritate and deter the cats as well.

Best of luck.:joint:

L

LolaGal

How cruel, shooting with BB guns. Let me shoot you with one to see if you like it.

I doubt a little cat poo is going to kill anything. Put out a sand box or dump 2 bags of sand in a pile and the cats will leave the dirt alone and poop there instead. Then you won't have to shoot some little kid's pet.

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
All cats hate citrus peal. Get some orange and lemon peel and scatter them around your planting beds and they'll leave them alone.

Lifebreather

Veteran
Ive found buried cat shit in direct contact with the rootballs of plants that mysteriously took ill and eventually died. I think it may be toxic.

Eventually we got two greyhounds. The cats didn't even stand a chance. End of story.

Tropic

Cats always love it when it looks freshly tilled, have you tried using mulch? I have several cats at home and it worked for me.

Peace :joint:

false

ahh poor cats , there probly just lookin 4 a place 2 chill and sniff some herb . cannabis will naturally relax thier bowels , its not thier fault. And i must note your reluctance to resort to violence when you said "Im just trying to avoid shooting them " -lol .

Sashiva13

Cats love nice clean soil to dig in, there isn't any solution that isn't cruel. My experience has taught me to live in peace with other neighbors. Dig a square for your visiting cats to play in. Grow some catnip and some catgrass. They will go there instead. Don't garden angry it isn't good karma. (god I'm so hippie) but honestly, gardening at peace is the way to go. Always share with your neighbors.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Use a hose pipe..! or buy a dog if your responsible enough to take care of it.. :D

Rose56

You guys are incredible! First off it is illegal to harm or kill cats and second and more importantly its just wrong. There are all sorts of safe products to use. Moth balls, ginger or products sold at nurseries to repel cats all work. You can even get a kind of electrical fence thing that gives them a little shock (which would work on all kinds of critters).

thatguy123

Cat Repellant is the way to go, If not then go with Chicken Wire. Shotting them with bb guns will make them leave temporary but they will forget and come back.

N707

I use the same thing that I use for deer and other pests, fox 5.1.

A good alternative to using lead/steel pellets is cleaner pellets, but thats still a bit harsh, if your not in a lawsuit ridden state then airsofts are also a very good alternative. Im not by any means a guy that enjoys hurting cats, I just find it interesting that people own animals that they allow to wander all over others property for a good portion of the day/night. I find that incredibly direspectfull and trashy, but Im sure others find shotting cats or spraying them pretty trashy as well....= P

Status
Not open for further replies.