What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2400 Watt Vertical SOG, HP Aero Delivery System

Long time coming, lots of trials and tribulations building out my sealed room; then, had some EZ Clone issues and had some downtime so figured "hey, might as well run HP aero and really go balls out with this design" (was an LP aero/NFT hybrid before that).

90 site HP aero octagon (technically a "pentadecagon"), lit by 4 600s (two dual arcs and two super HPS) in a custom vertical cooltube; sealed (like airtight) room, Sentinel CHHC-1 controlling my AC (14K portable, but gonna upgrade to an 18K mini-split sooner rather than later), dehuey (25 pint Frigidaire which is serving me fine now, but will probably upgrade soon for shits and giggles), heater, and watercooled CO2 generator.

So, what you see is culmination of over half a year of room and octagon construction, and some trials and tribulations in getting this show off the ground.

Here's some thoughts I had a couple of days ago (it's from a journal at another site, so some of it might need some context to understand - any questions, please feel free to ask):

First and foremost while it's on my mind, the weatherstripping to hold up the 3.75" netpots is starting to smell mildew-y..............hopefully that won't be an issue, but I'm open to ideas for something else to use to hold them in 4" openings that won't get funky when wet - hopefully when I decrease the misting time and frequencies that the smell will dissipate somewhat.

Digi ballasts also exploded a 600HPS (I think that was my fault though, as there was a "spark" when I plugged it in), and I've noticed that one of the dual arcs doesn't always light the first time - thinking of getting some Digilux, but might just try to make it work with the extra bulbs I have. Haven't replaced any bulbs, but will do that today or tomorrow - been really busy with this fucking terror of a puppy I bought for Ms. Smith for Valentine's Day.

Even though plants dig on PAR and the visible light we see is not that important to them, the difference in brightness between an HPS and a DA is pretty astounding - if I had enough, I'd replace to all HPS when I change out the bulbs, but I only have two extra (one exploded), so there will be one DA left in the stack for flowering.

Evidently I sealed the room up SO well that there's nowhere for the humidity in the garage to go, so there's a bit of an issue with humidity in the outer garage, which is making it moist close to the garage door (can actually see some water stains on the plywood on the ceiling, but nothing too crazy - hoping that warmer temperatures will help mitigate this problem, and less snow - we've gotten a shitload this year).

Had some issues and kinks to work out with the system at first - really, really would've been totally avoided if I would've used aero clones (roots reach into the column) and not clones rooted in pucks - fucking EZ Clone - had a few dry out and die on me (have been replaced), but it also means that the plants in the 4" wyes (closest to the misters) are much larger than the others because they've been growing since day 1, as opposed to some which just started growing a few days ago.

Current misting times are ~6 seconds every 75 seconds to make sure that all plants are getting sufficient moisture, and that means that the larger plants are getting overwatered (in HP terms) and their roots look more like LP aero roots - as soon as all plants have a sufficient root system, gonna cut that back to 2 or 3 seconds every 2 or 3 minutes.

Um, that's about all that comes to mind - looking at the pics, all the new growth is healthy, so any brown leaves are from their "clone" days before they started rooting in the system.

All in all not too displeased - obviously there are gonna be issues when trying something like this, but I feel like I've got everything under control (for the most part).

First three pics are from when they first went in about two weeks ago (maybe a couple days more, not really sure - I'm not the journal type
emoticon-0124-worried.gif
).

Current conditions are 80F, 750PPMs CO2, and 60% RH.

Gonna top the plants that have been growing since day one tomorrow or Saturday and put a screen in there; from there, hoping to train the plants and be able to flip the switch in about two week's time.

Again, any questions/comments/criticisms, please don't be shy.

Attachments

• 1.29.11 003.jpg
    1.29.11 003.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 23
  • 1.29.11 008.jpg
    1.29.11 008.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 1.29.11 004.jpg
    1.29.11 004.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 1.29.11 014.jpg
    1.29.11 014.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 26
  • 1.29.11 002.jpg
    1.29.11 002.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 2.23.11 022.jpg
    2.23.11 022.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 2.23.11 018.jpg
    2.23.11 018.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 2.23.11 017.jpg
    2.23.11 017.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 2.23.11 024.jpg
    2.23.11 024.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 2.23.11 023.jpg
    2.23.11 023.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 24

Attachments

• 2.23.11 032.jpg
    2.23.11 032.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 2.23.11 031.jpg
    2.23.11 031.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 2.23.11 030.jpg
    2.23.11 030.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 2.23.11 029.jpg
    2.23.11 029.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 2.23.11 028.jpg
    2.23.11 028.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 2.23.11 027.jpg
    2.23.11 027.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 2.23.11 026.jpg
    2.23.11 026.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 2.23.11 024.jpg
    2.23.11 024.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 2.23.11 025.jpg
    2.23.11 025.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 22

MyGreenToe

Looks good and somewhat vaguely familiar. I'm too baked to read through right now but will do later. Got any closeups of fuzzy ass aero roots? I always love to watch a proper pressurized aero show!
thanks for sharin
Keep it Green
MGT

Thanks guys; MGT, will try to get some shots for you later on today, but not sure my camera is good enough to really get good fuzzy shots.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm pulling up a chair

Can't wait to see those root hairs and big budz, or are you just using this for cloning?
:lurk:

Lol, definitely not *wanting* to use it for cloning - have an EZ Clone 120 that's supposed to do that for me.

Just had some issues with the EZ so had to root these cuts in pucks in humidity domes; when put into the system, some of the pucks weren't staying wet enough (not enough mist was getting through the netpots) so a few passed away/were discarded.

Have since cut out the bottom of the netpots and that issue has gone away, but some plants are still way behind the others.

EDIT: have been meaning to hook up a UPS (which will run the system for a day or two in the event of a power outage) but was too lazy; of course, had the first power outage in a long time last night (not for very long), but the plants are fine.

Ordered a 540W UPS today, should be here in a week.

D

DHF

There`s my buddy.......I`ll be over here on my bucket waitin fer thisun to unfold.......
`
It only gets better once yas dial each strains width/length/height by end of stretch , to know how close they can get to each other as well as the lights/veritube without light bleaching/heat stress once they back up and start swellage till end of cycle.....

Then you`ll be knockin down the gpw`s Brozini cuz the plant numbers are there waitin ta be exploited.....I`m hopin yas pull at least 1 oz budsicles the first run ......Way more room for improvement from there.......

Once there`s a full canopy dialed , the sky`s the limit....90-2 oz trimmed/pruned out/shaped mini Xmas trees in that badass pentadecagon ?......

Only time will tell.......BTW.....Wrap them fukin pipes on the outside with reflectix ta keep lumenloss from bleedin out the backsides of yer setup.......Tape em off with duct tape and get 1 of those peel and stick tarp zippers to run up and down where the tape is........

Easy access as well as total reflectivity back to the plants FTW.....

Good luck Bro.....DHF.......:ying:.....

Thanks for stopping by bro; lol, great minds thinking alike, huh? This is my response to someone on another forum who mentioned the same thing:

Q: Have you ever thought about wrapping your octagon with panda or reflectix to reflect more light. Put an outtake fan up top and leave the bottom 6"-1' open for passive intake from your sealed room. Co2 usally sinks anyway right?

A: Exactly what I have planned (and bought extra panda just for that) - just been lazy and trying to keep the smallest plants alive so haven't had the chance/opportunity to do that yet. Also, by the time the screen (speaking of something I've been meaning to do) is put in, in theory there really shouldn't be a whole lot of light getting through, so I think I'd prefer more airflow over a marginal increase in lighting.

Plan was always to wrap it during veg and then to take it off either at the start of flower or after the stretch (when air flow is more important). Put a small fan pointing straight up to do exactly what you said, passive intake from the bottom and blowing up through the top.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I see some leaf tip burn and curl, usually a sign of too high ppms, which 750 probably is. Keep in mind they are eating almost constantly, so they don't need as much per feeding. hth

bobblehead

Veteran
Cool stuff. I think I've seen this before... Anyway, looks like there's still a few spots in the front row... I'll take my seat.

I see some leaf tip burn and curl, usually a sign of too high ppms, which 750 probably is. Keep in mind they are eating almost constantly, so they don't need as much per feeding. hth

The CO2 is at 750PPMs, not my nutrient solution.

That was ~300 last night, until I bumped it up to 475 because the larger plants are/were hungry.

The tip burn is on the oldest leaves from their clone days; not sure where you see curl but I haven't noticed any.

Dialed down the feed times to ~4 seconds every 2.5 minutes last night, gonna see how that does - root systems are starting to get pretty large on the bigger girls.

who me

What pump are you running? i think i see a pressure tank in there too. I am putting together an aero Colosseum and am researching my options

FistedSister

didn't wanna show up empty handed

didn't wanna show up empty handed

indian food for ravi singh...i call this one tush kush. your grow is impressive!

picture.php

What pump are you running? i think i see a pressure tank in there too. I am putting together an aero Colosseum and am researching my options

It's a Shurflo 8030-863-269; has an internal pressure switch set to (I think, check the specs to be sure) cut-in at 125PSI and cutout at 150PSI.

Since those internal pressure switches are notoriously unreliable, I got an external pressure switch (the gray box in the corner of that plywood box) from Grainger with a 100PSI cut-in and a 125PSI cutout.

That accumulator is 4.4 gallons, and is the only one in the US I could source with a working pressure of 150PSI.

Lemme know of any other equipment you've got questions on.

FS, thanks - looks delicious - I love Indian food but Ms. Singh isn't a fan so I don't get to eat it nearly as often as I'd like.

stussy22

Ravi Looking good. Nice to see that everything is coming along as planed.

How is that Marey water heater working for you? any complaints on it so far?

stu :joint:

Quick Update

Quick Update

Still working out some kinks with the system, but I'm getting closer every day :)

These pics are from last night, so a week later - looks like another 10-14 days of veg and then I'm gonna flip the switch - really whenever all the plants have a decent root system, as they should explode in flower once that happens.

Have thrown in a couple of seedlings I have going from a test grow (HP13 X Wraith) and also a Jackberry clone I stumbled upon.

Gonna put the screen in tomorrow and then top the largest ones and start training them through the screen - not sure if I'm gonna top the smaller ones yet, kinda depends on their growth over the next few days.

Current lighting is lights on 24/7 at 50% (so 1200 total watts), and I'm gonna bump up the wattage and cut back the hours (75% for 20/4), and then 100% for 18/6 for a few days; then, I flip the switch.

Ordered some cal nitrate, mag sulfate and some chelated iron to make my own CalMag; gonna order a shitload more compounds and start mixing my own custom nutes sooner rather than later.

Also already designing some 100 gallon containers to run some trees when I retire my PVC structure after another run or two - thinking of moving out west and running 20-30K watts (legally, obviously) so need some practice on growing plants that large (the largest plants I've grown in the past decade have been about 2 ounces :dance013:).

Um, that's about it - cut back the feed times to 3 seconds every two minutes today, so gonna see how they do on that and then steadily dial it down - not having 90 healthy clones (from the start) has seriously put me back on this run, but I'm doing my best to make it work :)

Unfortunately I'm not sure I'm ever going to be able to max out this rig, as mono-cropping isn't something I'm all that interested in (just got more testers in the mail today, actually), but maybe I'll run an afghan clone I found with a seven week flowering time just to try to get some retarded g/w number before all this PVC is discarded.

78F, 65% RH, 750CO2, 850PPM nutes.

As you can see, the roots are more LP aero than HP, but I'm starting to see root hairs on them the more I increase my pause time.

Any questions/comments/criticisms, don't hesitate.

EDIT: you can see a deficiency on some of the leaves; I was running my nutes at ~300PPMs (had heard horror stories of burning in HP aero) for a bit and have slowly bumped it up daily, so new growth on all the plants is a nice lush green.

DOUBLE EDIT: Stussy put the jinx on me; twice I've noticed that the heater hasn't lit when water was running through it (might just need some new batteries), so I got a simple little 50 second timer off of eBay that I'm going to plug it into just to make sure the water won't keep running for any length of time.

Attachments

• 3.4.11 030.jpg
    3.4.11 030.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 3.4.11 029.jpg
    3.4.11 029.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 3.4.11 027.jpg
    3.4.11 027.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 25
  • 3.4.11 026.jpg
    3.4.11 026.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 3.4.11 024.jpg
    3.4.11 024.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 22
  • 3.4.11 023.jpg
    3.4.11 023.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 3.4.11 022.jpg
    3.4.11 022.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 3.4.11 020.jpg
    3.4.11 020.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG 0146 Two NYCD and two Cheese. Just had a little trim.
    IMG 0146 Two NYCD and two Cheese. Just had a little trim.
    65.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 3.4.11 032.jpg
    3.4.11 032.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 21