What's new

Home Box vs Secret Jardin Darkroom

Mr_Micro

Hmm... all these reports of light leaks have me more than a bit worried about the DR40 tent than I have on the way.

I plan to put it in a closet but there is a large space underneath the door to allow for good airflow. Unfortunately though my whole plan for this grow tent is blown if it leaks enough light that you could see it through the gaps on the bottom, top, and sides of the closet door.

So I'm wondering just how severe these light leaks usually are? I'd really hate to have my whole grow plan blown after dropping $500 on equipment because the grow tent isn't as light proof as it claims to be.

Daemon

You should be fine with it in your closet, you just may want to set it up first and then get insisde it and close it up, to see if there are any light leaks. I have one of my tents just sitting out in my room and my girls are 43 days into flower, no problem.

Mr_Micro

Daemon said:
You should be fine with it in your closet, you just may want to set it up first and then get insisde it and close it up, to see if there are any light leaks. I have one of my tents just sitting out in my room and my girls are 43 days into flower, no problem.

Ahh good good... I guess I'll just have to wait and see how it works out, but hopefully it will be light proof enough that the glow from the HPS won't be visible through the space above, below, and on the sides of the closet door that the tent will be behind. :smoke:

skylined

These are supposed to be the best tents out there. Even the good versions leak light? This is contrary to what is claimed on every site....seems like that's rather unacceptable to me at least. Are there any models that actually function as they should?

Peace,
~Skylined

ithruxix

google buy the homebox. That is where you can get them. Personally, they are awesome tents. i have NO idea about sun system etc, all I know is that I talked to the rep @ homebox, and he is real cool. The 4x8 is excellent and the 4x4 fit the botanicare tables.

I would pick a hb over a sj.

swampdank

Pull my finger
Veteran
i think the claim is "virtually lightproof"

either way, im happy with my homebox. im not running to take it down and get anything else. yeah it leaks a little light. but outbound, not inbound.

flaze

abirdintheair said:
just got my homebox xl setup :woohoo: :woohoo: 210 with shipping :joint: testing for light leaks now

what light are you going to put in there? i was thinking a 1k, you think that'll be too hot with a fan?

SirSmokalot

My Zips Be So Fluffy The Whole Town Love Me
Veteran
did any of you people worrying about light leak ever think about just making a roll up cover to hang over the zippers when you dont want access to them. seem like a simple solution. to the exsisting models doesnt it. and as i believe as harry stated above.... the light that does actually leak in is not gonna mess your cycles up. ever hear of moon light and starlight in nature. sensimilia grows outdoors too. i swear

Daemon

^^I do just that. I took some panda plastic and some sticky velcro and made a perfect cover that I leave on all the time(except when working, of course). Works well.

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
theres a second floor that blocks the base zippers, the velco just doesnt line up 100% . im about 90-95% lite proof, 2 pin holes on a edge of velcro, and the zipper issue is the one visible corner. def worth every penny imo, and alot bigger and better than what i expected.

100% lite tight inside though :headbange

Last edited:
isnt darkroom 100% light proof ?
theres a second floor that blocks the base zippers, the velco just doesnt line up 100% . im about 90-95% lite proof, 2 pin holes on a edge of velcro, and the zipper issue is the one visible corner. def worth every penny imo, and alot bigger and better than what i expected.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
i think all tents say they are light proof.

A couple months ago, i was trying to decide between these two tent types, and i kept reading about people complaining about pinhole light leaks, etc.

When i set up my last homebox, i finished zipping it up, and got inside. I waited about 30 seconds for my eyes to adjust, and when i peaked behind the support poles, i could see a lot of stitching pin holes.

But think about that. First of all, the tent has to be stitched up somehow, and that is heavy duty fabric; it's going to take a substantial size needle to get though a few layers of that fabric. Secondly, and most important, I had to wait for my eyes to adjust; inside the tent is still a whole lot darker than any outdoor country night i've ever seen.

I still havent seen a Secret Jardin, but i only assume it's a similar situation.

S

Seismic

After owning both, my vote is for the jardin, I just bought another one too:joint:

Latest posts

Latest posts