What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How are the high THC strains being made?

Tomatoesonly

Breeding is not something I wanna try nor do I have the room, but I'm still curious.
Is it purely selection, or has this stuff been floating around, just not lab certified? It seems the plant is gonna top out at some point, right? There can't be 65-70% THC plants ???
Did someone find a magic jungle plant that took everything from 17-18 to into the 30's? Or is it pure combinations and if you stumble on the right one, then there ya go??? I mean, it seems people are taking two lower THC strains and making a higher THC strain... how does that happen???

Last edited:

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
It's not something I wanna try nor do I have the room. Is it purely selection, or has this stuff been floating around, just not lab certified? It seems the plant is gonna top out at some point, right? There can't be 65-70% THC plants ???
Did someone find a magic jungle plant that took everything from 17-18 to into the 30's? Or is it pure combinations and if you stumble on the right one, then there ya go??? I mean, it seems people are taking two lower THC strains and making a higher THC strain... how does that happen???
Today strains we are smoking are made from seeds that came from around the globe...Since 60' they are being breed for stronger high and better terps(mostly for purpose of smoking flower)+ various modifications on them with various chemicals to even get better results for desired traits we want.

In fact weed isnt stronger than before...there were also plants that have genetic potential and sometimes they are grown almost to perfection and had in that time also very high procent of thc.

Today with our breeding we set the standards that normal cultivars are very strong and we can choose smell,tastes,bag apeal and type of high we want.
And in today seeds its very easy to find very good cultivar that have desiered traits.

Weed that was grown before was mostly grown outdoors and not to full potential in largest procent it was bad grown,sometimes it was good...and very rear it was perfect or near to perfect...and when you smoke first time as teenager some great pot you will rememeber that high for a life time...as I do.
Mostly while being kid and smoking landeaces I remeber burned spots on my track suits caused of seed that were not propperly cleared from Joint before smoke. 😉

Thats why some peoole swear that some Hazes and old school landeaces of 80,90 were something which was the best....cant think what will those people say that someone give them in 80's or 90's..
Some good grown modern exotic...that taste like ice cream and hits like tyson....

You can fight everything in your life,but time will always beat you up.

Its not the same when you smoke your fifth joint in life and smoke something after 30 years of daily smoking.
My humble opinion that in global for avarage smoker weed is better than ever before.
You can at home adress order any kind of high,taste,bag apeal you want. Even landeaces from all around the globe...we live in golden era of cannabis that is what I think right now.

mexweed

Veteran
for starters most recreational/legal states have something like a +/-15% allowable variance for testing/labeling

there has also been a lot of university level research done since legalization, and some advancements in lighting technology, so the grow environments at least on the level where there is enough money invested are vastly superior to say those old videos of Simon and Arjan explaining how to set up a room

Brother Nature

Science and passion. We've been artificially selecting and improving the plant kingdom to suit our needs for many thousands of years, it's no different with cannabis. It's a plant that has survived by being adaptable to the dominant species on earth. There will always be a point of diminishing return and I can't see how much more than 30% active chemicals can be advanced, given the amount of non active material in plant matter, but I have been wrong a couple times in the past...

El Timbo

in general imho

the [good]OLD stuff had more happy energy

less tasty terpy mind numbing stone that seems to lead to lethargy

but the modern stuff sho is pretty and easy to grow

The good new stuff has that energy as well - more to do with lack of cbd than huge amounts of thc I think.

Timj

Selective breeding. Here's a great example.
CARROTS used to be white. They were grown for their leaves and seeds, much as their distant relatives, parsley and coriander, still are. The chemical compounds that give carrots their vivid colour, carotenoids, are usually used by plants that grow above ground to assist in the process of photosynthesis. But carrots live underground. Subterranean cousins, such as the parsnip and the turnip are both mainly white. How then did the carrot bring a bit of color to the dinner table?

Carrots originated in modern-day Iran and Afghanistan. They contain around 32,000 genes (more than humans), of which two recessive ones contribute to a build-up of carotenoids, such as alpha- and beta-carotene. Scientists believe early farmers grew colorful carrots unintentionally, and then continued the practice more purposefully in order to differentiate them from wild ones. Around 1,100 years ago purple and then yellow varieties emerged, followed another 600 years later, thanks to further selective breeding, by the modern orange form, which has lots of beta carotene.

WingzHauser

High thc comes from breeders who are secretly working with larger entities, because humans do not select for high thc. Only the labs judge cannabis by thc.

Quality on the other hand comes from selection + nutrition. No one seems to be able to intentionally breed skunk x skunk with skunk x skunk and end up with Quatro Skunk. Nope. It's Skunk #597 out of 2000 Chem seeds that yields Skunk, and will smell like rubber or garlic anyway, not the declared end goal of skunk.

More accurately, you'll always find something better in F2 or S1 than what your hand picked mates will provide. Best to grow a million seeds, feed them all well. Pay your kids to find the males. Compost the reject females (or continue to get your hormones from kelp and end up with bud on your leaves) and pay your farm hand in the lower quantities.

Breeders get too much credit for breeding. Every time I hear a Cannabis breeder my eyes start doing backflips. We've all grown seeds from brick weed before and found something good. Or you can pay thousands for a cut of something 'mid' . Same with shrooms. You find something good. You find something hyped. You don't create. I'm looking for a native Texan and the best I can come up with is Texas Gold Cap x Penis Envy x Texas. Things were better when they were grown to potential on scale and naturally selected for functional quality. Human selection resembles politics and comic books. Especially when it comes to cannabis. Modern Cannabis looks like a pharma agenda. Pushing looks until they have no meaning. Then promoting the isolate goops. That's how high thc cannabis is bred, but pharma disinfo and a century old plan to turn cannabis into a pill.

This is what I don't get... 35% of what? Surely a bud is mainly made up of vegetable matter - how can 35% of a bud be thc?

I dunno, how much does a gram of pure thc weigh? More than a gram of trim?

Timj

I have to say, I enjoy some strains like auto purple from pyramid seeds. It's a unique high. With a hard to define smell. It has a THC level of 13%. So does the real value of our high come from THC alone or the entourage effect of all the other compounds in our bud.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I have always felt like marijuana is like a cake recipe. Add the right ingredients in the right quantities and you end up with a wonderful and delicious chocolate cake.

Adding an extra 22 cups of sugar to the recipe does NOT make it better. LOL And, IMO, it makes it worse.

That's what 35% THC pot is to me. 22 cups of extra sugar.

Or, maybe a wonderful California Chardonnay from the Carneros Region of the Napa Valley.... aged and cured to perfection with a wonderful buttery taste with a nutty aftertaste.

OK, let's make it way better by adding grain alcohol to take it from 14% ABV to 80% ABV. Oh yeah.... way better now. LOL

Unfortunately, the consumer who simply doesn't know any better perpetuates this type of marketing.

If you just want to get shitfaced drunk and throw up.... enjoy your high THC pot from the dispensaries. Want to enjoy a wonderful and tasty glass of wine.... grow your own. LOL

JMO Your mileage may vary.

Latest posts

Latest posts