What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

how do you get super stinky smelly weed?

my buds dont smell as much as id like. they stink when i break them open or give em a squeez but they dont stink up the room like the shit i used to get in colorado. ive grow several strains and had the exact same issue with all of them, stinky only when i smell the inner bud. So this lead me to believe its a problem with my technique either growing, drying or curing.(none of my strains have been very smelly when growing either) my shit dries quick, in 2.5 to 3 days in my furnace closet (gets kinda warm)then into a brown paper bag for 2 days and its good to go (joint smokably dry). i dont really have time to cure, its out the door pretty quick but my personal is in a jar for a month and it never really stinks up. it gets way more potent but not more stinky. Any ideas?

help me make my buds stinkier!

thanks pimps, late

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
Dank: I just think there are some more aromatic strains than others. I'm growing quite a few varieties right now, and none of them are lightweight. Some would lean more toward what you described as having an aroma when a bud is broken open...but not outwardly.
Other strains I have seem to make the entire place reak throughout the grow cycle, even after drying and curing.....and especially when broken open.
Absolutely are you going to find that some strains lose a bit of odor as they're progressively dried and potentially cured....but for the most-part...I believe it's the strain you're growing. Keep in mind that odor has very little to do with actual potency. So I'm sure you've got the dank...but you want that DANK ODOR....
I'd suggest you keep looking for strains that have that reputation. Hell, I've got a few whoppers that would clobber your carbon filters up.
Be careful what you wish for bro....you may just find some strain that is very hard to control...ROFL. Then you'd be up a creek....

So be safe and green bro!

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Seems like a shit fer brains issue to me. Fast hot dry, no fucking cure, wonder why there is no fine aroma. Learn to grow and cure right, and you will have what you seek.
H

G

And remember.....................Heat is your enemy. You want to dry your buds in a nice dark, 68 - 78 degree, dry area.

Retardo Motabon

Seenyourmember:0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Got a problem with this guy Haps? Why the low blow?
Aah, herb from Colorado! I still remember the P-Bud! (Paeonia?)
Could be the strain.
Coincidentally, only one or two strains I've bought and grown out have the high, and way complex aroma of a cut I got in Summit county a bunch of years ago. I miss her so! I ran her for nine years and still would but she got lost in the shuffle. What always boggled my mind was that I could never get it to smell nearly as dank as the friend I got it from.
They used miracle grow or Peters for ferts basically whatever the hardware store had. They also used their crappy soil over and over and over again. At the the time I could grow circles around them. My yields were literally 5 times what they got. They didn't even recognize it was the strain they gave me when I showed them a forearm sized bud of it! Their's never got bigger than a hot dog but it smelled sooooo gooood!
BUT.....mine never had the mega mega dank scent that their buds did.
I never figured it out. Due to the low low humidity were they grew the flowers dried in 2-3 days. I cured mine slow nd proper to get that blow you away, busted in public even though its triple bagged scent. Curing made it lose all of its fine notes. Not every strain wants a long slow dry and cure.

Graffiti

Sometimes its just the strains. I know my homie grows Sadhu because it doesn't really produce that much of a smell or taste, which is good for stealth (but I prefer the STANKY shit). To my knowledge there are stinky strains out there... I dunno im not an expert. But i know there is a motherfuckload variety of scents that cannabis can produce.

O

otherwhitemeat

Dank, I read the whole thing about paper bags and I think bags are a waste of time and trichs...Also, not a big fan of jarring when stems 'snap' I prefer 'bend until they kink, slight cracking sound'

That said, I think it comes to this

1. Strain/genetics-Can't have stinky buds without the right genes. Have you selected the best phenotypes and killed the rest? Sometimes I go through a ten pack and find only one keeper, don't keep bad genetics. don't waste yer time and space. Are you REALLY startin with the best genes? Tough question cuz we all love our gals.

2. Nutrients-yeah your plants grow and and seem to flourish but are they missing something? Don't go overboard here but are you getting N and P deficiencies early on which can retard growth and terpene production later? Cal/Mg? Molasses? Finishing nutes? Oh yeah, and be sure to flush if your growing hydro, nothing worse than unflushed hydro (yecch).

3. Harvest window. Are you harvesting at the right time for your genetics or preferences.

3. The cure-My personal opinion is the convention of waiting until the stem snaps is not right for me. 3-4 days after the chop and trim, mine is jarred up. Stems bend a bit and kink, but do not break, you hear a cracking sound but the stem is intact. If I wait until the stems crack, my weed is too dry. I don't like dusty pot. My genes produce smaller buds mind you, if you grow fat buds then YMMV. For the first week, I open the jars for an hour or so a day. Not too much airspace in the jar, mostly bud--not packed, just full. The second week, 10 minutes or so each day while I smoke a few hits. By about 10-14 days, I have no more hay smell and I am done with burping. A quick opening of the jar and you can smell the dankness, crack open a bud and it's 10x more stinky.

By about 10-14 days the green has gone from any leaf material and it's all pale green (yanno, weed color) and the volatile organic compounds in the weed have permeated the dead leaf material and dried pistils...the dank smell comes from the release of these VOCs. If you are giving up VOCs to paper bags or overdrying, they may not be getting the right cure.

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
shit on the buds, that'll stink em up right away :joint: its an easy fix though, better flush with a better cure.

L

LolaGal

Your buds will be super stinky if you get a pet skunk and let him do his thang! LOL. j/k

Got a problem with this guy Haps? Why the low blow?
Aah, herb from Colorado! I still remember the P-Bud! (Paeonia?)
Could be the strain.
Coincidentally, only one or two strains I've bought and grown out have the high, and way complex aroma of a cut I got in Summit county a bunch of years ago. I miss her so! I ran her for nine years and still would but she got lost in the shuffle. What always boggled my mind was that I could never get it to smell nearly as dank as the friend I got it from.
They used miracle grow or Peters for ferts basically whatever the hardware store had. They also used their crappy soil over and over and over again. At the the time I could grow circles around them. My yields were literally 5 times what they got. They didn't even recognize it was the strain they gave me when I showed them a forearm sized bud of it! Their's never got bigger than a hot dog but it smelled sooooo gooood!
BUT.....mine never had the mega mega dank scent that their buds did.
I never figured it out. Due to the low low humidity were they grew the flowers dried in 2-3 days. I cured mine slow nd proper to get that blow you away, busted in public even though its triple bagged scent. Curing made it lose all of its fine notes. Not every strain wants a long slow dry and cure.

A guy named Retardo defending someone who was referred to as "shit for brains". lol thats pretty ironic; don't ya think? Anyways I would say it was probably the strain, or that you don't cure your bud long enough duder. I previously had some skunk that was pretty smelly. The longer it stayed in the jar; the stinkier it got. Eventually it was playing tricks on me..having me think that there was a stink from my vaporizer lingering in the room. Eventually I realized that I forgot and left one of my jars open. All this rambling to say..maybe you need to cure longer so that the strain can express its true traits. Hope I could help out.

And p.s.- that was a little harsh Haps.You didn't need to call the guy an idiot for asking a question. I view someone as more of an idiot for staying quiet when they have a question.

NorCalFor20

Smokes, lets go
Veteran
Seems like a shit fer brains issue to me. Fast hot dry, no fucking cure, wonder why there is no fine aroma. Learn to grow and cure right, and you will have what you seek.
H

good info there, now that you taught him the right way to dry and cure he will learn from your post.

oh wait , you didn't tell him the right way to dry and cure so his buds will never be the way he wants them to be....

i guess that makes you an unnecessary ass hole. No need to jump on the guy he asked a simple question. Don't need to call him a "shit for brains"

Everyone starts somewhere... that was pretty rude man.:wallbash:

Anyway to the original thread starter, you should dry your buds slowly in cool darkness. (35% RH is optimal) No heater, after buds are dry then jar and burp them periodically at least once a day with the lids off for 5 minutes. Do that for at least a week (preferably a month) and your buds will taste better, the key is to dry slowly (but not so slow that you cause mold, or budrot) it should take about a week to dry from hanging for the proper dry... then cure and enjoy... also some strains smell more than others.

L

LolaGal

WooHoo! Way to go NorCal420! Good job. Guess I should've helped more too instead of making skunk jokes.....sorry OP

meangene

For the last 4 years i've been using flavor enhancers like sweet(Botanicare) and sweet leaf(Advanced N) in my nute solution. My shit is always the stinkiest around . I recommend it to all my friends who grow. Mollasses works very well too but nothing i've used so far works as well as sweet especially if you are growing a really fruity strain like the grape skunk and grape god i've got going on now! I'm really suprised more people don't use this shit? :)

Last edited:

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
I was an asshole in this thread, but then, I am an asshole, period. There are lots of threads here on curing, my take on it is in several of them, there is no one way. This chap did not seem to have a clue, seemed to need a bitch slap to me. Just separating the wheat from the chaff lads.
H

Joe A. Grower

I don't think you need a long cure to "turn up the volume" on your buds. I have grown ridiculously stinky herb that got no more than a quick three day dry on a wire rack and no cure at all. I think aroma has more to do with the strain and how well it is grown. The cure will bring out the subtleties of the aroma and get rid of that "grassy" smell, but it won't make your buds any stinkier than the day you harvested.

I have a cut of AK-47 that when grown well stinks so badly that even when double bagged can be smelled from across a good sized room. The first two times we grew it we had very healthy plants and the aroma was in full force. After that we went into summer and started having heat problems in the grow room. The plants were never as healthy as they were during the first two crops, and the aroma was never the same either. I have seen this same effect with other strains but never so dramatically. This AK-47 went from being the stinkiest weed in the room to having a merely average odor.

Healthy plants are stinky plants. Concentrate on growing the healthiest plants you can and the aroma you are looking for will follow.

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
I'm with otherwhitemeat. Dry the buds for 2 maybe 3 days and put them in a jar. If you still think they are too wet after that first night in the jar, take them out and let them dry in the open for a day and put them back in the jar. Eventually, the moisture will come down and the buds will cure properly. Just don't rush the plant to cure.

My plants have been drying and curing for 9 days and they are still sponge like. Not moist or damp and not dry. They are at the point to where if I set them out for another day, they will be toast. I'm hoping they'll continue aging slowly, the buds are about to have some fresh company and a little hydration.

OldBastard

Dank, I read the whole thing about paper bags and I think bags are a waste of time and trichs...Also, not a big fan of jarring when stems 'snap' I prefer 'bend until they kink, slight cracking sound'

That said, I think it comes to this

1. Strain/genetics-Can't have stinky buds without the right genes. Have you selected the best phenotypes and killed the rest? Sometimes I go through a ten pack and find only one keeper, don't keep bad genetics. don't waste yer time and space. Are you REALLY startin with the best genes? Tough question cuz we all love our gals.

2. Nutrients-yeah your plants grow and and seem to flourish but are they missing something? Don't go overboard here but are you getting N and P deficiencies early on which can retard growth and terpene production later? Cal/Mg? Molasses? Finishing nutes? Oh yeah, and be sure to flush if your growing hydro, nothing worse than unflushed hydro (yecch).

3. Harvest window. Are you harvesting at the right time for your genetics or preferences.

3. The cure-My personal opinion is the convention of waiting until the stem snaps is not right for me. 3-4 days after the chop and trim, mine is jarred up. Stems bend a bit and kink, but do not break, you hear a cracking sound but the stem is intact. If I wait until the stems crack, my weed is too dry. I don't like dusty pot. My genes produce smaller buds mind you, if you grow fat buds then YMMV. For the first week, I open the jars for an hour or so a day. Not too much airspace in the jar, mostly bud--not packed, just full. The second week, 10 minutes or so each day while I smoke a few hits. By about 10-14 days, I have no more hay smell and I am done with burping. A quick opening of the jar and you can smell the dankness, crack open a bud and it's 10x more stinky.

By about 10-14 days the green has gone from any leaf material and it's all pale green (yanno, weed color) and the volatile organic compounds in the weed have permeated the dead leaf material and dried pistils...the dank smell comes from the release of these VOCs. If you are giving up VOCs to paper bags or overdrying, they may not be getting the right cure.

now, that's something someone can use and understand, and he gives the "why" of each step so somone understands better.

O

otherwhitemeat

If you still think they are too wet after that first night in the jar, take them out and let them dry in the open for a day and put them back in the jar.

Good point facelift.

With larger buds, the outsides tend tend to dry first, leaving the center moist. You can jar after a few 3-4 days, open them again in 24 hours---if the buds are too dry, just lay them out on a paper plate for a few hours to a full day. then back into the jar

Oh yeah, and before I add my buds to jar I do my best to snip off any large pieces of stems, and even dismember really dense buds. The goal is to try to get all the nugs around the same size. You want them to dryevenly and slowly.