What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How are the high THC strains being made?

Timj

From what I've understood so far: the terpenes also have a part in the way we preceive the high.
Cannabis contains over 500 distinct compounds, which include cannabinoids, terpenoids, flavonoids, and omega fatty acids. Terpenoids are responsible for the aroma of cannabis and other flowering plants. Studies have shown terpenoids to have diverse physiologic effects, and terpenoids may be contributing to the observed effects of cannabis.

Greaselightning

I don't know, but recently some of these new strains have been on another level. I think the plants themselves are getting stronger as they adapt more to indoor environments.

Dr.Mantis

Yeah, to echo what others have said. I’m really doubtful of anything 20% +. If dry cured flower has a few percent moisture, and the rest is plant material, I have trouble believing that more than 20% of all that is THC or THC-a by weight. That would mean I could get around 2g of pure thc from 10g of flower - ha in my dreams.

Does anyone know the methods used by labs? Additionally the manufacturer error and calibration methods on these tests?

Tomatoesonly

Yeah, to echo what others have said. I’m really doubtful of anything 20% +. If dry cured flower has a few percent moisture, and the rest is plant material, I have trouble believing that more than 20% of all that is THC or THC-a by weight. That would mean I could get around 2g of pure thc from 10g of flower - ha in my dreams.

Does anyone know the methods used by labs? Additionally the manufacturer error and calibration methods on these tests?
I thought that's how it worked because I was reading how you calculated how much to use when making edibles.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
When they test, they must dessicate the sample first. I have never done that and always cure to 63% moisture. So it would be the bone dry weight. I have no idea of the weight difference between the two.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
High THC % is not an indication of high potency.. The specific cannabinoid mix(chemotype) is what makes the best high, smells, and Flav. I'm looking for specific Chemotypes to produce my quality and to breed with. People have been breeding for mostly high THC pretty plants for a long time. These do not make the best highs. It's used as a sales tactic. Most buy based on looks, everyone exploits this.

Judging quality/Potency is not standard and can be very different from one to another. With the right Chemotype, 20% will be better and more potent than something that tests at 30%.

Breeding high THC is def done by selections from plants that have the highest resin coverage. Sometimes using a lab to see THC results are used.

Gry

Veteran
Been a fan of extracts since I was a kid.
Bought an iso 2 back when they were first available in the back of High Times. With the little add on kit that one could get with the iso 2,
it was more than possible to turn out extracts that were apx 30%
THC.
So turn time forward to today. One can grow 30% strains and make
extract from them today. What % would the extract be ?
I have no idea how strong it is, but I do know that I have used
the extracts in place of opiates in dealing with cancer in my own
life, and have seen it work well for others as well.
I fully agree with Hammerhead, when he says % are used as a
sales gimmick, and should not be used as a sole indicator of
potency...

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Been a fan of extracts since I was a kid.
Bought an iso 2 back when they were first available in the back of High Times. With the little add on kit that one could get with the iso 2,
it was more than possible to turn out extracts that were apx 30%
THC.
So turn time forward to today. One can grow 30% strains and make
extract from them today. What % would the extract be ?
I have no idea how strong it is, but I do know that I have used
the extracts in place of opiates in dealing with cancer in my own
life, and have seen it work well for others as well.
I fully agree with Hammerhead, when he says % are used as a
sales gimmick, and should not be used as a sole indicator of
potency...
We must be same age. I bought the KikIt, which used methylene chloride. ISO2 was more expensive but probably better. That was 78/79. Didn't that use ethyl alcohol. Did you have THC alchemy book?? That was actually earlier. My father found it in mail after brother got busted around 73.

Last edited:

Gry

Veteran
We must be same age. I bought the KikIt, which used methylene chloride. ISO2 was more expensive but probably better. That was 78/79. Didn't that use ethyl alcohol. Did you have THC alchemy book?? That was actually earlier. My father found it in mail after brother got busted around 73.

Yes, I had the book also. The author of the book was also the
the guy who built the iso 2, as grey wolf has revealed in his blog.
He has given the guy his own section in grey wolfs most interesting
blog which pays tribute to the origins of todays extract industry.

Last edited:

Brother Nature

The proper method for testing would be GC-MS which would give a completely accurate result. But as othes have posted and I have heard from many in the legal industry, it's mostly a gimmmick. There's not a lot stopping a producer from upping their results by slipping the testing company a few extra bucks to pad their 'findings'. Getting 3g of extract from 10g of bud isn't an unheard of thing, so I don't doubt the 30% claims on some string. But, again as others have said, it's not all about THC levels, I find in my multi-strain grows, the strong stuff sells the best, but the stuff I keep for myself is generally used by those who appreciate the full effect of cannabis and don't want to just "get fucked up, bro." I personally prefer stuff I can toke on all day, remain high, but not couch bound, those strains don't tend to be too popular these days.

radioman

For smoking purposes - I have come to believe it's "personal preference". What works best for You and what You like. Maybe even the time of year, may affect your decision on what You are going to use (if You have a choice). Since "They" opened up the shops - I have had my own cannabis that I grew + I've been able to afford to buy ( mostly overpriced) cannabis. I have tried the most expensive, hyped up weed to the middle priced and the lowest priced. I've bought a couple clones and grew them out as well. I bought one "jar" that was very expensive - that I thought was crap and I promptly complained (by email) to the grower/producer - I was offered a replacement...
For the most part - I thought my own cannabis was better. Generally, I would try theirs but return to mine. I still have a few strains left that I never finished the "jar". I did find one strain - MAC or The MAC - that I liked and I bought twice (quarters). For Lab results and selling purposes - it was listed at 22%. For Me - it was like trying on new eyeglasses - I tried on over a dozen pairs until I found the ones I liked. Same thing with the Shop Weed. I check their listings often to see if there is any MAC - it sells out quickly. Other than that - I'm not interested in any of their offerings - I'll just smoke my own (unless I run out)...

Astro1

Bullshit is how. There is no enforcement for bullshit in the space so that is what you have. There is a vendor here in town (California) that lists flower from 20% all the way up to 43%.(as of my last visit)...you think somebody is taking them to court? Nope...so thats what it is. The other thing is it's easy to cook the books, the labs test the samples you send them..they don't have a clue what you send them. Shove a rock of pure extract into your bud sample and send her off to the lab. Bam 40% THC....but not really...I would say that 99% of the bud out there is actually all under 25% THC...unfortunately there is little scrutiny and few people calling out bullshit where it's due.

Don't even get me started with all the strain names....the minute you take a biology class and learn cannabis is not true breeding and that cannabis clones and mothers do age (I've kept many as long as 7 years they start taking FOREVER to root) you realize that the strain you smoked 10 years ago being sold today under the same name is likely a completely different plant entirely similar to the original as it may be and the names on the labels at the bud tender are almost entirely bullshit.

I really though that with legalization, regulation etc that the above would be left in the past but it has only got worse. So, now you have WoooWooo stoner bro hype thats even more extreme than 10 years ago and it was already bad back then and now you have people believing that 40% THC bud is a real thing and even though they're not getting any higher puffin on it they'll tell you it's fire because they spent some bread on it while uncle Larry is puffin on some home grown and LHFAO.

Last edited: