What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How about that silver?

buzzmobile

Veteran
hiyo-silver-away.jpg

St. Phatty

1970 small s - very nice penny as pennies go
for the latest hot penny that you could see
1982 d small date, quite rare and desirable - 18,800 at an auction

Do you know if the 1982 small D is the 3.1 gram penny or the 2.5 gram penny ?

From looking online, I guess it's the Copper one. Or that it occurs in both versions, but the copper small D is the rare one.

I save the copper 1982's.

Click image for larger version  Name:	smalld2b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.4 KB ID:	17810707

vanilla dutch

If u have a copper penny from when they were scraped for bullets.that would be a good thing.forget what year. 1940 or something.when pennys were steel.

igrowone

Veteran
Do you know if the 1982 small D is the 3.1 gram penny or the 2.5 gram penny ?

From looking online, I guess it's the Copper one. Or that it occurs in both versions, but the copper small D is the rare one.

I save the copper 1982's.

https://hosteagle.club/filedata/fetch?id=17810707&d=1616335371&__cpo=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuaWNtYWcuY29t

not 2.5 gram, that would be a zincoln
I'll have to recheck what the details are
also some double dies in the 1982 varieties, but that small copper D is the pick of the litter from what I recall
edit - yeah, the 3.1 gram is what you're looking for
I have a bunch of 82s myself, definitely overdue for a checkup

vanilla dutch

Have u noticed its hard to get a quarter from before 1960.i think they took them out of circulaion or too many fem beans being made.lol

St. Phatty

I have a bunch of copper pennies ... in the spare bathroom that became a bird cage.

So ... some of them ... are covered in Organic Bird Castings.

Does that increase their value ? :)

St. Phatty

I really love silver

If you like having a 100 ounce bar at your desk just to look at ... that's a sign that you Really Like Silver.

Love these Asahi bars, though I guess I bought them when they had the Johnson Matthey stamp.

asahi-100-oz-silver-bar.jpg

1000 ounce Penoles bars are great for collecting dust too.

Especially if the dust has Gold in it. :)

Attachments

• asahi-100-oz-silver-bar.jpg
    asahi-100-oz-silver-bar.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 27

ion

the pennies are 1981 and prior for the copper, from what my money guy says. copper the next silver!! save them lil bastards

St. Phatty

the pennies are 1981 and prior for the copper, from what my money guy says. copper the next silver!! save them lil bastards

I think those pennies are made out of Gilding Metal.

95% copper, 5% Zinc.

Same stuff copper bullet jackets are made of.

I would like so see someone mine Copper out of the piles of dirt at shooting ranges.

If I shoot 80 bullets in a typical session, I'm only leaving a few grams of copper per bullet.

Maybe 1/3 pound of copper total.

But ... 100 shooters per day etc., that would be 33 pounds of copper. $5 a pound, $165. per day.

Maybe they have a secret mining operation and they're not telling anybody.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I think those pennies are made out of Gilding Metal.

95% copper, 5% Zinc.

Same stuff copper bullet jackets are made of.

I would like so see someone mine Copper out of the piles of dirt at shooting ranges.

If I shoot 80 bullets in a typical session, I'm only leaving a few grams of copper per bullet.

Maybe 1/3 pound of copper total.

But ... 100 shooters per day etc., that would be 33 pounds of copper. $5 a pound, $165. per day.

Maybe they have a secret mining operation and they're not telling anybody.

Way back when I was ten years old (1962) My friend Jeff and I dug the slugs out from behind the pistol targets. Thirty to forty pounds each was all we could carry per trip.
Doing it just for the fun of melting the lead out and casting shapes made in sandy soil. Amazing how well the sand held its shape against the lead.

But not much copper left behind, those jackets were pretty thin and the full metal jacket .45 slugs were copper coated steel. The best were .38 wadcutters, no jacket and a fairly hard alloy with a clean low temperature melting point. There were some other slugs that seemed to be entirely made of slag.

For a ten year old kid with a coffee can and firewood this was summer days in heaven. Between the two of us we moved several hundred pounds of lead from the range and almost two hundred pounds of plumbing copper from condemned housing on the military base.
Free range children in a 1960's military town, Air Force and Army both. Interesting times I lived through.

St. Phatty

Way back when I was ten years old (1962) My friend Jeff and I dug the slugs out from behind the pistol targets. Thirty to forty pounds each was all we could carry per trip.
Doing it just for the fun of melting the lead out and casting shapes made in sandy soil. Amazing how well the sand held its shape against the lead.

Yeah I realized after I posted, there would be a lot of LEAD.

I have been challenged to melt aluminum recently (in a wildfire management related fire).

So I'm only about 700 degrees away from melting Copper.

Now I know why people use electric kilns. God knows how they melted Steel before there was electricity.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
If you like having a 100 ounce bar at your desk just to look at ... that's a sign that you Really Like Silver.

Love these Asahi bars, though I guess I bought them when they had the Johnson Matthey stamp.

1000 ounce Penoles bars are great for collecting dust too.

Especially if the dust has Gold in it. :)

I quit buying that JM junk when they stopped putting serial numbers on them. The 4 100 oz JM bars I had with SNs were pretty ratty (probably been moved a bunch), and i sold them. I only bought 4x9 bars after that, but even those will be hard to sell for the fear of chinese counterfeits. Coins IMO are the best.

Rumor is the treasury dept is gonna crack down on banks using BTC to launder moolahs (as if everybody didn't know BTC was how moolah was flowing out of china). Down quite a bit today. Should be positive for glod. The dims printing like mad to cover their grift should also.

https://www.kitco.com/bitcoin-price-charts-usd/

St. Phatty

Have you heard the more recent webcasts about "Copper more conductive than Silver" - or vice versa ?

They're both damn conductive, but it's real hard to find "1 ounce" laminate for circuit boards - where the metal is Silver.

I'm waiting for tin cans to fetch 10 cents a pound again.

I got about a ton.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
As the ratio gets more attractive, I don't think it is too late to convert some FRNs to yellow coins. Easier to transport and sell than tin cans. With the printing going on now, people are exchanging dollahs for anything and everything.

Latest posts

Latest posts