What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How big is the universe?

Very unique topic. Thanks for posting it. Seeing this on a pot site I can't help but think of the year I started getting high. Animal House had just come out with the scene where the guy and his girlfriend get high with their professor in a bathroom. It's the first time for the couple and the guy gets fixated on how the universe is in his fingernail. That sense of stoned humor was typical of the highly educated writers of National Lampoon in the 70s.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
we can only see the light that has reached us from far away galaxies. whos to say there isnt light that hasnt reached us yet. i guess time will tell

the guy that posted the Lawrence Krauss link can anwser that. go watch that video it will blow your mind, and the thing is you could still be right. who knows?

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
http://htwins.net/scale2/

The scale of the Universe 2. A flash presentation on the actual scale of the universe from the smallest quantam foam which we now know as the higgs boson all the way to the great Sloan galaxy wall the largest know structure in the universe. the rest of what we see is just empty space full of dark matter.

It's so cool to think about. the billions of complex cells that makes up our bodies is made up of billions of smaller separate parts, and then the other direction, to the largest thing in the universe. The scale of things in the human body actually goes smaller than the largest things in the universe relevant to us. meaning the smallest thing in our own body could see us as a universe bigger thn we actually view our universe with all our knowledge. by scale each body is a universe all on it's own.

Then to think there is billions of stars in our galaxy, and billions of galaxies in a galaxy cluster, and there is billions of galaxy clusters in a galaxy wall. then the largest galaxy wall the Sloan great wall is only 1/60th the length of the know universe, and that is just how far we can see. there is more.

Then to think about that most space inside every atom is empty. 99 percent empty. well filled with higgs bosons, but that is essentially the fabric of the universe. That means 99 percent of out body is higgs boson and the one percent is actual matter, and 75 percent of that is just water. If you compacted all the matter in the universe it would fit in an exponential fraction of the space it takes up now which is nothing to begin with.

Last edited:
A

Alfred

Thanks for the link to the Scale of the Universe, i had never seen that. :)

Perhaps it was just me that didn't notice that there was as much research into 'smallness' as there is. lol
Probably because it is just so....., uh, ....small.....?

So, lengths shorter than a Femtometer are only theories? I had never heard of a Yoctometer. Or a Femtometer. (goes cross-eyed, again)

barnyard

the question assumes the Universe is comprised totally 3D space and time and it's not. The Universe is mostly black wholes where time goes backwards and matter becomes very, very, very dense. So the better questions is, "what is the shape of the Universe" because the Universe is in a constant state of expansion and contraction.

Or possibly an even better question would be "how can the Universe have no size?"

thinman

"Or possibly an even better question would be "how can the Universe have no size?" " barnyard

the thing that gets me is this: if there is no such thing as infinity, what's on the other side of the universe? the human mind is not capable of understanding these things...

edited: SHOULD HAVE READ THE THREAD FROM THE START.. PEARLEMAE ALREADY ASKED MY QUESTION

Frozenguy

Veteran
Get this.

Even if we came up with light speed travel, it would take an entire year to accelerate up to that speed safely at 1g (making it feel like we are on earth).

I'm not sure we can take 2,3,4-8 g's for days, months on end.

Even if you accelerated at 9 g's all day, all night non stop, it would take 39 days to reach light speed.

Lets hope NASA really does have a lead on warping space time to achieve 'faster than light' travel (even though you aren't really moving).

A

Alfred

I thought Einstein said you can't accelerate mass to the speed of light?
(Not that i fully understand what that means anyway.)

This sort of explains,

Suppose you have got an electron (m = 9.1 × 10-31 kg) to 99.99% of speed of light. This is equivalent to providing 36 MeV of kinetic energy. Now suppose you accelerate "a little more" by providing yet another 36 MeV of energy. You will find this this only boosts the electron to 99.9975% c. Say you accelerate "a lot more" by providing 36,000,000 MeV instead of 36 MeV. That will still make you reach 99.99999999999999% c instead of 100%. The energy increase explodes as you approach c, and your input will exhaust eventually no matter how large it is. The difference between 99.99% and 100% is infinite amount of energy.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"this universe does essentially have a beginning and an end time wise"

I believe this is wrong.. there was no beginning, and then there is no end..

so tell me this then if there is a beginning, what ever was the "first" thing in the universe, and where did it come from then, if nothing 'existed' before.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
This thread is right up my alley...

The nearest star to ours is approximately 4 light years away. So, at light speed, it would take 4 years to the nearest star. At sub-light speed, it would take anywhere from a decade to a lifetime just to reach the nearest star to us. And we haven't even been to mars yet!

More of this, please!

ok guys you gotta think outside the box on this and not like pre columbus days of the earth is flat lol

think of the universe as fluid as to have a free flowing soft membrane someone flexable as bubble gum it gives and takes if you go that direction it moves forward for you to advance.

everything inner is somelike an eccosphere all doing its part or function so it all works together

or think of it as somewhat like a jelly fish membrane gives and takes as needed

maybe worm holes connect from one eccosphere to another? who knows have to futher think on that one

Stonefree69

Veg & Flower Station keeper
Veteran
"this universe does essentially have a beginning and an end time wise"

I believe this is wrong.. there was no beginning, and then there is no end..

so tell me this then if there is a beginning, what ever was the "first" thing in the universe, and where did it come from then, if nothing 'existed' before.
The 1st thing to expand out was space faster than the speed of light, the size of a galaxy or so in a split second. Then a plasmic soup of quarks and other sub-atomic particles. They measure Planck time after the big bang from a starting point. They think the universe may end in a "whimper" a google or so years from now. But chance says anything could really happen in space after an infinite amount of time. If it was in a steady state then it might have no end.

Stonefree69

Veg & Flower Station keeper
Veteran
Very unique topic. Thanks for posting it. Seeing this on a pot site I can't help but think of the year I started getting high. Animal House had just come out with the scene where the guy and his girlfriend get high with their professor in a bathroom. It's the first time for the couple and the guy gets fixated on how the universe is in his fingernail. That sense of stoned humor was typical of the highly educated writers of National Lampoon in the 70s.
:laughing:I was looking for a Youtube link to that yesterday. Found John Belushi's screen audition for SNL instead doing the funniest Marlin Brando.

Show on SCIHD tonite called "How small is the universe?".

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
You know that the earth has just had some near misses with meteors so if we don't get hit by a neutron star then we are all good lol..headband 707

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts