What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How big is the universe?

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Here's a quote, I often think outside of the box too... :ying:

View Image

Far out, man... let go burn a doob and perceive for ourselves, all that which cannot be articulated..We could, like, invent a new inner-mental language in which all that is inconceivable could transcendentally be tranfered to our fellow man through thought processes alone....We could change the world for the better...

Sorry SF69,, I just couldn't resist.... LOL

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
The universe is so big that we are able to condense it down to one term "The Universe" even though it's vast size is because of many galaxies coming together to form the universe.

Kind of like how we think of oceans on this planet. You can go to the west coast and look westward and say there is the ocean but is it "The Ocean" meaning the one continuous body of water that surrounds and separates the land masses on this planet or is it "The Pacific Ocean" that essentially ends when you get to Asia?

Q

quokka

On one documentary i saw, can't remember what it was called......

They were talking about finding a law or equation to define the universe or cosmos/ multiverses, whatever.......

And one said the equation for the universe is what we see and are, that IS the equation, you can't write a simple (or infinately complex) equation to define it/ us/ everything..... and/ or nothing.
This IS the equation.

Sounded like a good idea to me.

Galactic

Infinitely small and infinitely large... beginningless and endless... containing the potential and the actualized... into 1 coherent fabric

Stonefree69

Veg & Flower Station keeper
Veteran
no everything is either energy or matter, not one or the other, but both are interchangable.
Then there's also dark matter & dark energy.

The extra gravity seen out there in big scales in space doesn't apply to Newton's law of gravity as it's not a constant number or result - there's about 9x more gravity seen by matter behaving on larger scales (like stars on outer edges of galaxy moving way faster than they should be) & gravitational lensing (bending of light around large objects far out in space, it bends way more than expected).

Maybe it's a simple adjustment for the equation for gravity on a larger scale on Newton's equation. But still, why?!

Also the expansion of the universe is accelerating, not steady or slowing down. Maybe a "big void" is pulling everything out that way. Or one huge "big mass"?

IDK, it's like putting a gallon of gas in your tank when on empty, only to find your tank starts overflowing... Something's just there that defies all logic. Still believe some day it'll get figured out - just have to question some more and get better observations, which these days are making leaps & bounds...

Latest posts

Latest posts