What's new

Hovz 600w Medical Perpetual Garden

Hovz

bandonlooper1 - Hey, thanks for stopping in. I've used FF products before on an outdoor grow, and it turned out great.

Today is day 31 flowering for the ten ladies, the small ones have the yellowing leaves the worst, but the others are still suffering. I believe its a nitrogen lockout because of a ph problem, does anyone know the suggested ph for a soil-less medium? I guess you could say i didn't do all my research before this grow, but it's perpetual and I'm finally starting to catch on. I hope i can save this grow and harvest atleast some decent free medicine, i know the genetics are good i just need to grow them right :wallbash: But anywho, if anyone knows what ph i should be adjusting to, that would be verymuch helpful.

hazy

Veteran
Go with coco. You get the ease of soil, and much better results.
You gave the pH of your water, but what is it after you add your nutes?
Mine starts out pretty high, but comes down after I add nutes to 6 or lower. Which i think is ok for soiless. Of course you use peat,so that might lower it even more.

oh yeah, dude, you gotta get your odor control going. It may not stink like nycd but it does smell. You'll get used to it and not notice it in the house and out.
imo~ carbon filter and fan first -before the light.

Hovz

Go with coco. You get the ease of soil, and much better results.
You gave the pH of your water, but what is it after you add your nutes?
Mine starts out pretty high, but comes down after I add nutes to 6 or lower. Which i think is ok for soiless. Of course you use peat,so that might lower it even more.

oh yeah, dude, you gotta get your odor control going. It may not stink like nycd but it does smell. You'll get used to it and not notice it in the house and out.
imo~ carbon filter and fan first -before the light.

When you say coco, do you mean just 100% coco coir in the brick form? Wheres a good place to order it from? I believe the nutes lowers the ph, but i've been giving them the regular tap water every other watering which probably made the ph rise too high and the nitrogen got locked out, i picked up some ph plus and ph minus bottles to get my ph in check. I'm not sure what effect the peat has on the ph, but i would much rather not use peat.

You are right about my odor control, i have some of the parts to make a DIY Filter. I also have a bunch of activated carbon, Its on the top of my list of things to do.

justanotherbozo

Veteran
high man, sorry i haven't been by to check out your grow, i've been busy
in the real world and haven't been on as much as i'd like.

anyway, your plants look great man, very happy and healthy!

btw, if you're still having problems with fan noise you could try something
like this by FreezerBoy, and you should check out his threads, he really
knows his stuff.

Attachments

• 35769DIY_IsoExt.jpg
    35769DIY_IsoExt.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 35769DIY_IsoInt.jpg
    35769DIY_IsoInt.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 12

Hovz

Hey justanotherbozo thanks for dropping by, I never thought about putting the fan in a cooler. How do i cut the holes in the sides? I will checkout freezer boys threads and yours aswell thanks for the reply.

justanotherbozo

Veteran
Hey justanotherbozo thanks for dropping by, I never thought about putting the fan in a cooler. How do i cut the holes in the sides? I will checkout freezer boys threads and yours aswell thanks for the reply.

you're welcome man and FreezerBoy is the guy to ask regarding that cooler,
although i'd imagine you'd just use a hole saw to cut the holes, lol.

...and you'll like FreezerBoy's threads, he's a pretty cool cat, has a nice easy
going way, and he's a gifted grower too, lol.

chris1985

just found this thread and i like what i have been reading can i just ask what would be the benefit of adding the other 400W light to this grow while in flower as obviously the 400 + 600 wouldnt equate to 1000W as it only ever goes to the highest W light so surely it would just still be the same as the 600W but pulling 1000W from your main or have i got this wrong????

As i said nice work mate!

Hovz

just found this thread and i like what i have been reading can i just ask what would be the benefit of adding the other 400W light to this grow while in flower as obviously the 400 + 600 wouldnt equate to 1000W as it only ever goes to the highest W light so surely it would just still be the same as the 600W but pulling 1000W from your main or have i got this wrong????

As i said nice work mate!

Hey chris1985, the benefit of me adding the 400 watt would be more lumens in my grow space, and it would allow me to space my plants out, which would also make it easier to water them. My plants are somewhat crammed together under the light, I don't plan on adding any more wattage at the moment though. Thanks for stoppin in.

H

HippyJohnny

Hey Hovz,
Dropping in to see what you are up to.
Looks good. Do you have a PH meter?
I would stick to 6.0

Just my:2cents:

I cant wait to see how it turns out.

Peace :joint:

Hovz

Hey Hovz,
Dropping in to see what you are up to.
Looks good. Do you have a PH meter?
I would stick to 6.0

Just my:2cents:

I cant wait to see how it turns out.

Hey there Hippyjohnny, i indeed do have a ph/tds combo meter but the tds part doesn't work so well. Stupid $200.00 peice of junk. Thanks for dropping in and the kind words.
Does anyone know if these things come pre calibrated or do i have to do it. Ill post a picture of the meter if that will help.
picture.php

Okay so today is day 33 flowering and the plants are defiantly getting smelly, plants are very sticky to the touch, still mostly white hairs, but a couple lower branches starting to get amber. I have a couple that are perfect and show no nutrient lockout, but some others defiantly are suffering. I think i mixed in some garden lime in my first few pots and then kinda got high and wondered off and cameback forgetting about the the lime and sabotaging my grow from the start. I used garden lime in a blue box, i dont believe its pulverized, maybe pellets. I'll get some pics up before the light turns off, but i need help figuring out my ph. I bought some ph plus and ph minus for water. Its for like swimming pools, can i use this stuff? The Ph minus contains : Sulfuric Acid 10% Other Ingredients 90% and the Ph plus is 100% sodium carbonate. I don't know whether i should just add some garden lime to the top of the soil of the effected plants, or if i should water with ph adjusted nutes to try to balance out whatever the ph in the soil is. How do i findout without making the problem worse what the ph of the soil is?

Last edited:

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
These are defiantely not pre calibrated, they should have come with some solutions for calibrations

I would never use pelletized lime. You may have roots resting on some pellets, and essentially breaking them down.

Now for your water..I dont think after everything you did. That you have your water still at 8.2.. I would think that your meter is not calibrated. 8.2 is pretty high. Mine normally out of the tap is 7.5. I add enough to get my 55 gallon res to about 5.9/ 6.1. Then with the additives, nutes, and a day or cycling through the pump, it is normally still around 5.9 to 6.1.

Since you have pellets of lime in your soil, I would say not to worry about teh ph of your water, and just give them a higher ph water, that will hopefully get them down to a ph that will not promote a severe nute lock out

Good luck

Hovz

These are defiantely not pre calibrated, they should have come with some solutions for calibrations

I would never use pelletized lime. You may have roots resting on some pellets, and essentially breaking them down.

Now for your water..I dont think after everything you did. That you have your water still at 8.2.. I would think that your meter is not calibrated. 8.2 is pretty high. Mine normally out of the tap is 7.5. I add enough to get my 55 gallon res to about 5.9/ 6.1. Then with the additives, nutes, and a day or cycling through the pump, it is normally still around 5.9 to 6.1.

Since you have pellets of lime in your soil, I would say not to worry about teh ph of your water, and just give them a higher ph water, that will hopefully get them down to a ph that will not promote a severe nute lock out

Good luck

Yes i believe i've found the calibration fluid for the meter, now i gotta find the paper that tells me how to do it :wallbash: Yes i've read not to use pelletized lime, but i don't know why i did, it was a foolish mistake. I only put lime in a couple of them, and i can't even remember which ones :wallbash: I'm just going to calibrate the meter, and go from there. It's like a ph nightmare. Thanks for stopping in dr dog, its not all bad i still have some healthy plants, and all the buds are looking very sticky, if i figure this out soon i can still pull a good harvest. I also hooked up another 400 watt because i'm indecisive so this is now a 1,000 watt garden.

Hovz

Was waiting for pictures to upload so i rolled up a joint, here's my favorite plant, no yellowing leaves and a few good sized top buds.
picture.php

Heres a picture of the canopy under the 600w hps
picture.php

another
picture.php

I'll post more pics, i just gotta upload them first. I still gotta calibrate my meter and fix my ph problem today as well. I've seen people use these meters continuously, with success on this website. I hope i can get it calibrated correctly the ph problem is really frustrating, i hate to cause them any kind of stress during flowering. I'll post more pics once they're uploaded.

Hovz

Here is a view of the three small plants i put under the 400 watt hps
picture.php

Some "macro" shots
picture.php

picture.php

Ill update in a couple days, hopefully i'll have this ph nightmare figured out.

H

HippyJohnny

Hovz dont sweat it bro, they dont look like they are on deaths door. I think I'm with the Doc on this one just go with the water and see what the plants say :smile:

chris1985

again nice lookin plants mate, so can i just ask sorry have you moved some of your plants so that you have 3 under the 400W and the rest under the 600 or have you put the 400 in the same grow area and now you have a 400W and a 600W HPS in the same area, the only reason i am asking is i might try this as well in the same area a 600 and also a 400 as i have got 12 plants not all the same size so not an even canopy and they are under a 600 at the min in a tent which if i remember right is 1.5x1.5x2m

Hovz

Hovz dont sweat it bro, they dont look like they are on deaths door. I think I'm with the Doc on this one just go with the water and see what the plants say :smile:

Yeah i believe you're right, i will probably just keep doing wat i'm doin and next round i will be ready to combat the ph problems. I'm thinking bout switching to Coco and using Rez's "recipe"

Chris1985 - Yes i moved my three plants in smaller containers under the 400w in the same growing area because the ones in the small pots were shorter and not getting any direct light. My flowering room is 8'x8'x8' framed up with 2x4's and white panda poly stapled to the walls and roof. My actual growing space is more like 4'x8'x8', which is half of my room cut down the middle, i built a plywood platform to rise to plants above the cold concrete, i used a sheet of plywood and (2) 8' long 2x6's on the longer sides of the sheet of plywood to lift it up 6" off the ground. So far everything is going pretty well, ill check the temps of how hot it got with all 1000 watts in there last night. I hope this answers your question?

hazy

Veteran
Yeah, I was talking about plain coco. Actually, i've cut my coco with half perlite these days, I think it holds a little more oxygen. As soon as my nutes run out, i'll be switching to gh flora bloom and micro using gratefulheads modified lucas formula.
I first got the botanicaire 5k coco block/bale, then the loose because the store was out of the bales. Both are great.

Hovz

Yeah, I was talking about plain coco. Actually, i've cut my coco with half perlite these days, I think it holds a little more oxygen. As soon as my nutes run out, i'll be switching to gh flora bloom and micro using gratefulheads modified lucas formula.
I first got the botanicaire 5k coco block/bale, then the loose because the store was out of the bales. Both are great.

Do you use the big chunky perlite? I want to try coco, but i would have to order it online. I havn't decided which formula i want to try next, but i might try rez's recipe. I'll update the grow in a couple days here. Today is day 36 flowering.