What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Holy Grail 1.x an introduction

G

Rosy Cheeks said:
Do I detect prejudice against non-organic nutrients (aka chemical)? As I'm sure you know, the only difference between organic and non-organic nutrients is that organic nutrients are trapped within organic compounds

I'd say the primary difference is that chemical nutrients are trapped within salts. There are FAR fewer salts in organic nutrients than in synthetic nutrients.

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
Nice male, hes got some mighty big balls.

Nice simple medium--- dont change shit if it aint broke, right?
Thats it. Its a lite mix that promotes a good quick wet to dry cycle and likes being fed organics often.

exactly : )

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
I guess there in lies another secret, by using the organics I use I never have to flush. I also have yet to see anyone employ soil recycling using chemy ferts, it just doesnt work well over time. Heres a set of pics with all my ferts.

I dont use the Peace of Mind ferts often since they are mostly made of stuff thats not ready available to the roots. Especially the two that arent the bat guano, those are what I would only use as a soil amendments as they need time to break down in the soil before its available to the plant. I did however till about 3/4 of a pound of the starter mix into the soil of the outdoor plant which seems to have done it some good.

The primary mix of my vegging ferts is fish emulsion 5-1-1, Alaska brand is my fav but Im trying out the Mother Nature brand too, both are 100% organic. I also like using a bit of Neptunes harvest fish and seaweed 2-3-1 since it adds some oils to the mix you can see on the surface of the water and feel. Helps in very dry soils to assist in soaking the medium and avoiding runoff. The early plants 2-3 weeks old get some Alaska brand Start-Up 2-1-2 which is loaded with molasses and B vitamins to help kick start em.

Most of the above stuff, well actually all of it is acidic with the worst being the fish emulsion so to off set it I use Peruvian seabird guano 10-10-2 which raises the ph to my desired levels [ the jar behind the bag I fill 1/3 with the pellets and the rest with water.] instead of using ph up. I just started experimenting with the Jurrasic Acid which is a 10% humic acid mix based from leonardite. So far it seems to keep the mix in line.

In flower I slowly dial down the veg mix while increasing the flower mix over 2-4 weeks before going all flower fert. I use FF Tiger Bloom 2-8-4 as a base since it seems to do a pretty good job while supplimenting it with some dry guanos. Budswel 0-7-0 when Im feeling spendy and the Indonesian 0.5-12-0.2 and the Peace of Mind Bat Guano 0-4-0 when Im not.

For when I have issues like pale leaves when I know the N is plentiful I'll give them a boost of chelated Iron and Zinc to green em back up. I have epsom for mag stuff but rarely use it. If I think theres bad critters in the soil I give them the EA&EN combo. If I think the soil is funky in general I give them the Nitron A-35 soil conditioner to help swing it around. The granulated mycorr I sprinkle into all the transplant holes to help speed/ease transplant shock and boost the rootbed.

For when it gets hot out the Dyna-Gro Pro TeKt and or Rare Earth are godsends providing the magical silicon heat protector. While it wont do much to protect your buds it does help ease up on leaf curl due to heat stress. The Docs Twillight Enhancer I use once before harvest to give a slight boost to the flavor. Im still on the fence whether it works or not.

The pluses are most of the pictured ferts are really cheap and last a long time when used together. They all break down well enough to be used in a soil recycle program. The mix of liquid and dry ferts seems to ensure the medium has a minimal amount of material to use between fertings and aids in the biomix environment of the medium.

G

Thanks, Verite. For taking the time to do that. Extremely helpful info. It really seems simple, too.

Just had my first bowl of the Orange Diesel about 20 minutes ago. Duhhhhh........ :)

G

So you're not just the funniest person on the weednet. You got mad grow skillz too. Excellent Intro Verite. C99 speaks for itself but Mikado is a sleeper that needs more recognition IMHO. Thanks for making peeps more aware of Mikados potential in a cross. Alas my source for it has gone AWOL from the seed biz and I can't find it elsewhere. Keep up the good growing/breeding bro!

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I gotta go with Weedman on this one I thought you were just the resident smart ass. But damn man that is some fine growing and breeding skills. Many props to ya Verite.

Mr.Wags

Guest423

Veteran
verite didn't fool me, i knew he was a good grower because he has alot of knowledge if you read his posts....besides the funny ones.

Alex-F

Traktor driver
Veteran
Fu***ng good work my friend!!! :yoinks: :yoinks: :yoinks:

Very impressed man :wink: I thought you're into indicas? :chin:

I'll be your first customer if these ever hit Seedbay :wave:

G

WeedWrapperMan said:
Mikado is a sleeper that needs more recognition IMHO. Thanks for making peeps more aware of Mikados potential in a cross. Alas my source for it has gone AWOL from the seed biz and I can't find it elsewhere. Keep up the good growing/breeding bro!

Verite's Mikado is the OLD Federation Mikado, too. I don't know much about it but I hear the difference between the old and the new Mikado is night and day. Verite could probably fill in the blanks there.

Verite

Veteran
Thanks peeps. The Mikado I got was done by Federation probably around 2000 sometime and does seem to be different in a lot of parts over the descriptions of the new stuff and Dynamite by Next Generation.

Its not very heat tolerant and I can only do the Mikado in winter time but when its done right the results are downright scary. Once the buds start to trich up mites wont come within 2" of them. The strain seems to be loaded with terpenes which seem to irritate my eyes and nose with a burning sensation if I manicure it too close to my face. The stuff works great out of any smoking device but a bong. Bong hits of the Mikado will leave a tar like resin film on your lips and teeth that only seem to be removed with approx 3-6 ounces of Pepsi or Coke or any other tooth enamel removing soda.

The high of the Mikado is truely one medicinal powerhouse, extremely strong and narcotic. If it doesnt ease your pain it surely will make you forget them for a long long time. The high length is also phenominally long and I have found when Im doing up the Mikado I smoke about half as many times as I normally do. Most of the time I will usually mix a doober with ½-n-½ so its not too strong and doesnt leave a tar baby roach when done.

G

Just received the good news, Verite. Thanks a million. Gonna be a really fun one.

The Dopest

[THC] True Hippie Coonass
Veteran
that is alot of soil, im a hydro/chem guy seems easier, but hangin around here you make soil/organic seem easy!

thanks Verite for the very informative thread!

R1ridah

Verite said:
Thanks peeps. The Mikado I got was done by Federation probably around 2000 sometime and does seem to be different in a lot of parts over the descriptions of the new stuff and Dynamite by Next Generation.

Its not very heat tolerant and I can only do the Mikado in winter time but when its done right the results are downright scary. Once the buds start to trich up mites wont come within 2" of them. The strain seems to be loaded with terpenes which seem to irritate my eyes and nose with a burning sensation if I manicure it too close to my face. The stuff works great out of any smoking device but a bong. Bong hits of the Mikado will leave a tar like resin film on your lips and teeth that only seem to be removed with approx 3-6 ounces of Pepsi or Coke or any other tooth enamel removing soda.

The high of the Mikado is truely one medicinal powerhouse, extremely strong and narcotic. If it doesnt ease your pain it surely will make you forget them for a long long time. The high length is also phenominally long and I have found when Im doing up the Mikado I smoke about half as many times as I normally do. Most of the time I will usually mix a doober with ½-n-½ so its not too strong and doesnt leave a tar baby roach when done.

Nice to hear that Mikado is a powerhouse... I am familiar with the genetics of Dynamite from Next Generation... another powerhouse, haha the end of the spliff will also seep tar and give the appearance of lil black moles. on your lip...haha! Any hints on where to find Next Generation on the www? :)

Verite

Veteran
Ah the burning lip moles. I should be doing another set of follow up pics soon. Im fairly impressed the plants are doing as well as they are since the avg temp near the plant tops is around 93°f. I can already tell the buds would be a third bigger in size if it was a winter grow. I normally only pollenate the three best females out of the group but after the sniff test, loupe look, and a rub down I ended up with five good potential females I pollenated. Beautiful candy like aromas coming from all of them.

G

the reason mikado got underrated is cause it was being hyped as one of SOL's strains under a different name.. I dont remember all the names, but old federation stuff was just knockoffs of BS's work...swt3, etc.. any old CWers recall what was what?

TML16

Snow Grower ~OGA~
Veteran
Great thread you have here Verite

Been doing some research into which strain i was going to purchase next and Willy Jack seeds are most widely available to me at good prices. They have a few great Mikado crosses that have caught my interest. Mikado X Hashplant being the most appealing.
It was wonderful to read that Mikado is a great strain to cross with because that was my goal when finding a strain.
I don't know if you have ever tried DP Passion #1 , but it sounds very similar in taste and scent. The problem with P#1 is that it is very tall and lanky, is a low yielder, and doesn't do well indoors. However the potency, flavour, and aroma are incredible.
I needed a strain that when crossed could help control the stretch, increase yield, and maintain that earthy/piney/spicey type strain feel. Mikado sounds like just the strain to do that with.

After reading some of your thread here, I'm now convinced Mikado or a Mikado cross is going to be the right choice for my needs.

I do trust Willy Jack's genetics after just testing their Tangerine (Chronic X Cali-O) and hopefully their Mikado genetics are just as strong.

Verite

Veteran
Cool hopefully it will. I should post some updates but kinda got sidelined with mites on the Grail, got some ladybugs to keep them in control until done. The grow temp hovers around 92.5 throughout the entire 12 hours of flower but they are still doing fine.

I feelin the heat too Verite.

Ive switchedover to a night time light schedule to try and compensate but even then im still in the 87-90 zone.. I think i might just have to forget about growing in this place durring summer time.

Or buy an AC..