What's new

How do commercial growers dry?

talos4

You know, whenever I buy pot it has that great smell. I jar cure, and maybe I haven't got it down yet, but my pot smells good, kinda sweet, and tastes great, but it doesn't smell like what you buy. I know commercial growers aren't jar curing, their drying as fast as they can but it always smells great. So, how would I dry 1 plant from my new harvest if I just wanted it to smell like that?

b8man

Veteran
Good question.

I've always wondered this too. Usually smells like it's had a 2 month cure - but I know this is extremely unlikely for your average commercial grower.

talos4

I've read that thread , but it still doesn't answer how commercial growers get that smell from just air drying which is all I think they do

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Sorry I couldn't be of any more help. Why not look around and find some 5-10kw+ or outdoor grows on the forums and see what kind of info you can find?

NOKUY

Veteran
talos4 said:
I've read that thread , but it still doesn't answer how commercial growers get that smell from just air drying which is all I think they do

I've never had commercial weed that smelled half as good as properly dried and cured homegrown.

The smell you like probably has more to do with the strain than the dry technique :confused:

talos4

I think one thing i'm doing wrong is I'm putting buds in cure jars too early. If your supposed to be able to snap the stem then I'm going in too early. I don't think I'm drying enough. The buds I have now smell sweet and good, but they have been curing for 2 months and then stem still bends more than snaps, sounds like I need more air

NOKUY

Veteran
The way I process my buds is to trim/manicure them in as big of a section as i can hang

I hang them inside a cardboard box w/ paperclips...and a tiny piece duct tape on the ends to hook the paperclips too ...I use duct tape also to make a net over the top of the boxes

they dry for about a week and like you said...when the stem snaps I remove the buds from the stalk and then jar them

If I had room to hang the whole plant or bigger sections I would do that...just trim up the biggest section u can, and hang it for a slower dry....then clip the buds off when u jar it.

where I live is at 9000 feet elevation in the rocky mountans, so there is not a problem getting things to dry out fast....its like afghanistan here. I would probably have a different method if I lived where there was more humidity.

hope that helps some?

talos4

So when you guys say go to jars when the stem snaps, I take it you mean when you bend it and the stem snaps but doesn't break all the way into? I've got a brand new harvest of 5 plants going this week, I want to get it right this time. Also, the buds I have now, if they have been in jars for 2 months and the stem still bends instead of snaps, and the bud has a sweet smell but doesn't smell quite like it should, then what should I do with these, just let them get more air and keep curing?

Last edited:
G

I'm testing this cure technique now with my latest harvest... Chopped her up but left a branch hanging while jarring up the others for different burp tests. Hopefully I'll soon know if just leaving a branch hanging works (commercial method I'd expect) or if it doesnt give the same quality as jarring. Seems to be somewhat debatable.

Mr.Pyrex

the commercial bud we get around here is called "China" smells like mini whites and taste like your drinking gasoline, the reason its called china, is because mainly asain growers, setup grow ops in suburban homes and neglect any thing healthy or quality wise for the plants, they basically do it just for the money, theres tons of other stuff but, china is the main and cheapest

i always cure the same way and mine tastes better than most.
1.last 10 days water only and use a final flush at the very end
2.chop down,lay flat on brown paper(i use the thick brown envelopes)in a dark room with a fan gently blowing for 24hrs
3.trim if not already done so and place in brown envelopes loosely,take out of envelopes for at least an hour a day to get air to all the buds for the first week.i usually take 3 weeks to slow cure mine in a cool dark place with a gentle fan blowing constantly but it always tastes better after 5 or 6 weeks.blueberry was awesome done this way...

talos4

But what about smell? My bud tastes great, but smells not as good as the classic pot smell everyone loves. Don't know why it's so hard to get that smell when the cheapest crap I ever bought smells like that. You know, that lemon piney pot smell

Fi_Di_Bot

Son Of Botany - Green Block Original Shrdana
Veteran
Hi i'm not an expirienced grower but i think you and me are used to the smell of what is growing in our 'room, so if we smell a bud that we never tasted she smell more stronger.
sorry for my horrible english but hope to had explain myself

G

Commercial weed never smells great. It usually smells just like straw. They use screens like the ones on screen doors. They just cut up the bud and stack the screens one onto of the other.

I've seen stacks of plants, i.e multiple pounds, just put in brown cardboard boxes and left for 4 months to dry and cure. Thats not my favorite method though seems quite effective. I prefer to hang them untill the stem snaps. After this point, I seperate the buds from the stock and either put it straight into freezer bags, or jars if I deem them to need a longer cure. Though I will say that the cure is slightly strain dependent; I smoked some stuff that was dried for only two days and it was some of the best tasting shit I ever had. Most of the strains I run don't normally require an extended cure, one week is usually sufficient before it is delicious/commericially viable.

Sativa Soul

I've always wondered the same thing. I've never had howegrown that smelled anything like commercial. But the commercial here smells pretty good. I live in belgium and quality is allmost as good as in holland here (sometimes even better). Just gotta watch out for the contaminated stuff.

Bumboklot

I have had some pretty large crops and the best method i have found is, hang the plants upside down on strong tie wire in a cool dark building for at least 21 days to make sure all water is gone, then go to trimming, always seemed to work good for me

Latest posts

Latest posts