What's new

How did Skunk the strain get its name?

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
When ppl say "roadkill skunk" they just mean the smell of a skunk dead in the road not necessarily rotting flesh.

A skunk dead in the road has a slightly different smell then just straight skunk spray, skunk spray itself is a little too strong.

The skunky weed I have had experience with in the past smells more like a dead skunk you drive by, that aerated skunk odor that just drifts. Not the eye burning acidic type odor that comes from fresh spray.

I don't know why it is so highly sought after, probably mostly because it is rare, but there is also just people who seek out unique terpenes. The terps are the experience.

Some of the most magical herbs I have had have had the most unique and rare terpene profiles.

I actually just harvested some sour diesel this particular pheno is the closest thing I have found to roadkill skunk I can't stop smelling my fingers lol.

pinkus

Veteran
I don't know why it is so highly sought after, probably mostly because it is rare, but there is also just people who seek out unique terpenes. The terps are the experience.

It's only sought by a few AFAIK. You claim it's rare... I'm sick of it dominating my Xs.

I'm going with Sam on this one. Ya'll want it because you can't have it. It's the perceived rarity that has many putting it on a pedestal. Skunk #1 changed the whole market, it was good, commercial product. I loved it when it was a new novelty, but it was never the rocket ride of a lumbo gold. I think we loved it because all of a sudden, weed had a bottom end: Indica.

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
I'm sick of it dominating my Xs.

No offense but I think you're full of shit.
There has got to be some kind of demand for it because every cannaforum I have ever read has very long RKS threads.

Who are you to tell me what I want or dont want, and who even said it needs to be skunk the strain that we want. Just a strain that stinks like a dead skunk will suffice, no relation to skunk #1 at all is necessary.

pinkus

Veteran
Love it all you want. :biggrin: and you seem chuck full of fecal material (and anger) yourself my friend :moon: I think i've given credit where it's due; skunk changed the whole landscape... because it was a killer COMMERCIAL product. It split the difference of the best traits of the NLDs and the WLDs. The difference being the high was (generally) better in the tropical NLDs and the WLDs were better in almost all departments from a grower's point of view.

There are a few people on every form wanting skunk it's true. It's equally true that you are one of them. It (the "skunky skunk") became less common because people took the time to breed it out... because they didn't desire it.

Have as many tantrums as you want. It's out there. It's in my closet. Have a nice day :tiphat:

blastfrompast

Veteran
Why do people have a fascination with the skunk smell....

The sativa leaning hybrid I was gifted and grew for a while reeked like a dead skunk...Reminded me of what a skunk smells like after you hit it with a load of 00 buck. The smell gave my wife headaches and was major heat to grow as it reeks to high heaven...and trimming it would make me gag after a while...I got rid of it once I had nicer gals in the stable

Cropped REALLY nicely....good high..seems to make some people paranoid tho...but stinks soo bad. I have a couple oz left jar'd up and my wife knows when I break out a bit...

Buds are kinda airy, it loved side branching....very fine calyx's...there are some pics on here...we call it tumbleweed...

Why anyone wants smoke that reminds you of a RKS....who knows....I like my weed sweet and fruity for the most part....I will say that you can smoke it exclusively for months on end and it seems to never lose it's "kick".... Just not the effect I was looking for.

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
Ok so you guys dont understand why anyone would want it, thats great move along to the the fruit thread lol

There are a few people on every form wanting skunk it's true. It's equally true that you are one of them. It (the "skunky skunk") became less common because people took the time to breed it out... because they didn't desire it.

Have as many tantrums as you want. It's out there. It's in my closet. Have a nice day :tiphat:

Meanwhile, stinky weed is some of most popular on earth, OG, Sour Diesel, the chems, all incredibly stinky, and all incredibly popular and in demand. In my experience most smokers I have come across will pick the stinky shit over fruity any day of the week, even if it is just a novelty. I personally like all types of weed, I am just intrigued by the stinkers.

I think you are just being a troll, so go find someone else to play with.

Betterhaff

Veteran
I think there may be some nostalgic values when it comes to skunk especially with older smokers. I can pull out 2 jars of bud, one that is more potent and has a more quality high without any skunk smell and one that spews skunk when opened. People, most times, seem to gravitate to the one with the skunk. Again this tends to be with older smokers and ones probably not up with the immense variety that’s available today. Now if I were to pull out a jar of 70’s Columbian red bud it may be a different story (I wish I could).

I’ve also experienced this with phenos of strains. I have 2 phenos of a particular strain, one has more of a tropical aroma with a hint of skunk and the other is the opposite, skunky with a hint of tropical. The one with less skunk is definitely more powerful and an all around better smoke but when people get a whiff of the skunky one, that’s the one they want, you can almost see their eyes light up.

pinkus

Veteran
I’ve also experienced this with phenos of strains. I have 2 phenos of a particular strain, one has more of a tropical aroma with a hint of skunk and the other is the opposite, skunky with a hint of tropical. The one with less skunk is definitely more powerful and an all around better smoke but when people get a whiff of the skunky one, that’s the one they want, you can almost see their eyes light up.

This describes my garden and predicament. The cut that stinks and produces big buds is what many consumers want. But it's inferior IMO to the cut I want to smoke...that's fine. The skunky cut is faster and produces more (and has a great bud to leaf ratio) so I'm OK with it... but in all honesty I wish people weren't so easily swayed by looks and pungency.

BTW, I love many "foul" smelling cultivars. The old White Widow was a favorite, and it was down right gross. I have some crosses where that shows up :) that's a smell like an old friend :comfort:

HitH why did you even start the thread if you didn't want real feedback? BTW it's ICMAG's thread not yours. I'm a grower that has skunk problems. It's a skunk thread. So here I am.

EDIT: I suppose it was disrespectful to assume I knew why you want skunk. I apologize :tiphat:

Last edited:

blastfrompast

Veteran
I can understand being sentimental...but come on....

I rank it up one above smoking some of buddies "dog shit" strain.....his buds smell like fresh dogshit when they get burnt....gets you high like everything else ..but the smell lingers and who wants to smell like they stepped in a fresh pile...he likes it...but most people don't...

CCfromTCC

Sam, just curious..
Why do u have seeds/pollen of "skunk" smelling skunk if you have no interest in growing it or reproducing it?
How come you haven't or will not give them to a/few breeders or would work with it?

Wu Wei

Hey everyone, I see a lot of people claiming the original skunk is dead? Come to the UK and smell the real exodus cheese... Boom!

Peace :ying:

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G`day Wu Wei

I`ll let you in on some thin ...
Exodus Cheese cut has traveled across the ocean to Nth America !
Just as OG Kush and Girl Scout Cookies cuts are in the EU . Its the global village remember .

Unless you have lived in or visited Nth America it would not be possible to know what a dead skunk smells like ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .

harry74

Veteran
The Afghani used by Soma for Lavender is really stinky.

He got it from Shantibaba.

If you can get that male, cross it with a Skunk line and then inbred the line with the stinkiest phenos...... somenthing could come out.

harry74

Veteran
I think as well that the most "fetid" afghani terpene profiles are the outcome of a long exposure to a extreme climate.

What about growing/breeding a Skunk population in some place of the States with a extreme climate that could resemble the arid/extreme climate of some áreas of Afghanistan?????

I was thinking places like Nevada,Arizona......would be a interesting experiment.

just a funny idea...

harry74

Veteran
The Afghani used by Soma for Lavender is really stinky.

He got it from Shantibaba.

If you can get that male, cross it with a Skunk line and then inbred the line with the stinkiest phenos...... somenthing could come out.

....And stop harassing Sam for god´s sake!!!!!

Sam:
If they follow harassing you, sue them..... WTF

Wu Wei

G`day Wu Wei

I`ll let you in on some thin ...
Exodus Cheese cut has traveled across the ocean to Nth America !
Just as OG Kush and Girl Scout Cookies cuts are in the EU . Its the global village remember .

Unless you have lived in or visited Nth America it would not be possible to know what a dead skunk smells like ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Hey Emler, I understand that the cheese cut has made its way to nor America for many to enjoy!

I was just trying to say that skunk is not dead and I will not be, people would not let such genetics die out!

And that is very true I do not have a clue what a dead skunk would smell like, but correct me if I am wrong... Didn't the term "skunk" for cannabis come from holland before the original skunk #1 was diluted?

Peace brother :ying:

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
And that is very true I do not have a clue what a dead skunk would smell like, but correct me if I am wrong... Didn't the term "skunk" for cannabis come from holland before the original skunk #1 was diluted?

Peace brother :ying:

If you read thru this thread the skunk #1 was diluted with sweet smells before it made it to Amsterdam.

The word "skunk" seems to have a different connotation in EU, over there it seems to be used as a slang term for good weed, not something that actually smells like a skunk.

The Cheese keeps being mentioned, and it may be stinky but its not a true skunk odor.

Piff Rhys Jones

🌴 Hugging Trees 🌴
Veteran
Brightside's cheese cut has zero sweetness and pure wall penetrating afghan funk.

There are sweeter cuts of cheese like the suicide cut, but Brightside's is the original and it's hard to describe the smell, other than offensive, yet pleasant funk.

Peace