What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

House & Garden Nutrients

Biatchzxz

Where am I?
Veteran
Cash cropping? Smfp! Not all of us are in it for the money. To each his/her own simple as that I never said. H&G is the only way to go and the only company to use. I myself have many methods and things I use beside them and. If you read up about drip clean bud you would realize what it's actually used for

Drip Clean

Administered at every feeding, Drip Clean helps to remove salt particles and dirt from the root structure, hoses, and medium of any garden. Drip Clean is compatible with all mediums and solutions. Drip Clean is safe for any plant and can be used with tap or filtered water.* As an added benefit, House & Garden’s proprietary blend helps to reduce flush times at the*end of every harvest.

Ingredients Explained: Salt build up can cause nutrient lock out, negatively affecting plant growth.*Drip Clean works to give your plants and medium a clean slate. House & Garden maintains their own nutrient manufacturing facility as well as their own laboratories where they continually test each batch of fertilizer they produce.*This ensures that gardeners employing House & Garden receive high quality, consistent products.

But also You just want to be cautious applying when salts have possibly built up in medium. Adding Drip Clean will release excess trapped nutrients in the medium and possibly burn the plant. We suggest introducing Drip Clean slowly to avoid nutrient burn if adding later in cycle.

Cartel530

Veteran
well i think i might have seen your problem.

you said you added lime..
"ph didnotshift much in the plants because i added dolomitic lime to stabilize ph"

well right on their site it specifically states it is to NOT be used with soil containing lime..

here is The very first sentence when you click the soil a/b...

"House & Garden’s Soil A&B is a two part base nutrient specifically created for soil gardens that do not contain lime."

and again in the next paragraph:

"Ingredients Explained: Soil A&B contains calcium and is intended for soil gardens that do not contain lime. The special formulation helps to keep the nutrient solution fresh and pure"

so uhhh you probably quit using the lime and fully understand the product before you come on a site and diss the product especially when you look up house and garden and there is a link to this thread and they ready some bull shit like that and go buy AN or something. come on now bro

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
ive talked with the guys at H&G and ive read the faq's...they say that the lime shouldnt be a problem, the reason why they say not to use ferts with lime is because lime breaks down over time and releases calcium and Mg to the soil...but when growing indoors the lime doesnt have a chance to break down by the time the grow is over...so thats not an issue

...besides, they are not the only company that use calcium and magnesium in theyre nutes

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Just out of curiosity, name me one professional greenhouse operation that uses H&G.

Fuck, not even H%G claims that drip clean would work for what you guys are claiming. It is designed to clean out drip lines...a task accomplished by lowering pH to 5.2.

It is one thing for guys growing a few plants for themselves to buy into this shit. But cash croppers...Jesus fuckin christ. Take a class.

really? i would read a bit before saying that...
http://www.house-garden.us/products/additives/drip-clean/

Biatchzxz

Where am I?
Veteran
Hells yeah. Thank You !!!!

Cartel - good point dude Def true and says it on the site. And I'm sure depending on the amount of lime amended could cause an issue. But like Joe said. They def did say it shouldn't be an issue using it with like amended soil.

Joe - yeah I also read that they said that to. Shot I've read every single FAQ and comments people left on there to gain as much info from other people's experiences hey man it could be many things. truthfully in your case I think if you were to use aqua flakes you wouldn't have the issues. I got em all and tested out all 3. And when using soil/xoxo mix let's say I got better results with the aqua. When using straight coco. The coco ab.

Whether it means anything to you or not I just really want to help is all you know

krunchbubble

Veteran
ive talked with the guys at H&G and ive read the faq's...they say that the lime shouldnt be a problem, the reason why they say not to use ferts with lime is because lime breaks down over time and releases calcium and Mg to the soil...but when growing indoors the lime doesnt have a chance to break down by the time the grow is over...so thats not an issue

...besides, they are not the only company that use calcium and magnesium in theyre nutes

i would talk to the H@G guys is Europe and NOT in the US.....

they are a world apart in knowledge.....

whit the info about the lime in the soil, im pretty certain hat is the culprit...

your the ONLY person who has reported problems and EVERYONE else gives the highest praises....

i truly hope you see the full potential of H@G....

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
well im 100% sure its not the lime....ALL my pots have lime....so why only the 25 that were being fed every watering the only ones affected by salt build up? and EC of 4 is toxic, which i had in the affected plants

krunchbubble

Veteran
well im 100% sure its not the lime....ALL my pots have lime....so why only the 25 that were being fed every watering the only ones affected by salt build up? and EC of 4 is toxic, which i had in the affected plants

well i think i might have seen your problem.

you said you added lime..
"ph didnotshift much in the plants because i added dolomitic lime to stabilize ph"

well right on their site it specifically states it is to NOT be used with soil containing lime..

here is The very first sentence when you click the soil a/b...

"House & Garden’s Soil A&B is a two part base nutrient specifically created for soil gardens that do not contain lime."

and again in the next paragraph:

"Ingredients Explained: Soil A&B contains calcium and is intended for soil gardens that do not contain lime. The special formulation helps to keep the nutrient solution fresh and pure"

so uhhh you probably quit using the lime and fully understand the product before you come on a site and diss the product especially when you look up house and garden and there is a link to this thread and they ready some bull shit like that and go buy AN or something. come on now bro

there IS your answer, but you wont accept it....

i don't understand why you keep coming into H@G threads and bash the nutrients when its VERY CLEAR that there was something wrong with either your soil mix or the way you used H@G....

YOUR THE ONLY PERSON WHO HAS HAD PROBLEMS.....

if one person out of dozens, if not hundreds or people say it didn't work for them, i would tend to think that one person messed up somehow...

westfalia

>PH your water (If you even need to).most of the time I get it *Pretty on point when I mix >the 2 up right. *I get a range of 5.5.-5.9 (distilled). *And like 6.2-6.5 (Tap). * *That's my >experience. *Every got different water n shit

>Then you would add any additives after that. *And your done

WRONG!! The LAST thing I check is PH. Definitely NOT before additives. When I see something so fundamentally wrong, I question the integrity of the entire recipe.

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
maxibloom - npk 5-15-14 6% calcium - 2% magnesium

H&G soil - npk- 3.3-1.1-5.9 (calcium not listed) o.5% magnesium

....no i seriously doubt H&G has more calcium in it than maxibloom....considering the npk ratio(calcium is not listed)

ive been growing in soil a very very longtime, and have never encountered a fert that said to feed every watering at those rates...i though i would try..a mistake on my part to think it was even possible...

not trying to be rude,but i think it is you guys that are in denile, ALL my pots have the same soil ....ALL of them.

25 pots that were fed every watering have a nute burn/salt build up, they are showing major P def with purple stripes and the start of a mag def.

25 pots affected out of 100...all with same mixture, mixed evenly(trust me im 100% sure it was mixed evenly)

so why only 25 pots affected with an EC runoff of over 4EC? the only diff between them and the rest is they were fed EVERY watering...

so as to my experience and test performed, i am 100% sure of this, while some of you may be listening to other ppl and reading up on other ppls posts, i am going through it right now, so i speak out of experience, not theory

krunchbubble

Veteran
maxibloom - npk 5-15-14 6% calcium - 2% magnesium

H&G soil - npk- 3.3-1.1-5.9 (calcium not listed) o.5% magnesium

....no i seriously doubt H&G has more calcium in it than maxibloom....considering the npk ratio(calcium is not listed)

ive been growing in soil a very very longtime, and have never encountered a fert that said to feed every watering at those rates...i though i would try..a mistake on my part to think it was even possible...

not trying to be rude,but i think it is you guys that are in denile, ALL my pots have the same soil ....ALL of them.

25 pots that were fed every watering have a nute burn/salt build up, they are showing major P def with purple stripes and the start of a mag def.

25 pots affected out of 100...all with same mixture, mixed evenly(trust me im 100% sure it was mixed evenly)

so why only 25 pots affected with an EC runoff of over 4EC? the only diff between them and the rest is they were fed EVERY watering...

so as to my experience and test performed, i am 100% sure of this, while some of you may be listening to other ppl and reading up on other ppls posts, i am going through it right now, so i speak out of experience, not theory

i do find it odd that it is recommended to "feed" every watering in soil...

not 100% sure, but im going to assume that feeding schedule has changed or been modified...

when H@G came over from Europe, they had many problems with the nutrient schedule's over here in the USA. many things have been changed already.

i would email or call the Eurpoean H@G and explain what happened...

willing to BET that they have the answers for you....

krunchbubble

Veteran
>PH your water (If you even need to).most of the time I get it *Pretty on point when I mix >the 2 up right. *I get a range of 5.5.-5.9 (distilled). *And like 6.2-6.5 (Tap). * *That's my >experience. *Every got different water n shit

WRONG!! The LAST thing I check is PH. Definitely NOT before additives. When I see something so fundamentally wrong, I question the integrity of the entire recipe.

there IS a reason that it is done this way.....

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
i do find it odd that it is recommended to "feed" every watering in soil...

not 100% sure, but im going to assume that feeding schedule has changed or been modified...

when H@G came over from Europe, they had many problems with the nutrient schedule's over here in the USA. many things have been changed already.

i would email or call the Eurpoean H@G and explain what happened...

willing to BET that they have the answers for you....

you got an email for me?

ive sent 5 emails to H&G canada and its been over a month still no response....sent 3 to H&G usa and got a response 2 weeks later only from ROB @ H&G when emailed directly to his email(found his email address on this site) and he said to feed every watering...

so far in general i have had very bad customer service from H&G compared to AN...thats right,lol...so far imo AN has the best customer service, i even sent in pics of my affected plants before and they told me where the prob was....really good customer service....but that about it

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
this is the emails i got from rob @ H&G

~ Just to let you know, we are House and Garden in the US. I can answer your question but have nothing to do with Canadian representation. I'll forward your email to the Canadian rep to let them know.

To answer your question, House and Garden does not have salt build up which is a main reason for the possibility to feed every time. You should know that all charts are a suggestion and do not always work for every situation and may need to be refined. There are many variables that may change your feeding schedule. In cases with excessive salt build up you usually have to feed water feed. This is due to the salts releasing more trapped nutrients and the need to keep salts at low levels. If you feed every time and you see excessive food buildup then lower the level of food with every watering or consider a flush. If the plant can be offered fresh food with every watering then that would be a better option for plant health. I think dividing the feed dose is a pretty good idea if you feel your going to overfeed your plants with full strength. Just to let you know that some gardeners have starved their plants with feed water feed water. It just depends on how well the plants are absorbing the food and what products you use to enhance the food uptake, not to mention PH, temp, disease, weak genetics, strong genetics and CO2.

Please continue to try to contact Canadian reps for proper representation in your area. They have their ph# on the website, you should be able to reach them.

Peace! Rob
~ I do have to admit that our US chart has lead to many successful gardens for the most part. I have learned that systems that have roots submerged in water 24hrs a day have lower feeding requirements due to the constant food available. We are starting to take more notes to check for better EC ranges to accommidate different types of systems. For example Recirculating Deep Water Culture and Bubble Ponics seem to use around 1/2 strength due to the constant feed. Systems that have the ability to store food in the medium also have to start aggressive then back off as food gets built up and stored in the medium. As time goes on we hope to offer different schedules that will help the gardeners with there way of growing.

Peace! Rob
now im no scientist, and im not a hydro guy....but this statement seems very contradictory to what i know, if the medium has the ability to store nutes it should be fed a little less so they dont accumulate salts....i see hydro guys all the time at crazy high EC but i would never think of it in soil....would be a garanteed burn

i do understand that feeding at every feeding rather than every few waterings is better for the plants in general, but not anywhere near theyre schedule recomended rates...the feed schedules look like they are more for hydro

krunchbubble

Veteran
this is the emails i got from rob @ H&G

now im no scientist, and im not a hydro guy....but this statement seems very contradictory to what i know, if the medium has the ability to store nutes it should be fed a little less so they dont accumulate salts....i see hydro guys all the time at crazy high EC but i would never think of it in soil....would be a garanteed burn

i do understand that feeding at every feeding rather than every few waterings is better for the plants in general, but not anywhere near theyre schedule recomended rates...the feed schedules look like they are more for hydro

i had a HUGE battle between the US and European H@G guys and concluded that the US guys and completely full of shit, but this was a few years ago....

this was a response to asking what exactly drip clean is made from, this is the from the US rep.....

"Drip clean is a product that attaches to the salt molecule and stops it from attaching to the medium. Used at 0.4ml per gallon your adding the least amount of salt remover. It does a better job than any other on the market never letting salts get in your drip emitters or flavor your vegetables
Hope this answers some questions and email anytime.
Thanks for choosing www.house-garden.us!"

what a dick, straight read from the pamphlet.....

talk to these people....
http://ukhouseandgarden.co.uk/index.asp

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
thx sent them an email hopefully they will respond...in the meantime i found this on the uk site....

Application

House & Garden A and B soil feed provides your plants with all the essential minerals needed to produce large crops with superior aromas and flavours.

Consisting of two parts, an A and a B formula, all House & Garden base nutrients are manufactured using the highest grade mineral compounds. When preparing your nutrient container, fill it two thirds with water. First add part A of the nutrient and circulate well before adding part B of the nutrient. Start off in the growth cycle with an EC 1.2, increase following the grow schedule until the end of bloom and finish with an EC of around 2.0. Add any root growth stimulators or flowering stimulators at this point then top up the container to the desired level. Adjust the pH value to harmonise with the nutrient solution.

interesting how they say to fill the res 2/3 full, mix base nutes to desired level, then add additives then fill to top...

so example 150 liter tank....fill it 100L, mix in nutes for 150 liters in 100L of water, then mix additives for 100L of water, then fill up to top??

and on their site they still say nothing about feeding every watering in soil...the only way i see this accomplished is with a very low EC or with drippers so the plants only get the water they drink with no extra to build up....

Biatchzxz

Where am I?
Veteran
Truth is. You have to watch your plants and be Able to spot issues before they happen no matter what the company directions are. That's a rule of thumb with any nutrient company This why they say also to ease in to the regimen and start off slowly to see the reaction they get. No matter what directions day I always try to under dose just in case and go from there. that's from my experience.

krunchbubble

Veteran
thx sent them an email hopefully they will respond...in the meantime i found this on the uk site....

interesting how they say to fill the res 2/3 full, mix base nutes to desired level, then add additives then fill to top...

so example 150 liter tank....fill it 100L, mix in nutes for 150 liters in 100L of water, then mix additives for 100L of water, then fill up to top??

and on their site they still say nothing about feeding every watering in soil...the only way i see this accomplished is with a very low EC or with drippers so the plants only get the water they drink with no extra to build up....

that is EXACTLY how i ran H@G....

Biatchzxz

Where am I?
Veteran

Wrong huh buddy! Umm actually no I am not wrong. That exactly hoe it is supposed to be done. With H&G 100% correct. So I would check your facts before you come in here and say im wrong. Maybe you should of asked WHY? Your supposed to do that instead of questioning any integrity. Or just keep doing whatever works for you. No one is telling you to do it that way. But there is a real reason behind this method and you should find out why maybe it will open your mind up a little