What's new

How do we live?

Piel

Veteran
robereno: Sounds excellent! I went to State for a semester in the late 70´s, took bio classes and chem but never really warmed to it. I left the States shortly after that. You are extremely lucky to be able to take your pension at 55 -I envy that!

Mr. Charlie

The kids have started to wonder why I small of smoke in the evening! They really are quite naive, I usually tell them it´s from the kitchen stove.

I have always been very upfront and open with my daughters and i think the results are great. No misrepresentation, no fibs or lies, or hiding and i think it really helps instill respect and trust for each other.
They also know that is is not appropriate to share that I smoke or am involved in the industry... To No One... especially friends or school people. I think by giving my girls respect by telling them the truth, they in turn respect me and the "guidelines(secrecy)" that is required.
...and when I found out my eldest had smoked without me for her first time i must admit that was a bit shocked! LOL! cheers

Piel

Veteran
I´m upfront on everything else! It´s complicated, I´m sure they´d handle it well enough, or will handle it. I´ve only smoked for a couple of years again and only out of medical reasons but where we live it´s a touchy issue so...

G

Godless

At 58 years old; I've never had a credit card. never owned a home. I have owned up to 3 or 4 cars and 4 or 5 motorcycles at a time. Then, again; I've packed a duffle bag and wander off into the world. I've had good jobs; usually in some sort of lead position, on the job as a weldor/fabricator/mechanic or in corporate offices as some kind of system engineer/designer. I've also taken long semi retirement breaks of three to eight years.

My preferred dress is still tee-shirt and Levis even in corporate offices (san Francisco - not a major feat). I think it safe to say I would of been thought of as some middle class workaday serf, and at times in my life I may have been. Certainly felt like it at times; usually just before one of those breaks. Still, I've helped raise my two kids. Surprisingly, they came out OK. OK enough to make their dad proud anyway, but my criteria is still based on that rejection of "middle class values" illusion I held so dear as a young buck.

There ain't nothing wrong with settling down buying a home, two cars, having 3.2 kids and gong to little league on Thursday nights. I've done most of that except the house thing and at my age have the land and plans for a house in Chiang Mai (Thailand). So I guess I'm slowly growing into that 'Middle Class, the Pit of Dispair" hum drum life, again. Got one more run of work to do, and a few more roads to ride but it'll be nice to have a home to go to when I feel the need.

Living in the USA it can be difficult to function; raise, and provide for, a family without being infected by some of those "middle class values." At the end of the day, as you put away the briefcase or hang up your overalls fire up a number under the headphones blasting "Dark Side of the Moon" into your poor worn out eardrums it ain't the cars in your garage, the mortgage on your house or the neatly trimmed roses that define a capitulation to those abhorrent "middle class values" we all feared as young men and women. it wasn;t middle class values that were such a rotten thing in our youth, it was label that worked at the time, kinda. if you still question authority in all it does, if you still prefer to take the time to understand many sides of an issue rather than following some jingle laden propaganda campaign, if you still place a higher value on being honest in your dealings with those around you and don't fear change simply because it's new or different then maybe you held on to the values that were important and if you lived a comfortable life, there is no capitulation in that. You did OK.

ON THE OTHER HAND :D
If you've been sucked into to some kind of consumer-slavery with the need to have every whiz-bang sweetheart of a thingie that was just on TV and are plagued by "OMIGOD I GOTTA BE JUST LIKE them successful people down the street" kind of thoughts. If you take all you see on Fox news as gospel, or by into anything over hyped without intelligent deliberation and open-mindedness. Well, you just might've turned away from that path you saw in front of you back when you rejected all that was holy to those that held (what we saw as) "middle class values." Way back then.

Reading the above, one last time before I click that button; one might excused for thinking I should not post in these philosophical-type threads while under the headphones listening to "Dark Side of the Moon" after burnin' a very tasty joint of highland Thai (a rare treat here!).

Thank you for that - really. It is a beautiful articulation of a lesson that I learned because smoking a flower opened up my jaded and closed mind. It has taken a took a long time for the lesson to be fully actualized in my life, but I am at the door now and I've got a lot of life left in me yet. I already live in my "Chiang Mai" but I too am going back to my city by the bay for one last run of working for others so I can come back mitigate the capitulation.

Mr. Charlie

I´m upfront on everything else! It´s complicated, I´m sure they´d handle it well enough, or will handle it. I've only smoked for a couple of years again and only out of medical reasons but where we live it´s a touchy issue so...
Piel, Sounds good, bro. We all have circumstances that create our scene and luckily we can communicate and learn from each others experiences. Discretion is critical and also i have found that we need to pick our battles/issues. Keep up the great work! Cheers:ying:

Piel

Veteran
Spring is here and the older I get the more the seasons influence my thoughts, balance etc. Someone said that as we age we become less sensitive to light and need more of it to keep healthy.

But spring means that summer is on it´s way and with summer comes outdoors growing!

Life is here again.

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
I´ve been wondering how and old stoner lives? I remember rejecting middle class values back in the 70´s and here I am -middle class, three cars, dog and a cat, kids and the whole shebang.

43 years old here, so I don't quite feel like Papa Smurf yet, still I notice change as time goes by.

If by middle class values you mean a materialistic world view, then I must say that at the age of 20 I rejected it ideologically, today I don't but I don't feel the need for it.

It's odd really, I'm surrounded by people that feel they don't make enough money, that they're not successful enough and who work hard to raise their standard of living.

Personally I'm doing pretty well, and the more I make the less I feel I need it.

I don't need all those material objects that people covet. I need a place to live but no more than that, I don't need the bungalow by the beach with the pool and the BBQ patio, I don't need a car, nor the car that sets my social status right up there, don't need the weekend sailing boat, all the high tech gear we surround ourselves with, etc.

What I do feel a need for though is to develop as a human being, learn more, understand more, be more accomplished intellectually and spiritually.

I've travelled a lot in life, and value the memories more than any object in my possession.

To tell you honestly, I've been thinking about giving it all up, the career, the social life, get rid of everything I own and just set off towards a Buddhist monastery in the Himalayas... although I'm not there yet, too comfortable or too chicken,

I will need some more time, or a push in the back, before I'm off...

Mr. Charlie

What I do feel a need for though is to develop as a human being, learn more, understand more, be more accomplished intellectually and spiritually.

Right on Rosy Cheeks, I think you have figured out the formula. Now to spread the word/actions... :tiphat:
Keep on Keepin' on!

jarff

Finally at 60 yrs old I am more content with my life then ever before....don,t really know for sure but every day is a new experience.I am a lover of animals and always have quite a few hanging around....even the neighbors chickens........I am fortunate to live ten miles from town,because I don,t have a lot of visitors.....Morning routine (except for winter) I walks several hours around my property,,and stop a lot to admire the flowers,birds,frogs etc. I feel great even tho I have a serious illness,but because of my attitude I don,t let it bother me too much.It is cheap to live in my part of the planet and I don,t want for much as I figured out I don,t need much.I can honestly say I am content,,,ain,t afraid of death and I appreciate everyday that my feet hit the floor.......My only wish is that I hadn,t thought of the simplicity of life when I used to worked 20 hours a day 7 days a week.Better late then never.....
now it,s time for my evening joint......Life can be simple ...you gotta find it. good luck to all who are still looking for it.
jarff

Piel

Veteran
RC: Love your avatar, I´ve become more and more interested in the Mexican "day of the dead" and those skulls make great tattoos.

At 43 you aren´t Papa Smurf but you´re getting there.

At +50 I feel that life is starting to have proportion, I have some new mood stabilizers and that´s done me a world of good and the herb keeps my pain down.

And nature is wonderful, and music...and my loyal wife (31 years together this year) and my kid -lazy but who wasn´t when they were 19?

Life is good.

Andyo

Veteran
great until the bust

great until the bust

Im 54 in 3 weeks my daughters 28 and fine and independent.
at 49 i got busted in the uk, lost my house and all i owned.
Now 4 yrs later im living in thailand i own a house and have a new truck and motorbike.
Im growing to support myself ,my daughter comes out to visit at least once a year.
I dont miss the uk .
Im changing again ,ive always been a rebel but this time i feel a force within me stronger than before ,
Ive got this thing about not wanting a passport or a driving licence or id card .
What time i have left on mother earth is not long ,i have skin cancer ,jap encephalitis ,Hepatitis B.
Its my time ,i try not to be angry.im no threat to anyone unless they want to push me or control me .
All i want is complete freedom ,some how some where.
I guess i have more freedom than most i walk a tropical beach most mornings .i wear shorts only ,I am bare foot almost all the time.
Its mans lack of respect for himself and his fellow man that pisses me . what happened to integrity and honour and courage.
Well i still have mine and i stand by my values,though they may well be the death of me.A

P

pine boy

I want to think I live well.I mean I have a roof and ample time to hang out with good friends and family.
My only child is an adult and on her way.I have tools and a skill I have been working for 30 years.
Recently I have made a dicision to live a much easier life than to work a mainstream job for the uncaring.It just makes no sence to bust ass for someone that cares nothing for you.
So now my income comes from people that really need some help and I do work for them as cheap as I can and try to keep my spendings local.
On any given week my days are all about fun and games.I try to smile always and spread more smiles .I only wish the city I live in was a little more recreationaly diverse.I have to work really hard to recreate around here.
Still ,I count my Blessings and consider myself well off

Piel

Veteran
Anyo: Sorry to hear baout the skin cancer, is it melanoma, basalioma? I had melanoma 10 years ago but they found it at an early stage so it was cured surgically -gave me some awsome scars!
PB: Love you attitude, wish more of us could get in the same sync.

Hank Hemp

Veteran
I Bitch for sure

I Bitch for sure

Being unemployed over a year, longest in my life, isn't a joy ride for sure. But I've beat hep A, B and C. My sons have done very well by my families standards. Both have their degrees one MBA (go figure) for a major recession proof company and one is a computer program geek. And I married well, well she's a dress size smaller than when we wed. Well that's pretty well in my book. 36yrs this July, little did she know. LOL :comfort:

Piel

Veteran
HH: Being "on the dole" sucks bigtime. I´ve only been out of work for a short period in my life, luckily I had plenty to do -just no money. Being married for 36 years is easy if you find the right lady -we´ll be having our 31 anniversay this year.

As a late gen. x'er with the benefit of having seen the baby boomers (.e.g peace and love generation) and the post boom gerneration all I have to say is .......

Yech...

The 60's hippies are todays' corporate lawyers and political elite. After all they stayed behind while predominately the poor underclass was sent to South East Asia to fight the war of the elite from WW2.

They are essentially the George Bush's of the generation (perhaps more on the right wing) but nevertheless the same protectionist, imperialist that their parents were.

My generation has added little but critisizm but not too many solutions.

I think it is fair that one generation is critical of the other but by the time we all hit middle age we just want financial security and to retain our social position.

Just my take on the generation gap.

Hank Hemp

Veteran
I don't know Rev Mojo

I don't know Rev Mojo

I just don't know. As a certified son of the working class proletariat I went so I would feel worthy to sit at the Sunday Dinner table with the enlisted GI's who fought WW2. But that's just me. I never felt there was a choice about fighting for my country. It wasn't like today. Then we had a army of citizen soldiers.

hkush

Grew up, became stoner at a San Diego high school. Dropped out of high school the last WEEK because I was caught smoking weed and kicked out of the house.

Had shitty jobs for 20+ years, then fell ass backwards into a business that has put me into semi retirement. Haven't actually "worked" in almost a decade. Its not bad. But you kids! You stay in school. :)

sutra1

like most of you I'm in middle age (52) and things have changed greatly in my life. Started smoking when I was 12 and stopped for a 10 year layoff cause I needed to get serious about making some money for my child. Up to that point it was travel, grow, hang out. Going corporate was the worst experience, real fucked up way to live. Wound up with a house, worries about school and the direction of the town. Got into town govt. worked on trying to hold back unrestrained development. Now, things are cool, doing my own thing (sculpting) gardening & growing for my own head, and practicing yoga and meditation. My child is growing up faster than I imagined possible and being a parent gives one an interesting perspective on life. So far so good............