What's new

Holy Grail 1.x an introduction

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Thanks, I call it HG 1.x since this will be the third set of beans I have made from the originals and they all look alike. There was one interesting cross of the originals where the plant did not have candy smell and was distinctly different like a combo of BO and crap [ I nicked that pheno Bopoo ]

I have other strains with other names but this one I found special enough to designate as the grail. The plant grows incredibly easy in a wide range of ph values [ I grow it around 6.2-6.4 but found someone else grew it a full point more acidic before they got a decent ph meter.] It also picks up some mite resistant qualities of the Mikado where I have seen them give 5 week or older buds a two inch buffer zone.

The strain gets a nice long narcotic quality stone from the Mikado and the sweet flavor bouquet of the C99. It kinda reminds me of an old strain of mine I lost back during a move in '96 that was a cross of some old SSSC seeds from the late 80's. One of the better ones I got done with and stopped updating it.

I have some ideas floating around for Holy Grail 2.x but cant decide if I should cross another with Mikado or use the grail 1.x to make the future cross to. Might have to do a ½-n-½ to see and send the results off to " the lab."

We'll see what the winter brings, meanwhile I got sidetracked on a new project with a report to come, Orange Diesel. Somewhere I'll have to dig up the smoke report and photos from one of the Grail 1.x testers.

Verite

Veteran
Funny, thanks K9, Im kinda jealous since I know you have sampled the Orange Diesel and I have yet to try it. Soon enough though heres the new batch of Orange Diesel.

G

Actually... I came into such a variety and quantity all of a sudden (MJ and I harvested within days of each other, then swapped) that I haven't actually gotten around to the Orange Diesel yet. I know, it's a travesty. Soon tho. It was the last on the list, but not for any particular reason. In fact, it looks pretty mean sitting there and I've been really looking forward to it.

I know this thread isn't about your skills, but they can't be ignored. Would you mind throwing up your soil mix and nute regimen, if applicable? I'd appreciate it.

Can't get over the uniformity of those HG seedlings.

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Raque said:
Holy Grail?

This is bullshit, I expect buds to instantly form on anything named holy grail.

Calling it John Paul II instead might square things up for you with the Vatican...

G

Raque said:
I'm just giving the man shit CB :)

back at ya raque, really didnt know that was the name, brass balls for that, definitly gonna catcha buncha ribbin on that one.

krazy mofo verlite:)

CBF

thor

Outdoor Grower, C99 Lover
ICMag Donor
What a hybrid ! Two of my favourite strains crossed together :)
Will be watching this one for sure. Good luck !

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
Nice job on the cross. I heard about Mikado. It's supposed to be one of the fastest finishers (42-45 days). Crossing it with the C99 is great because of the yields and sativa characteristics. I think this would be great strain. That Mikado probally will bring the flower time down on the C99.

Verite

Veteran
Heres a grow report from one of the 1.0 testers where based on the description theirs seemed to have some of the bopoo pheno. This report is from an everyday fairly heavy smoker fond of potency.

LIVE REPORT - HOLY GRAIL 1.0

Bag Appeal: (8.5) - Very nice overall. Sticky and frosty, very impressive...even to moi'. Lighter in weight than it looks..

Aroma: (8.0) - Imagine if you will, an old sock that has been soaked in a an exotic peppery persimmon brine. The old sock turns you off...but for some reason you can't just stop smelling it. The aroma is thick...and the longer you keep your nose in there, the more you think the sock is actually a ginger snap cookie...and there is an odd desire to bite it.

Flavor: (7.5) Leans towards the peppery side of life, and I was surprised to find it has much more smell than actual flavor. Smoke is a bit more harsh than I thought it would be...kinda like the old persimmon sock got charred in the barn fire. But perhaps this isn't a fair assessment, being only 12 days into the cure.

Effect: (9.0) - This is where the Grail takes the cake. Three hits of this seemingly harmless smoke will completely disorient even the most lion-hearted. Two bong loads will have you typing shit that might not make sense to others. And three bowls (my norm)...well, I'm still on bowl number two, (and a third may not be necessary)...very impressive! (but I'll go there for 'testing purposes' anyway)

Ringing ears. No noias. Heavy head hit, Ansel Adams style...part of me wants to hike the back creeks, and the other part wants nothing more than to crawl back into my snuggly bed. Sounds very inviting...but naaaaah...science is science, and besides...I must turn in my paper.

1/2 hour and 2 full bowls into the test - Attention Deficit Disorder setting in. Ass is firmly planted in couch (stuck in one position), although brain is all over the place.

45 minutes and 3 full bowls into the test - I can't deal with the distraction of the TV, so I switch to music. Old Man sung by Lizz Wright. Two of my doggies want to come in the house, but they are all muddy. I spend the next 15 minutes toweling them off (which they love), and now we are all happy. But I'm almost TOO high...never thought I'd type those words...but it's quite true. Oh yes...

Two hours have passed and I have yet to finish one email or PM...but I've started several. As well as made breakfast and loved on Bernie a whole bunch. A little calmer now, that first hour was pretty intense.

It's been 2-1/2 hours and my big buzzard is starting to quickly wearing off. The shift happens very quickly, but is almost a relief...as that was a thrill park ride, in retrospect.

Duration (7.5) -- started smoking at 7:50AM - Buzz officially gone at 10:30

Overall Rating: 8.05

Big strengths are the quality of the high and the ride. A very cerebral experience.
Not a "love the world" strain...more like "escape to Mars".
Truly an alien creation of the most serious kind.

Verite

Veteran
Heres the pics from one of those grows. I think these were grown up into about halfway thru flower avg about a mid 5's in the soils ph [ some EJ acidic blend deal ] until a meter was obtained and they seemed to recover nicely. Most of these pics are at 38 days except the finished pic of the branches in the vase.

Guest423

Veteran
nice smoke report...i think i've been on that ride a few times....how much did the plant in the vase end up yielding?

Verite

Veteran
Dr.Feelgood said:
So how and when can we try some of those beans? :joint:

I dont really have a method or means of getting my wares to the public arena. The only consolation so far is its a well established edition to my seed stock and not an elite clone. I might have a contest or two if theyre ok'ed. :chin:

I got a preliminary report on the orange diesel but they didnt like the aroma. When I asked what it smelled like they said like spicey orange mixed with an auto mechanics shop, my comment was, ahhh perfect. The orange strain was a killer gift of seeds I won in a picture contest and paired it to some of AnnaC's NYCD. Heres a pic of the male NYCD I used.

Verite

Veteran
.canine. said:
... Would you mind throwing up your soil mix and nute regimen, if applicable? I'd appreciate it...

I know some are hoping for some secret recipe but I keep it about as simple and lazy as can be due to the volume of mix I go thru in a year. [ anywhere from 500-750 gallons of medium.]

Since that would cost more than what I want to pay for and leave a " what to do with it later " dilemma I have somewhat got dialed into my own method of soil/medium recycling.

My sprouts and 3" pots always get new medium to help kickstart a good rootbase but all my 5 gallon buckets are recycled medium. When I mix my 3" pots I mix up about 60-70% perlite, 15-20% topsoil, and 15-20% worm castings. Thats it. Its a lite mix that promotes a good quick wet to dry cycle and likes being fed organics often.

The reason I only use perlite is because its inert and highly resists breakdown over time. Any peat product will break down acidic and just cant be used for recycling medium. The other thing I get is a multitude of questions regarding their desire to modify the process and ask me if that will work for them, my basic reply is try it and find out because Im already dialed in and not going to change 15 years of works fine for me.

The next most important part is fert selection as anything chemy will leave enough salt buildup in the mix over time making it sooner or later a toxic soup. The most chemy fert I use is Fox Farms Tiger Bloom and use it sparingly enough over the winter crops that the summer use is kinda offset.

Easiest way to tell besides the label saying organic is take a tablespoon of the fert and dry it on a dark plate and see if it forms crystals. If it does its no good to use for recycling medium.

Then when Im done flowering I take the buckets and let them sit and dry out fully while sending another set of buckets thru flowering. When Im ready to transplant a 3" pot to 5 gallon all I do is grab one of the old buckets, dump it into a rubbermaid container, remove the large rootball near the stump and leave the rest of the dried roots in. Mix in a new quart of topsoil and worm castings, stir it up and pour back into the same 5 gallon bucket it came from then transplant into a hole sprinkled with mychor granuals. Takes all of about 3-5 minutes a bucket to transplant.

If one of the buckets acts up in flower where the rest are fine I just mark it and pull it out of rotation and mix that bucket with a whole bunch of 3" pot leftovers then put it back into rotation but in the last 10 years I might have done it to 3 or 4 buckets cause it seems to be dialed in well.

One more trick I employ to get rid of chem use was to figure out a fert substitute for ph Up. Found even little amounts of Peruvian seabird guano in a water base works great for raising the ph in the ferted solution and is balanced enough to use in veg and flower.

I will take a picture soon of the ferts I use and which are my favorites and which I use less frequent. Without question theyre all organic.

I almost forgot to mention the Grail is also a fairly heat resistant strain too which seems to from the C99 side since I know the Mikado I have only works well in the winter time. The Grail has been growing in high 80's to low 90's for the last 3-4 weeks of flower and veg.

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
That NYCD male looks like it can cause a major allergy attack, better not use your hair dryer anywhere close. Orange Diesel, huh? I'm a big Diesel fan, and it fits in nicely with the Blueberry and Strawberry Diesels. Whenever a Peach Melba or Cherry Garcia Diesel is up for release I'm in line for a pack.
Verite said:
The next most important part is fert selection as anything chemy will leave enough salt buildup in the mix over time making it sooner or later a toxic soup.
Salt buildups are pretty easy to deal with, even with a medium like perlite, which is low absorbing and drains well. A flush with low EC water every now and then will do the trick. Do I detect prejudice against non-organic nutrients (aka chemical)? As I'm sure you know, the only difference between organic and non-organic nutrients is that organic nutrients are trapped within organic compounds and need to be broken down by a bacteriological process before becoming avaible to the plants. In chemistry, overdosing a substance can cause toxicity while being beneficial in small dosage. Overdosing organic nutrients cause the same toxicity as overdosing chemical nutrients, but that barrier of bacteria causes a slow uptake of nutrients and the overdose will be more spaced out and seem less violent to the grower (fooling him to believe organic nutrients are "healthier"). In industrial agriculture, organic fertilizers cause the same kind of ground water pollution as chemical fertilizers. Even in a sterile medium using chemical nutrients, dead organic material (roots and whatever yuck goes into the pot) will slowly build up and cause an organic bacterial environment.

Last edited:
G

Verite said:
I got a preliminary report on the orange diesel but they didnt like the aroma. When I asked what it smelled like they said like spicey orange mixed with an auto mechanics shop, my comment was, ahhh perfect.

I haven't tested mine, yet, but I have smelled it of course. I wrote to the above person about this, but I LIKE the smell quite a bit. I think it must be a male thing (which is exactly what she said) because to me it smells like GoJo Orange pumice hand cleaner (I'm a bicycle mechanic, so this conjures up things I'm fond of!) with some spicyness in there.

Looking forward to the Grail beans being available one day. And thanks a lot for all the soil/ferts info. Good stuff.

.c.