What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How do you achieve 1gpw??

dj digigrow

I know its a benchmark that we all try to achieve and most do. (and then some)
But basically its balancing plant #'s and veg. time , along with different methods of growing in order to make that 1gpw
Am I missing something....?
And I know this is the vert. section but since I grow vert. I value your opinions the most...
:tiphat:

I actually don't beleive it myself. I bet they are weighing it wet.
The last time I did anything substantial indoors I had 2k going; a MH and a HPS.
I got about 360 grams DRY from the harvest. And the plants were about 3 foot tall at harvest. From memory the plants were True Blueberry, Calizahr and Sweet Tooth 1.1
Maybe if you got higher yeilding plants that bud up all along the stems and branches the yeild would be better, but with most strains it's not possible.
I'm an outdoor grower but I still know how to grow indoors and I don't see anything I could have done to increase the yield other than growing the plants bigger; lets face it there's not much you can do after providing them with light, water and NPK.

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I actually don't beleive it myself. I bet they are weighing it wet.
The last time I did anything substantial indoors I had 2k going; a MH and a HPS.
I got about 360 grams DRY from the harvest. And the plants were about 3 foot tall at harvest. From memory the plants were True Blueberry, Calizahr and Sweet Tooth 1.1
Maybe if you got higher yeilding plants that bud up all along the stems and branches the yeild would be better, but with most strains it's not possible.
I'm an outdoor grower but I still know how to grow indoors and I don't see anything I could have done to increase the yield other than growing the plants bigger; lets face it there's not much you can do after providing them with light, water and NPK.

Dude wake up lol..their are guys in THIS vertical section (I haver not hit that yet my highest was just at .80) that get that and closer to 2 GPW...regularly...and NO they don't weigh it wet ...vertical runs with a "dialed in" environment and the "correct strain can yield this.

HELL Heath Robinson documented SEVERAL runs with photos that were 2 GPW and possibly even higher than that....

bobblehead

Veteran
:biglaugh:

I don't weigh my buds wet and I trim them up tighter than most... And I got more than 1gpw. I wouldn't say that most growers achieve 1gpw. Most are happy to settle for .5gpw b/c it pays the bills. 1gpw is a benchmark goal of a growers efficiency and skill level. How you get there depends on you... But sog is more efficient than large plants.

S

Scrappy-doo

To me it's all about design and space management. If you run vert you need to be able to utilize all of the light and not waste any. I like to custom build tents with cheap wood frames and foam insulation boards.

If I'm running a 600 watt bare bulb I will hang the light to desired height, build a 4x4 cab around it out of wood, foam, and mylar. I build the ceiling about 12 to 18 inches above the light and mylar that as well so the light going diagonal upward isn't wasted but instead will reflect off of the ceiling, then walls, to hit the plants from the back. There is an 18 x 18 inch hole cut out directly above the light for heat to escape (or you can put your exhaust fan either in the cab with your carbon filter, or mounted on one of the walls or ceiling to suck air out), and then stuff that tent as full as I can get it.. ALL that space in there I consider valuable real estate and will grow nice buds, not just the space directly in front of the light.

3 levels. All plants topped to bushes. Upper outer ring with plants boosted on milk crates or upside down buckets with the tops close to the ceiling, a lower ring on the ground level just in front of it, and then where most people put a fan under the light I stick plants there too, usually the more bushy non-stretchy kind, and lollipop them a bit. I get usually an extra 3 zips from that one space alone, and I find the fan down there to be unnecessary. You can have foliage just a few inches away directly under the light without any heat issues whatsoever.

I utilize every lumen that light has to offer. Nothing gets wasted.

I think 1.5 GPW is (or should be) the new benchmark "standard." 1.0 GPW in a vert setup just means you are doing a half ass decent job.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ i hear a lot of talk like that about vert, but much fewer actual documented results that top 1.5 gpw, and not that many that top 1 gpw

however you grow, canopy management is how you get the yields. get as many buds in or under the light footprint and use all the useful penetration depth of your light.

VG

The reason you hear a lot of talk like that is because it's true. I'm running around 1 GPW right now and my setup is nowhere near fully dialed in. I am suffering massive loss of yield right now due to winter and my uninsulated grow room. I can see about a hundred different ways this grow can be improved, as funds allow. I can certainly believe claims of 2 GPW. It would take a lot of training etc, but is quite achievable.

geek

Some things I have learned from this forum, mostly from Bobble and DHF.

Consistency is paramount, keeping temp, humidity, feedings everything in the sweet spot, always.

A light meter is a very good investment.

Bloom boosters are a waste of money.

Monocrops are the way to go, allows you to find the sweet spot for that specific strain.

Practice, same strain over and over again.

I’m still growing in a horizontal scrog with 2 x 400 watts and my last two runs I got 2 ½ lbs from a 13week strain and 2 lbs from a 9 week.

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:biggrin:
Still Invisible;
I recomend a rifle with a bayonet attached and go up into the ceiling and with a marine corp yell do a bayonet charge at the ceiling people, and bayonett them.
Personally I went for the less direct approach because I didn't have a rifle with a bayonet.
I researched on the net how to make poison gas and bought the ingredients; my plan was to gas them, but I couldn't find and efficeint delivery system to deliver the gas

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The reason you hear a lot of talk like that is because it's true. .....

can you post some links up of recent 1.5GPW + grows here in the vert section then please - id be interested to see them. i love efficient grows.

thanks

VG

I don't have shit to prove to ya bro....do your own research...believe what you want. 90% of growing "knowledge" is half-myths anyway.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
hitting a high GPW depends on

1. genetics
2. environment
3. style of growing

there is no single way to hit high yields, but you need to have all 3 major variables dialed in.

can you post some links up of recent 1.5GPW + grows here in the vert section then please - id be interested to see them. i love efficient grows.

thanks

VG

1.5 is pretty husky.

I'm shooting for (and will be quite pleased) to hit 1.25 this grow (of course, that's sans vegging, and this pheno doesn't seem to be doing what I was planning on it doing............ratfarts).

I believe I could come close enought to tickle 1.5's balls if I wanted to veg for a month+ and make sure my screen was totally filled before flipping, but that's not really my steez.

That being said, g/w is such a retarded metric because we're not factoring in veg times.............I could grow one plant under a 400W and SCROG that bitch for six months in a 100 gallon container and easily get 1.5g/w............but that wouldn't really be worth my time.

You wanna talk g/kWh, I'm all ears :)

dj digigrow

That being said, g/w is such a retarded metric because we're not factoring in veg times.............I could grow one plant under a 400W and SCROG that bitch for six months in a 100 gallon container and easily get 1.5g/w............but that wouldn't really be worth my time.

You wanna talk g/kWh, I'm all ears :)

Also I'm sure id get 1gpw if I filled a room with a 400 clone dog Wal-o-green but c'Mon. So like I said I guess its your ability to work with what you have and tweak it and dial it in until you reach that magic number..

^^ I agree. GPW is a useless metric....not sure so G/kWh is any better....unless you're factoring in labor too.

True, but it's so hard to get people to concede that time vegging is meaningful that trying to nail down variable (and even abstract) expenses like labor, time spent thinking about your grow, capital improvements like adding a mini-split, that g/kWh is as deep as most people want to dive into their own personal P&L.

You wanna go real deep, you could factor in the opportunity cost of what else you could be doing with your grow space and back that out of the equation..........personally, I'd have a sick swing analyzer setup in my garage :)

And DJ, you don't have to make what you have work........you could always upgrade to what you want - that's what I did ;)

Took me a while to design and build the rig (as well as the room it's housed in) in the link below, but I love it now:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=204946

Latest posts

Latest posts