What's new

How do commercial growers dry?

SpacemanSpliff said:
The commercial indoor growers ..... Their end product always smelled great, too. All the outdoor commercial growers I know hang it 'till the stems will snap, trim it out...
Hey thanks for sharing that!!!
Some have suggested that strain/genotype could be a factor.
Do you recall the strains that were growing?...

thx
sat.

Last edited:

dobo

It's all about the strain/climate it was grown in, take for example grape vines, the vines can be the same clone but when grown in different regions theres a huge difference in taste/smell, I believe that pot is the same, you can have the same clone but 1 indoor 1 outdoor will produce different flavour/smell.

MindFury420

im expirimenting right now, i cut on friday morning have most of it hanging in a dark closetwith fan blowing near them, the small buds i cut off the stems and placed in some flat wire baskets that i made out of 1x1 pvc coated screen.that is sitting on a milk crate turned on it's sied with a fan blowing upwards. I put the smaller buds into a paper bag today. I put oen nug ontop of my cable box and dried it kinda of fast, was pretty tasty so i know the rest will be good. will get soem pics when it's done

I have two things to say, 1) in the mid 1980's a friend of mine who was a low level guy in the gang system told us when they got crappy pot from Mexico that looked and smelled like it grew in a sewer ditch, and of course they smoked what they sold, they would use a secret ingrediant. The secret ingrediant was an oil from a joke catalogue or sold from the back of comic books like sea monkies and 3D Glasses used to be. The secret ingrediant was "Skunk Oil" if any of you remember that stuff as a kid. They were cool enough not put it on the dried bud but simply dip a paper towel on the bottle and do a single rub on the plastic baggy so they buyer didn't smoke it.

2) For the real stank, not the fake oil stank, you need to feed the plant the stanky organic liquified fish funk like El Gardin MaxiCrop Yellow or some other Fish funk we're talkin Bassomatic!! I mean I can taste what I put in my organic soil because the plants uptake that stuff. I can taste molasses or orange juice or fish fert. That's just the way it is. I knew guys who threw road kill they grabbed in a single day into a six foot hole in a field and did the transplant and they got some nasty smelling weed that I thought was great until they told me exactly which weed it was, then I was pissed but too stoned to really complain. I swear by the fish ferts.

And I agree with the big growers who spoke up about various cure methods, sometimes bagging it a letting it sit open for weeks at a time isn't too bad.

The Afficianado

Last edited:
J

JamesChong

Commercial Drying

The method I've seen back in the late 80's. Was that all the plants where hung upside down. They would place a bunch of those kerosene heater in with them. Most of the time. They would do the drying in a barn or shed type deal. They would crank those heaters up. They wanted to dry those plants out quickly. Once they cook for about two days or so. They would pull them down and cut the main buds off. Then they would head to trimmers. Once they where all trimmed up. They would head to the packing department. In between steps, buds are still drying.

If I remember correctly. I would guess that the buds would have about 4 days at max drying time. Then they where being shipped to where ever. There is only one thing be hide Commercial Drying. Make as much money as you can and as quickly as you can. They want the quickest turn around time. They could careless about the end smell or taste. Well, that was back then, but I would guess. That things haven't change much.

This is only what I saw back then. Talking about a barn type building about 30x40 with nothing but plants hanging upside down drying as quickly as possible.
Take care,
BG

Dopey

If you're weed isn't smelling like the best you've ever smelled than it's gotta be the curing method. Don't forget all the traveling from person to person comm.weed is doing, getting broken down and rebagged over and over as the grower sells it to the #1 guy and he sells it to the #2 guy and so on. As a result the weed is actually being cured over a period of time. By the time people are buying oz.'s and 1/4's and shit the weed that was never cured by the grower tastes and smells pretty good. IMO the comm.weed that is bought months after it was harvested will be better than comm.weed that was harvested closer to the purchase date.
BTW I consider comm.weed any weed (any strain) that is grown in bulk and for a fast turn around. No TLC
P.S. The branches should never snap like a dry twig unless you are curing past 6 months or so and even then that's unusual. Dry branches= dry pot
Keep practicing different methods. Remember at first they need more time out of the jar than in. Alot more.

Pirate138

the Revenant
Veteran
Dopey said:
If you're weed isn't smelling like the best you've ever smelled than it's gotta be the curing method. Don't forget all the traveling from person to person comm.weed is doing, getting broken down and rebagged over and over as the grower sells it to the #1 guy and he sells it to the #2 guy and so on. As a result the weed is actually being cured over a period of time. By the time people are buying oz.'s and 1/4's and shit the weed that was never cured by the grower tastes and smells pretty good. IMO the comm.weed that is bought months after it was harvested will be better than comm.weed that was harvested closer to the purchase date.
BTW I consider comm.weed any weed (any strain) that is grown in bulk and for a fast turn around. No TLC
P.S. The branches should never snap like a dry twig unless you are curing past 6 months or so and even then that's unusual. Dry branches= dry pot
Keep practicing different methods. Remember at first they need more time out of the jar than in. Alot more.

What the fuck are you talking about? Just because a stem is brittle and snaps when broken doesnt mean your bud is dry. The stem SHOULD be brittle and snap before putting the bud into paper bags or jars.

talos4 said:
You know, whenever I buy pot it has that great smell. I jar cure, and maybe I haven't got it down yet, but my pot smells good, kinda sweet, and tastes great, but it doesn't smell like what you buy. I know commercial growers aren't jar curing, their drying as fast as they can but it always smells great. So, how would I dry 1 plant from my new harvest if I just wanted it to smell like that?

I believe you are making the mistake between "mass grown" and "commercial".

Nugz

SiR-GrOwS-aLoT said:
answer is simple...its being bag cured.

the cure is done in the bag on its way to the final consumer.
by time it get to the final consumer, the bags have been opened an shut many times due to examinations, seperating, diming out, ect

so some of that commercial weed can have the equivelent of a 2 month cure, however ,by time it got to the smoker , half the trichs would have been broken off and lost.

That be true. At least that's how i've seen it. They dry the buds as fast as they can, the put them in bags and "sweat" them for a couple of days, air them out a bit and off they go.

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
I believe what you say when weed is passed down from person to person, but I don't think there is really that many steps to the final buyer. Coke I can see being sent through many people, stepped on, then to others and so on, but what I have noticed with weed is there are usually not more than three persons from grower to end consumer. The steps are usally the grower to the middle man, middle man then usally breaks it up into quarter pounds, half pounds, Oz. ect. Then usually from middle man to 'street seller' which gives it to the end consumer. I know there might be an extra step in some circumstances, but usally that is it. So really the time from the grower to the end user isn't usally longer than a couple weeks at most. Around here good weed doesn't last too long. The last eight pounds I grew was gone in two days, and probably all smoked in a matter of one month. I can see mids sitting around for a while, but usually the better the weed the less time it sits, which ultimately means less cure time.

This is what I have noticed being in the buisness for over fifteen years now. I guess other locations where weed is worth more such as some area's in the USA might have more steps to final consumer due to value, but around here it just isn't like that. I can only speak for the Toronto area where I have the most experience with.

TGT

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
Ahhhhhhhhhh yes the Drying Curing Debate....... :cuss: :dueling: :cuss:

It's always a fun one .....
Drying..... :rasta:
Screens or strings all work well for drying Many Lbs at a time......the only real difference is the flat side of the screen dried bud...makes the bud a lil' smaller...not lighter just flat on one side.....with 20-30 Lbs you will notice the difference in Mass. :smoke:

For curing a "Large Harvest" Rubbermaid Tubs work best......We cured for a week or so with the stems and 2-3 days after the buds were removed from the stems......then Vac seal in Qt masons......never seen a 500 jar bust have you? Bcuz they don't happen.
the "Folks" doing this don't take "Chances".........jars kept in a cool dark place are safe for years....no damage from movement cuz they are in jars.
Good Luck............Happy Growing :smoke:

Strain related

Strain related

High all, I believe that the smell is strain related. Different strains have better or worst smells. Having high humidity at first and then gradually lowering humidity over a few days will help keep the smell.
Some strains don’t have much smell, some have lots...RR

treehugger

buy a dehumidifier- cuts the time hanging in half.

might want to get a hygrometer too- i keep the humidity at around 15% and in a week the branches are crack-o-lacken.

worth looking into.

tree

Im with spaceman,Trim main, Hang it, put fans on it, even dehumidify if in a damp area. Dry till it snaps, final trim, turkey bag it. Really the turkey bag could be considerd the cure jar. But comes out insane. MMMMgood.

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
slow dry time combined with leaving a little moisture and last but not least genetics. genetics i would say plays the biggest role.

tgt

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Collapsable shower curtain rods (non screw in type) and a bunch of cheap plastic coat hangers. Fan blowing constantly around buds. Dry in 5 days. I always trim first so theres less plant material to dry.

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
I bet a lot do like the tobacco growers do and setup a tent (military surplus?) and burn a tank of propane inside to get it hot and dry fast. I think I heard that CO2 helps the cure and helps react out the really reactive stuff like chlorophyll but thats just hearsay so don't take my word for it.

Military surplus tent a tank of propane and a burner isn't much money for a quick setup/takedown dry in the field kinda thing.

Shlomo

SiR-GrOwS-aLoT said:
answer is simple...its being bag cured.

the cure is done in the bag on its way to the final consumer.
by time it get to the final consumer, the bags have been opened an shut many times due to examinations, seperating, diming out, ect

so some of that commercial weed can have the equivelent of a 2 month cure, however ,by time it got to the smoker , half the trichs would have been broken off and lost.

Bingo. A nice dry bud in a tightly closed freezer bag will cure as good as anything, given time. Two weeks is cool, especially if not jostled too much.

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
Smell has to do with strain. Curing helps, but it is mostly genetics. If you want a smelly plant, you need to find one - can't make it stink more than it does normally.

TGT