What's new

How do you get your buds to foxtail?

Hazy Lady

Prom Night Dumpster Baby
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No sorry V, I posted after reading only one page and now see I was repeating other posts, It's the foxtailed haze i keep puffing on :)
and Hiya V, nice to see you.

A1M-9SW

VG, you said P, what did you mean? Phosphorus? Because I've been dosing it quite a lot and I am mid flowering

tho the more indica pheno one is not showing any sings of fox tailing

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
VG, you said P, what did you mean? Phosphorus? Because I've been dosing it quite a lot and I am mid flowering

tho the more indica pheno one is not showing any sings of fox tailing

yes, afaik, excess phosphorous in late flowering makes the N levels seem higher somehow. also worth bearing in mind that temperature has an effect on nutrient availability, so high temps make the NPK levels available to the plant higher. usually sativas need less nutes so unless it looks hungry you may want to back off the nutes on the sativa pheno.

but if its in the genetics it will do it anyway, and yeah it's pretty cool imo.

A1M-9SW

Foxtails are pretty cool imo!

first time I got them, I only hope the high and everything else is amazing

I am pretty sure the yield is going to be less than normal looking bud, so I'd rather not have them

yes, afaik, excess phosphorous in late flowering makes the N levels seem higher somehow. also worth bearing in mind that temperature has an effect on nutrient availability, so high temps make the NPK levels available to the plant higher. usually sativas need less nutes so unless it looks hungry you may want to back off the nutes on the sativa pheno.

but if its in the genetics it will do it anyway, and yeah it's pretty cool imo.

Yes, lol as I've been reading the future! I have just watered the sativa with a ph calibrator in plain water. No nutes

and then I see your post and I see I was right in doing it ..

thanks for the help

ok come back in a few mins going to snap a pic or two

A1M-9SW

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

what do you guys think?

Genetics or enviroment?

(sorry for double post)

Dojo

foxtails look cool but i can see how they are annoying...freezerboy you say you throw them thangs away? must be nice

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

what do you guys think?

Genetics or enviroment?

(sorry for double post)

i would say environment has been a factor here, there is clawing on the leaves which is an indicator of high N and heat. it looks to me like you lst'd the plant after it started growing buds - possibly because they were too close to the light? - this can cause some irregular growth. i would actually call those dreads/runners rather than classic foxtails as a result of genetics.
wont effect the smoke though ;)

of course i am guessing and may be wrong

VG

A1M-9SW

you are absolutely right ! I exactly did what you said. And + that I have hit her hard with N a day or two before putting her flowering .. Well not that hard .. The thing is I didn't plan to flower it so soon , and yes I didn't have other choice than to cut when flowering since it got to the ceiling , she is a monster and 'monster' is not enough to describe her , tallest plant I ever had.

So am I cursed with irregular growth now till she ends? She is lovely and Im sure the smoke is going to be very good ... But I'd like her to make a bit better buds..

I'll just go and ask in the growers forum how to fix it if it's possible 'cause I don't want to hijack this since my aren't real foxtails.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i shouldnt worry - they will fatten up probably, but its usually best to do all the lst/cutting/training before they bud up - generally best to leave them alone after they have finished stretching, usually after 2 or so weeks flower - but if they are going to hit the light or ceiling then you have little choice - ive been there myself and seen what happens - thats why i knew your story ;)

VG

gingerale

Veteran
i am growing out an unknown indica strain that i got from bagseed. it is clearly a well bred commercial strain, heavily indica in appearance, though i would not discount it having some sativa genes mixed in.

my grow room is a tent with four 1k bulbs hung vertically in the center and plants hung around the bulbs in a square. there is also a table below the bulbs where i have excess plants sitting. although individual bulbs dont put out much light from their ends, with four of them running its pretty damn bright down there. there are NO shadows to be found anywhere in this grow so that is ruled out. i keep the tent running around 80-85*F, 30-40% humidity, though temps have gone higher on occasion. night temp is around 60*.

all that having been said, i have a number of plants of this strain foxtailing. yet right next to these plants i have sativas that have experienced the same conditions and there isnt a trace of foxtails.

i think its possible that foxtailing is just a weird (and interesting) side effect of mixing indica and sativa genes, and it is triggered by high temps in the grow room.

J

JackTheGrower

Tiki jo:

A cross of bubba X og and The Doctor.

Has the up haze mind and a Indica stone. Hours long.

I hadn't seen this thread but I can add some pictures.

This fox tailing evolved from a standard looking flowering.

o Temps on the cool side
o One feeding of a liquid "Witches Brew" and no other feeding during veg and flower..

It was a longer winter than normal here but nothing really strange.

It is cool! The foxtails or dread heads as they have been called smoke fine.

The only thing I could find, is it looked similar to super skunk in the way it developed but all the buds grew in a OG Kush bud space.

Meaning all flowering followed the bubbaxOG style growth with the Super Skunk dread head.

There are some F2's being grown so we will see if the fox tails hold up as a trait.

verdant green had the best pic i saw of Fox tails here. i currently have them on my williams wonder. but, i define them as a proper cola with a Nipple of straight calyxii growing upward. if there is excess leaf structure, then i would agree that stress is the cause. high heat levels causing the N levels to be accessed more readily at the apically dominat colas, creating wispy or crappy foxtails like freezerboy seems to have if he throws them away. i fricken cherish & love mine & consider them the easiest to trim since it is str8 up calyxii. i also find that what Lola or whichever female suggested the angles of light affect the foxtail production. i say this b/c my WWonder is on the perimeter of the grow space. however, i tend to find & feel that the plants around the perimeter are always more potent/tasty than the ones directly under the hot spot or most intense light. the Wonder, being on the edge; does have less light on the back side even with the mylar reflecting inward. I can clearly see a healthier, more sugar coated plant with the edge Wonder than the one in the middle. also, the blue kush on the other edge does not have any fox tails, just normal colas. so, genetics must be a factor, as well. genetics always load the cannon, but environment, care, & stress(or lack thereof), trigger the cannon to blow its load - foxtails, that is.

D

danimarie193

i dont think foxtails are something you want to see. it means you have a heat problem.

i dont think foxtails are something you want to see. it means you have a heat problem.

you may be correct, i am no expert. however, when i see a plant w/ zero heat stress symptoms, amazingly sugar coated colas, with about a 1/2 inch AA battery width nipple/fox tail on the top of each of those amazingly sexy colas, i tend to think it is genetics playing the cards here. Also, my foxtailed specimen is in the coolest area of the grow space. most importantly, they present in late flower usually for me. this means, flushing began a month or so ago. 2 weeks later, the nipples form. so, i doubt the heat issues caused certain nute lock outs or excess absorption up top to make the nipples.

i think foxtails have a bad rep from reading this thread. i am allllll about having a nipple of str8 potent calyxii on top of my thick colas, who wouldnt??? sativa dominant strains tend to present this feature more so, from my reading experience alone. i think the majority of people who complain about foxtails do have some sort fo stress, low light, high heat, nute issue. but the ones who enjoy the nipples, are treating their babies properly & just enjoying the fruits of their labors & the babies are thanking you for it. i am no expert, just my .02.

rocket high

Veteran
the light theory strikes me as the problem with my nl's,
on the side that the light hits the plants ... they seem to have fox tailed look on the left of the colas you'll see what i mean ..
picture.php

wildwahine

Thanks for clarifying why foxtails form!!!

Thanks for clarifying why foxtails form!!!

Light leaks have nothing to do with foxtails. Like stated, most of it is strain dependent. One way to get them to do this is raise the heat (90+), lower the humidity and feed them too much bud booster and they are off. Do this at around week 6 of flower and alot of strains will do this. Ask me how I know?

Hi, I just posted under Indoor Grow asking what the heck these appendages are on my Afghan Kush buds... and you explained it exactly as it happened to mine... the heat, low humidity, too much bud booster... :bow:THANK YOU for clarifying!

Can you explain further?...
1) Are foxtails generally a negative thing?
2) Do they affect the potency of the bud?
3) Do they devalue the crop?
4) Is it best to trim around them or snip them off during trimming and save for private stash or cooking?

Thanks again, GisG... :thank you:

Attachments

• 2) afkush 58 days.jpg
    2) afkush 58 days.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 25

*mistress*

Veteran
shade also seems to influence fox-tail (flower stacking) development (i & s).
found even under 1ks, if enough shade is present - planty may form fox-tails on side w/ least light.
:2cents: