What's new

How big is the universe?

Galactic

Flexibility is key. Why all the dogma and science for? Humans are the final and poorly calibrated vessels of evaluation/measurement.

eskimo

Veteran
greetings from here to (t)here

greetings from here to (t)here

i don't think it doese realy mater how big the universe is.... its not posible to say... i think that what we all hawe to realise from moment to moment the you and you and the i n`i in all ... the birth of us, as the birth of the universe, in every moment ... now is the birth of all and its all equal live just in other form`s, in all forms that can be ... we are all here, (t)here, every(w)here everytime ... now ....magical...
as for the theory the universe is a program of a compiuter neard, sure could be ... but what is over him (a other one ?? and him ??) ... i mean there is no end ...there is just live... every(w)here ; )....

yes i from here to (t)here ....

one love, respect :)

..hawe a nice time :)

...from i to i n`i... :)

om om om
:tiphat:

Last edited:

Skinny Leaf

Veteran
I would say the universe we know is a former universe that imploded on itself. In a simple way like pulling a sock inside out. Matter would get so dense at one point a mere tug on a thread and the entire sock would be inside out in a flash. I would also say it is perpetual and this universe will eventually get pulled right side out or inside out.

As far as what was here before, that is way too much for a simple mind. How could nothing be something? Even a belief in God, begets the question what was before God? The topic of the universe is a good subject to get stoned and think about.

I didn't read the whole thread was there any Uranus jokes yet?

jayjayfrank

Veteran
according to the youtube link on the first page the quantum math of empty space is all you need to make a big bang, empty space has the most 'energy'.

Einstein said the big bang was like balancing a pencil on the very tip of a pencil lead and leaving it there forever...... its conceivable that it took many times before the pencil could balance on its tip it just the right way; just like the big bang could have exploded and imploded several times before getting it 'just right' and creating the universe.

the question would be who balanced the pencil on the table just right?

Stonefree69

Veg & Flower Station keeper
Veteran
I would say the universe we know is a former universe that imploded on itself. In a simple way like pulling a sock inside out. Matter would get so dense at one point a mere tug on a thread and the entire sock would be inside out in a flash. I would also say it is perpetual and this universe will eventually get pulled right side out or inside out.

As far as what was here before, that is way too much for a simple mind. How could nothing be something? Even a belief in God, begets the question what was before God? The topic of the universe is a good subject to get stoned and think about.

I didn't read the whole thread was there any Uranus jokes yet?
Supposedly many favor the Universe will end in a whimper some 10^100 years from now as it keeps expanding & accelerating. There's not nearly enough matter and even dark matter to pull it back together by gravity. Even black holes will eventually evaporate (by Hawking or x-ray radiation). But some physicists say that something in infinity & the very end could create another universe out of nothing given enough chances in that infinity. Then the multiverse theory won't need for that to happen as there's already an infinite number of infinite universes being born and expanding like this one.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
why would a pencil balance without anyone trying?

and thus the universe

This is a very common creationist argument. They say everything needs to have a creator, but if I ask where the creator came from, the answer will invariably be "he was always there, he is timeless yada yada yada".
So, if this creator can always have been there, why can't the universe in some form?
If course there is no balancing pencil, it's an analogy.

Setting up rules (someone must have set it in motion), then exempting the thing they are arguing for (except god because he just always was) is special pleading.

jayjayfrank

Veteran
right, the 'balancing a pencil on a table' analogy is how the thinking went 100 years ago

now we think its more like an infinite rain of pencils on a table that stretches to infinity and we just so happen to call one of those pencils home.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I remember one night about 40 years ago, while lying on a lawn chair in the back yard on a very starlit night..
I came up with the profound revelation that perhaps the entire, infinite universe as we know it, was merely just a molecule on the surface of a golfball of some much LARGER universe, and was about to get whacked down the fairway by some infinitesimal golfer on the 7 hole of his universe...

Of course it could have just been that jay of that awesome sativa I was getting back then...

Last edited:
Q

quokka

Very deep Bud Green Sr. :redface:

Reminds me of the scene from Revenge of the Nerds 2, and one of the nerds said 'So perpetual bigness exists simultaneously with perpetual smallness. What was I thinking?'

And a wise man named 'Ogre' said 'What if C-A-T actually spelled Dog?'

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Has anyone said "billons and billions of light years", yet. Carl would have.

Carl was very cool. I'm no dummy, but Carl's intellect FAR surpassed mine.. I enjoyed reading him and seeing the shows on TV he hosted....
He was also a VERY big pothead...

R.I.P. Carl Sagan

Stonefree69

Veg & Flower Station keeper
Veteran
b6cfdc56aa82f6470e3c246998fda6a88b99deef4c82a243cc77de85965e165f.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts