What's new

Hollands bare bulbs

Holland Oats

Hello all,
I don't post much, and I've never really done a journal so here it goes.

I'm from Michigan, and lately I've been trying to be better with my plant counts since I'm legal. I got turned on to growing monsters over the summer when I was reading up on HP aero tubs, and from there I noticed everyone growing big plants, I mean trees, were hanging there bulbs vertically.

Soo thats what I wanted to do, grow 12 of the biggest plants I'd ever seen. And I'm not just talking about height, I'm going for 12 super bushy plants.

This is my first time ever doing an ebb n gro system (thanks to ogre's controller plans). I've always done homemade aeroflows.

My first vert room has 3K hanging in it. We vegged em for 2 weeks under the t-5's, 2 more weeks under 2k vertically, and now we're 2.5 weeks into flower. All three lights hve been on since day one of flower.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 8

Holland Oats

Hollands bare bulbs

And right now...we made Mylar curtain things to keep the light in. As of right now I'm absolutely loving the way they're growing :-D the node spacing is so tight and the branches look so full and green. I like to pretend like I'm making a cage out of the branches when I'm pruning em

Attachments

49.1 KB · Views: 12

Holland Oats

Hollands bare bulbs

But i hope you didn't think that was it! As soon as I set the first vert room up I began thinking of things I could change.

As far as the system goes, I'm very impressed :-D the plants grow very fast. The buckets were doing dwc before I finished the controller, and they seem to be doing much better now.

But still, I want better light coverage so...our next room has 6-600 watt bulbs hanging in it. I used the lumatek dual 600 watt ballasts. Plantlightinghydroponics.com carries em for 300$ a pop which is a sweet fucking deal. The plants for this room are under t-5's right now, and will probably be in the big room by the end of the week.

Attachments

41.5 KB · Views: 10

BadRabbit

And right now...we made Mylar curtain things to keep the light in. As of right now I'm absolutely loving the way they're growing :-D the node spacing is so tight and the branches look so full and green. I like to pretend like I'm making a cage out of the branches when I'm pruning em

Looking great ... couple of questions if you don't mind ...

what strain? (sorry if I missed it) ... looks Indica dominant? In that last pic, the plants look really close to the bulb ... is that an optical deulsion, or are the plants really that close???

C

Cheeb

Nice work!

I'm digging the mylar curtain creations.

Those bulbs do look awfully damn close to the plants. I'd widen your circle a bit, but thats just me.

Keep on keepin on brother'

Holland Oats

Hollands bare bulbs

The indica looking one is white berry from paradise. There's some tga genetics in there too, querkle, jack the ripped, and 3rd dimension. There's also one clone of alpha deisel from Rez in there too. I didn't get it from him, just his genetics.

I had a few of rez's strains arrive at my door one day :-D

Thanks for your concerns with the bulbs, I've got a desk fan under each one and heat isn't an issue at the moment. Basements in Michigan stay pretty cool this time of year.

That being said, there are definitely a few leaves that are a little burnt but nothing major. I was thinking about using chicken wire and making a circle, maybe 3.5 ft in diameter, and somehow training the canopy thru it. Just need to figure out how I'd support it :-/ ...any ideas?

Attachments

40.8 KB · Views: 9

Holland Oats

Hollands bare bulbs

Also got the everything wired in the other room. We'll be moving the veg plants up there later today

See that reservoir in the back? That's a city trash can :-D almost 75 gallons!

Attachments

53.1 KB · Views: 10

Holland Oats

Hollands bare bulbs

Anyone know why I can't upload more than one pic at a time on my iPhone? :-(

Attachments

57.2 KB · Views: 10

Holland Oats

Hollands bare bulbs

The plant in the middle, up in front in the first plant is my last purple kush, so it was stripped for clones.

Attachments

56.5 KB · Views: 10

Holland Oats

Hollands bare bulbs

Hey bob, glad to see you here. I'd be on that other forum more if I could post up pics from my phone. I bought a house a couple months back and have been in the process of fixing that and maintaining all of my plants. I don't have my time at my computer, but I can post up everything from my phone on to this forum, so no biggie.

Here's a pic of my only horizontal grow. The only reason the bulbs aren't vertical over there is cause I haven't had time to update that room. I'm sure this will be the last round with that system tho.

I haven't mentioned it before but these are my first two vertical grows and they're only 3 or 4 weeks apart so this is all a big learning experience for me. I've learned a lot from lurking around on several forums and I really appreciate everyones input and all the different journals with bare bulbs.

I'm not trying to hate on the trusty aerflows, they've been producing steadily for almost two years now. I'm just trying to avoid high plant counts now that I've got 9600 watts. I'm only legal for 60 in Michigan, and horizontal lights work much better when you do 4-6 plants every sq/ft

Attachments

52.3 KB · Views: 12

whodair

Veteran
very nice...and growing !!! holland are u wearing eye protection ?? thats a lotta brightness homie !!

Holland Oats

Hollands bare bulbs

Thanks for stopping by everybody

Whodair-yeah, I started wearing sunglasses in the basement lol...those Mylar curtains do a good job at keeping the light contained in the first room, so I haven't been wearing em in there anymore

B

Bob Smith

Holland, I bought welding goggles from Amazon and they're the tits for eye protection - way better than sunglasses, which allowed peripheral rays in.

I think they were $18 delivered, but healthy eyes are priceless.

Nice looking setup again, homeboy.

EDIT: BTW, Happy Thanksgiving :)

aligee

Veteran
looks good bro !!! i use photobucket app on my iphone to upload pics then copy n paste image url in post !!! works great and very convenient...!!!

Holland Oats

Hollands bare bulbs

Thanks for the suggestions guys

Bob-I'm ordering em right now, 13.99 on amazon with free shipping :-D

Aligee-this is gonna make posting a lot easier, I love this app already

Bobblehead- thanks for stopping by...what's stopping you from switching now? lol I'm probably gonna use you're chicken wire idea but I'm still wondering how...

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Hey Holland nice set up. I am looking to emulate it in the future.
Wondering if you rotate your plants?
Or do you prune them so the growth is facing the lights?

Thanks, trying to get an understanding of the vertical bush process.