What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hollow Stems?

jidoka

9A2C1595-0F71-4330-8833-980F29B170BB.jpg

No hollow stems here

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Im just glad we finally decided its not caused by deficiency lol, but genetic trait from interbreeding with hemp most likely for vigor.

I don't get how hollow stems would increase vigor. Wider passages transmit less fluid via capillary action which would indicate a harder time to get nutrients into the higher plant parts. There's definitely something else going on there.

clearheaded

I don't get how hollow stems would increase vigor. Wider passages transmit less fluid via capillary action which would indicate a harder time to get nutrients into the higher plant parts. There's definitely something else going on there.

he means hybrid vigor. when u cross dis similar var it gives increased vigor. so selecting a narrow leaf non drug var (hemp hollow stem) with a thick leaved short drug var you get increased vigor in the offspring. ie sat X ind f1 are more vigorous then slightly different sat nld X sat nld.

Also, again, hollow stem has zero to do with passage of nutrients pith is more storage then transport(also why pith doesnt have long fibers) and does not contain vascular bundles as i mentioned before. also have a look at a labeled cross section of cannabis or any other herb stem.

No one suggested that they increase vigor but they tend to be seen in plants that are healthy and growing rapidly. Since pith is used for storage of sugars and other elements, it makes sense that a rapidly growing plant is using all it's sugars and thus has no excess to store away in pith.

Wider passages transmit less fluid via capillary action which would indicate a harder time to get nutrients into the higher plant parts. There's definitely something else going on there.
Water and nutrients travel via the xylem bundles. A hollow stem carries no fluids and is just an air filled void.

Im just glad we finally decided its not caused by deficiency lol, but genetic trait from interbreeding with hemp most likely for vigor.
Yes definitely not a result of deficiency. Calcium and Boron are essential nutrients present in all complete nutrient formulations. Silica is a non-essential element and it's presence or absence makes little difference to plant growth or yield.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
he means hybrid vigor. when u cross dis similar var it gives increased vigor. so selecting a narrow leaf non drug var (hemp hollow stem) with a thick leaved short drug var you get increased vigor in the offspring. ie sat X ind f1 are more vigorous then slightly different sat nld X sat nld.

Also, again, hollow stem has zero to do with passage of nutrients pith is more storage then transport(also why pith doesnt have long fibers) and does not contain vascular bundles as i mentioned before. also have a look at a labeled cross section of cannabis or any other herb stem.

You are the Hero this Thread needed.

Silica is a non-essential element and it's presence or absence makes little difference to plant growth or yield.

Im about to post a thread on how plants use silica in the nutrients and fertilizer section now...

Last edited:

jidoka

Cellulose, hemi cellulose and pectin take Ca to form. B and Si increase the delivery of Ca

If you never get enough Ca you might not know

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Thanks Jidoka.

From blog.nutri tech.com

"American consultant, Gary Zimmer, coined the term “Calcium the trucker of all minerals and boron the steering wheel” and he correctly highlighted the critically important, synergistic relationship between these two minerals. It is a simple fact that you will be disappointed in your lime response if your soils are boron deficient because calcium does not provide its many benefits in the absence of boron. During a recent trip to New Zealand I was speaking with a dairy farmer who had made a considerable investment in lime but had seen very few benefits from the exercise. Upon further investigation I found that his soil tests revealed a massive boron deficiency! In fact, he had just 0.1 ppm of boron in his soils when he required a minimum of 1 ppm. He had created this deficiency through burning out his organic matter reserves with large applications of urea and then leaching boron with centre pivot irrigation. Organic matter is the boron storehouse as it is the only component of the soil that has the positively charged sites to attract and retain this negatively charged trace mineral (anion). As your organic matter declines so does your boron, as it is the most leachable of all trace elements. However this dairy farmer’s boron neglect cost him more than a poor lime response. There was virtually no clover on his entire property because legumes are boron-hungry and will struggle when boron drops to these levels. The lack of clover was also related to urea abuse as legumes never thrive in high N situations. When most people think of legumes they think of nitrogen fixation and the associated reduced requirement for applied N. However, legumes offer more than this. Legumes constantly release organic acids which are invaluable in solubilising locked-up phosphorus (over 70% of applied phosphate becomes insoluble) and they also make calcium more bio-available which is beneficial to both soil organisms and plants. So you get nitrogen, calcium and phosphorus from legumes and you don’t get a good legume to grass ratio without boron. These calcium and legume links should offer enough motivation for you to manage boron nutrition but this highly leachable trace element provides several other benefits."

Source Link:
https://blog.nutri-tech.com.au/the-role-of-boron-much-more-than-a-synergist/

clearheaded

i dont think he was joking?? "hemp" meaning possibly closer related to hemp then drug var. not actually zero thc "hemp". since there is no correlation between any beneficial trait and hollow stems but there is correlation between hollow stem and hemp. further away in relation the higher the hybrid vigor. Talking in very general terms remember many hemp var "sativa" meaning cultivated are related to NLD types. perhaps selecting from nld just for hollow stems will produce strong stem low drug hemp like plant ;) as the hollow stem nld are perhaps closer to "hemp". at any rate ya not a deficiency (although severe environment may have some impact). DJ short thought that thick full stems are more hemp like however that of course is wrong, think there was a panel and I dont know why robert clarke never corrected him when he was talking about that... could be wrong but just remembered that. cheers!

Y

Yard dog

DJ based the hollow stem thing on what he read on Starks book which stated;

"..the next criterion for elimination, borrowed from michael starks' marijuana potency, involves stem structure. large, hollow main stems are sought while pith-filled stems are eliminated. backed by years of observation, hollow stems do seem to facilitate THC production."

beta

Veteran
The stems on a good sized Santa Cruz Blue Dream are hollow as the soul of an echo, and it's plenty potent.

imo the vast majority of DJ's breeding philosophy was old wives tales and cognitive bias.

Spaventa

Veteran
Stark attributed the higher THC in hollow stemmed plants to the fact they had hollow stems. Its like attributing superior sprinting ability to darker skin, or curly hair, or natural rhythm, or higher crime stats, or lower average IQ scores or superior singing ability.

Im not saying it doesn't play a role but you can't jump to a conclusion of causation when you haven't ruled out coincidence.

clearheaded

The stems on a good sized Santa Cruz Blue Dream are hollow as the soul of an echo, and it's plenty potent.

imo the vast majority of DJ's breeding philosophy was old wives tales and cognitive bias.

dont forget the blueberry(from dj) in there had a dad with hollow stems ;)

MrBungle

I think if anything we would want solid stems for hemp.... more stem pith = more fiber for whatever product is being made....

clearheaded

I think if anything we would want solid stems for hemp.... more stem pith = more fiber for whatever product is being made....

thats what DJ thought too. please read past 2 pages pith is not long fiber. fibers are near outside of the stem. lol anyway not sure why i try...

if look at phylos galaxy and look how much hemp is in modern cultivars it may become clearer.

If you look up blueberry from old world genetics it has a VERY large purportion of Hemp more hemp then landrace skunk etc.
"Blueberry has heritage similar to varieties in Hemp, with a smaller component of genetic variation similar to varieties in OG Kush, Berry, CBD, Landrace." from phylo galaxy, indicating closer to hemp then anything else.

by chance?? i think not.. DJ selected for hemp in his males...

Latest posts

Latest posts