What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How are dispensary growers paid?

M

meowmeowmeow

$13-15 as a grower, manual labor :(

Bingo......exactly what I am paid as an elf in big MMJ.

Lots of manual labor as previously stated.

It seems like the service industry to me with many people jumping ship looking for the next best thing. One advantage of my current employer is moving up quicker than most places due to high turn over, but it's very 'clicky' .

:tiphat:

Red Bear

Pretty cool

Pretty cool

Pretty cool this thread is finally getting input.
I sold my warehouse to the dispensary. And downsized for 5 legit patients. I make more as a private caregiver than I would've at the warehouse for the dispensary. I work less and have less stress.
It's really sad to have watched the rich idiots take all the profit away from the original people who paved the way, not even a respectful job offer for those of us doing this caregiver thing before the state and all the investors and shit happened in 2009

seebass1000

Pretty cool this thread is finally getting input.
I sold my warehouse to the dispensary. And downsized for 5 legit patients. I make more as a private caregiver than I would've at the warehouse for the dispensary. I work less and have less stress.
It's really sad to have watched the rich idiots take all the profit away from the original people who paved the way, not even a respectful job offer for those of us doing this caregiver thing before the state and all the investors and shit happened in 2009

As ol Mr Lahey would say its a tough shit pill too swallow BoBandy... but feel grateful you had the opportunity that you have had..Out here in NM we got fucked all the way .. big producers from the past were all broken up and sent up river while the people who run the state (Reps) have invested in the same commodity they persecuted those before them for. Even stoopin as low as stealing genetics ie. seeds..... and now with these for-profit dispensaries who is really looking out for the patient

X

xavier7995

Anyone happen to have any good resources/references for going legal? The colorado.gov website leaves me with questions...but not questions that have enough of a burning desire to be answered that would prompt me to pay for a lawyer.

Edit: the particular area of interest just being a legal grow that can be sold to whatever dispensary.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Think you might just lawyer up if that's your plan.

Or ask your questions & see what gets answered.

X

xavier7995

Yeah, it will definitely wind up in a lawyers lap...might as well start it off there. Mostly just looking for some details on costs and regulations that would need to be met to do a small sized 1 man grow, trying to figure out if it is economically feasible and what level of production would be needed.

It's a half-hearted information search in the early stages.

hellfire

A small one man grow isn't really economically feasible at all for the legal market. The price of a license or a MIPS alone isn't worth it to be a one man operation.

Also I don't think one person can hold badges for ALL aspects of the grow/trimming/processing/etc.

X

xavier7995

That's sort of the conclusion I am coming to as well, and have previously arrived at. Gonna keep my eyes open though. It's that wild idea that I am not quite ready to give up on. Ideal would be to settle down way up in the mountains and just come down to denver every few months to sell a crop without being tied to any specific dispensary.

M

meowmeowmeow

That's sort of the conclusion I am coming to as well, and have previously arrived at. Gonna keep my eyes open though. It's that wild idea that I am not quite ready to give up on. Ideal would be to settle down way up in the mountains and just come down to denver every few months to sell a crop without being tied to any specific dispensary.

Truly a pipe dream my friend. No joking, but pun intended.

It's really disheartnening, but true.

I see like 30 + licenses hanging on a wall when I leave work everyday and that alone is worth a few million.

Shit I'd love to run a clone store, but I'm short a few million cash if anyone wants to chip in.

I'd say stay within compliance like all of us and enjoy your personal garden. :biggrin:

X

xavier7995

Yeah, in the basement I will stay. Still going to try and figure out some true costs and break even points; am a business nerd and like to do that sort of thing. The millions part is no joke, that's what I have come up with looking at it previously, however that included a retail facility.

Might start trying to come up with some angles that do not require the pricey licenses. Those weed tour buses are frigging genius...from a business standpoint. Be well folks, if anything interesting comes of my poking around will post it up.

Edit: "no joking, but pun intended" is fantastic. Made the morning.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
i hear about hourly grower and trimmer jobs, but I only know one "master grower" I hate that term.... any way he runs over 100 lights with about 10 helpers and makes "over 100 grand a year".
which seems pretty weak for all the running around, like 7 locations...

anyone know what head growers are getting paid?

thats a shitload of work for not very much pay bearing in mind having to keep on top of 7 locations!,,,,,
jeez,,i thought a "master" grower would be up on the qtr mil mark and above with what over a 100 lamps could produce,,,,s2

M

meowmeowmeow

Edit: "no joking, but pun intended" is fantastic. Made the morning.

Mission accomplished :tiphat:

As for the sake of business.....I hate those tour buses, but agree it seems like minimal cost potential with a decent return on investment.

As for the term "Master Grower" .... not too sure on how much they make, but 250k good luck.
This industry is landscaping/lawn care hyped the fuck up BIG TIME and it seems difficult to find that balance between corporate bullshit and what one thinks their services are worth.

Not the first one to say it and won;t be the last time......

There's a lot of competition in this industry and not much money.

Enjoy the day all. :biggrin:

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mission accomplished :tiphat:

As for the sake of business.....I hate those tour buses, but agree it seems like minimal cost potential with a decent return on investment.

As for the term "Master Grower" .... not too sure on how much they make, but 250k good luck.
This industry is landscaping/lawn care hyped the fuck up BIG TIME and it seems difficult to find that balance between corporate bullshit and what one thinks their services are worth.

Not the first one to say it and won;t be the last time......

Right on ,,,,meow
our burmese would like you lol,,,
100k for grows in 7 different locations?....
At least qtr of a mil or i aint getting out of bed plus a % of stock grown,,,,people giving there skills away for anything less imho..s2

dmandam

There is definitely a lot of competition, but there is also a fuckton of money in this industry. The difference is, it is the initial investors or people who run the actual business that make the real money. Sometimes these people are actually the grower, but plenty of other times, it a businessman who has the initial capital to make even more profit and money after.
If you wanna make serious money, you gotta own it. :plant grow:

M

meowmeowmeow

Last time I checked homie not too many millionaires post up on here, but who knows....'shrugs'

And 37 plaques on that wall I counted today.

Red Bear

The 7 locations are all in the same 5mile area few warehouses are next to each other, he kist goes around tellin people what to do, babysitter for 100k a year, close to 200 lights. That dispensary net 5 million last year.

The one I sold my warehouse to just sold for 2million. Cost him 1 million and took 7 years to build, he was a grower started out with 100k...

I'm still looking for that 100k a year babysitter job. It's out there...

Anyway all you guys that want to start a grow, your out of your league now days... all the grows now are 50-200 light rooms. You can't start up with just 100k anymore those were the pioneer days all of 8 years ago.

But anyway to the guy that wants to move to the mountains and drop a crop in Denver, wow it hasn't worked that way since like 2011.

Best of luck to all.

M

meowmeowmeow

This may seem dick-ish, but 200 lights isn't shit.
If I can remember there are around 100+ in every corridor where I work minimum.
I get a tan indoors everyday.

You have to maintain much more for 100k.

It's all in who you know where you are going.............I don't give a shit whatanyone says. I see it everyday.

cryptop

How hard is it to vend to dispensaries, rec specifically? It seems like everyone is vertically integrated..

Also, anyone have input on those places that lease big plots of greenhouse/outdoor space? I'm way too cynical on using a space another grower who probably had a litany of disease/PM/etc problems just used, but definitely curious on anyone's experience with one.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No License...
No vending!

I doubt anybody would rent you a greenhouse unless they saw a license.

M

meowmeowmeow

I agree with MJP.

If you have money coming out ever oriface they will help bottom line.

And CRYPTOP I was in a dispensary here yesterday and the sniffer jar was covered with PM....my buddy spotted it from a mile away.
Fucking budtender knew I think.....it was on the fucking "Top Shelf" too bahahahahaha ...... LaContes on Washington ....

It exists .... not in my garden .... but at work. We are very proactive in IPM.
I hear a lot we have the cleanest grow in town, so me cleaning 90% of the time is OK knowing better products go out the door.
Welcome to Colorado.