Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Char char! Excellent name for a pet.

Has more of a ring to it than bio-char :smoke:

Whats in the bucket?

Neo 420

Veteran
How did I miss this?? Pure utter sweetness dude!!! Can't wait to tee see what this pile of shit produces!! :)

G

greenmatter

dead fish for free ...... must be nice!

have you thought about making your own hydrolysate ?

Coba

Veteran
I've kicked it around a few times GM... nothing for sure yet... I'll probably try it though... got any good recipes?

here's one I found @ GardenWeb.com
Posted by marionsansing on
Mon, Nov 8, 10 at 15:05

Gojo's DIY 'CEDHF':
(Cold Enzymatically Digested Hydrolyzed Fish)

1. Weigh out equal amounts (1:1) of bycatch or edible whole fish to distilled water.
2. Either dice and mince the fish or put it through a food processor, or a strong blender like a vita-mixer. You need to throughly process the fish into small pieces.
3. Preheat an oven to 122 degrees F (50 degrees C)
4. Lay the fish onto a baking tray, and try not to layer the fish if you can help it. Place the tray into the oven and bake the fish for 0.5-2 minutes, depending upon the quantity and size of fish chunks.[4][5]
* It is possible to use a microwave instead of the oven, I can provide info if there is interest.

* Heating inactivates the endogenous enzymes (and microbes) which are on and in the fish. I want to control what enzymes and microbes are present.

* This step could be skipped and the 'endogenous enzyme activity [of the fish] alone'[6] can digest most of the fish. But I don't want unknown enzymes and microbes in the finished hydrolyzed fish so that's why I heat it.
5. Cover the fish and let it cool. Then and add the fish, along with the distilled water into a strong blender like a vita-mixer and liquefy (5-10 minutes).
6. Adjust the resulting 'fluid' to a ph of 5 using phosphoric acid (aka 'ph down'[7])
* Because I am using a cold enzyme digestion process the ph needs to be low to prevent the gurry from putrefying[2].
* From what I've been able to glean a ph of 4.5 is optimal to prevent putrefaction of gurry. But, a ph of 5 is optimal for papain enzyme action[8][9]. So, I chose a ph of 5 as this will speed the papain's digestion of the fish which will of course shorten the digestion time and reduce the chance (time wise) of the gurry putrefying.
* Use of phosphoric acid is suggested when horticulture is the intended target and phosphoric acid acts as a stabilizer for the gurry[2].
* Use the blender to fully mix the phosphoric acid when testing the ph.
7. Add papain to gurry with an enzyme to fish (not gurry) ratio of 700-1,000 U to a gram of fish[5]
* 'Papain'[10] and 'Alcalase'[11] are the two best known enzymes for digesting fish[5][6] and Alcalase will digest up to 95% of the fish[6]. But, Alcalase prefers a ph of 7-9[11] and it is expensive and hard to find. However, Papain also digests a large quantity of fish[6], but it's ideal ph is 5 and it is inexpensive and easy to find[12].
* So, you will want to add about 1,000 U of papain per gram of fish product (not gurry). Each pill of 'Natural Brand™ Papaya Enzyme'[12] conatins 60,000 U of papain. I'll leave the math up the person making hydrolyzed fish following my directions...
* Buy a pill splitter[13] (about $5.00) and you can split the papain pill into 4 or 6 pieces for greater accuracy. Though, it's better have too much enzyme than not enough.
* Grind the papain pill/s into a fine powder, this will help disperse the papain throughout the fluid. I use a mortar and pestle[14] to pulverize my pills, you can get these at a pharmacy for around $10.00.
* Use the blender to fully mix the papain with the fish liquid.
* A 'U' is a 'USP unit'[15], which is also synonymous with 'IU' (international unit) [16].
8. Place the gurry in cool location (ala refrigerator) between 35 and 38 degrees F (1.7 to 3.3 degrees C) for 4-6 weeks.
9. Filter finished gurry through 100-400 micron screen. The Kis compost tea bag[17] is 400 micron and may work very well, and it's only $10.00.
10. Use the 'CEDHF' lol
* Check the ph, I bet it will be around 5-6, lower is better I would assume but I have no data on that...I'm still just feeling my way around...

on a different note... I just found out last night about a "crab fishery" (whatever it's called) about 20 miles southwest of me, that has no problem giving away the blue crab scrap it dumps into the river. the fish comes from a place that just dumps their left over carcasses in the river... I'm stoked about that because... what I've been seriously kicking around is... I want to turn pro with my compost.

and keeping this stuff out of our local ICW eco-system would make a great marketing strategy.

I did some math...
one 4x4x4 frame will yield approx. 32 cuft of compost... ( 64 cuft reduced by 50%) and, if the guys up in Maine and the guys in Malibu are charging $20 a cuft for their compost. that's like $640 a frame. I can easily build 6-8 of them, enough to get me started... It could seriously supplement my income. (if I can get it off the ground... literally ) $640 x 8 every 2- 3 months... that's $20-30 G's a year off of garbage. ( give or take a few failed attempts )

crab, fish, hen and dairy cow manure(s), alfalfa, hard wood saw dust ( i have a contact who's a tree surgeon = free wood chips) then, when I decide to be really cool... I could start growing Chamomile, Dandelion and Valerian on my property for my own homegrown BD preparations 502-507... ( already have the Yarrow and Nettle)

there's nothing like it here... no competition... what my dad would call a "blue ocean" theory business... I'm sure I could corner the market somewhat around here... well, at least the Sunday Farmer's Market... or, I could have a metric shit ton of compost that won't move... either way, it'll be fun:)

D

dogfishheadie

great thread! throw in a big worm bed / 100 gal smart pot for fresh, quality EWC and add to your bottom line. i'd do that alllll dayyyy loooong

Coba, I've recently acquired 3 or 4 yards of hardwood sawdust...have you used it in a compost pile before?
I'm concerned about long breakdown times. I'm planning on a massive worm operation think about the extra $$$$ there at $30 a cu. ft.

B

bajangreen

I wanna put my mix up here for comparison. I call it a hot batch too because it burns your eyes when mixing it up, i use my hands to mix, in gloves of course, it takes a while to get the sent off your hands if you don't use good gloves.

I use the following thoroughly mixed.........the fish and sea sand should have in enough moisture for over all. The different moisture levels helps with the mixing.

1/2 bucket of fish(the saw dust from cutting up big fish)
1 bucket of chick manure/bagas(sugarcane byproduct excellent stuff)
1 bucket of screened top soil
1/2 bucket of sea sand
2 pounds of oat/barley meal

That is the "hot mix" you have to take this to the spot within 8 hours (or creepers) and mix with 1 bag pierlite 2 bales peat moss, and 1 pound crush limestone/ag lime. and top soil from your spot, fills 4 burlap pots with 33in diameter.

You can plant any thing over seedling stage directly in this mix, the plants would not die but you don't see growth till 2+ weeks

Attachments

• IMG-20130403-00876.jpg
    IMG-20130403-00876.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG-20130403-00877.jpg
    IMG-20130403-00877.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG-20130405-00908.jpg
    IMG-20130405-00908.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 18

Coba

Veteran
Coba, I've recently acquired 3 or 4 yards of hardwood sawdust...have you used it in a compost pile before?
I'm concerned about long breakdown times. I'm planning on a massive worm operation think about the extra $$$$ there at $30 a cu. ft.

haven't yet RD... I would imagine the sawdust would breakdown just fine... anything bigger than sawdust may take longer.

better worm management is the next project. my baby worms now can slip right out of their present home (small enough to fit through the drilled holes)... I've been re-upping worm populations every 6-8 months... but, a large smart pot is deffi in their future... so I can keep those little f'ers in there.

Coba

Veteran
Rancho, you're a genius.

I really like this idea. I could feed the worms the compost. and I wouldn't need as many frames... brilliant.

Yeah man...I'm on the same road. I'm planning on building 4 worm bins in my garage. 18"H x 24"W x12'L.
During the winter I'm thinking I could wrap some heat tape (hopefully I can find some rated for outdoor use) around a piece of PVC, buried in the middle of the bin. Heat tape is used on pipes in shitty old trailers to keep the water from freezing, in case you're not familiar w/ it. It would be even better if I can use solar power to do this. On really cold nights I can fire up the woodstove. Figure it ain't worth the risk of burning my garage down for the worms, so I don't want to run the woodstove all the time.

al-k-mist

^^^ hey rancho, if u have access to hot h2o in the garage, u can run hose thru the bottom of ur worm bins, in a zig zag pattern, and then run hot or warn h2o thru it every so often!!!
heres a hint
place called joanns fabric, as long as you get all the same color, you get half off of 1 item, that item being 72" craft felt. ends up being 2.50 a yard. 4 yards per pot, these big ones
gonna make a worm smartie with scraps

Attachments

• 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 14
Al-K, Hey man, I just bought all the materials to make a 4x8 foot bed about 14" high. 2x4's, landscape fabric, and some chicken wire. At the bottom of the bed I'll place 5 or 6 one inch diameter PVC w/ holes drilled in it for added aeration and so I don't fuck up the landscape fabric, when it comes time to remove the soil. 3'x5' roll of landscape fabric was 10 bucks...a little cheaper than the felt.

Coba

Veteran
picture.php

My pile is starting to look a little reduced...

when I moved my worm bin away from the pile...
picture.php

I found some good stuff looks like...
picture.php

then, I found this fat worm cruising around at the top of the pile...
picture.php

so I broke her down to see what was going on.
picture.php

Coba

Veteran
WARNING: Raw images of death and decay.

WARNING: Raw images of death and decay.

Everything looked like this...
picture.php

except for these...
picture.php

and this mess of fungus ( i think ) tearing up whats left of a fish carcass...
picture.php

added in some minerals and some char-char...
picture.php

picture.php

then, I put it all back together...

Coba

Veteran
I can't just end this update with all that decay... so, here's something nice.
picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts