What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hippies water cooled over-haul. (iceboxes)

SKUNK420

Hey DH, props to you and cool setup!

For increasing water transfer efficiency, hot rodders use Redline Water wetter, good stuff and works better than antifreeze.

I was thinking the exact same thing. should also let 'em know that water cools better then a mix 50/50 mix of water/anti-freeze. You only need anti-freeze for just that to prevent freezing and some minor corrosion protection. The water wetter will work better and provide corrosion protection but will not protect from freezing.

DigitalHippy what is the set-up again on your 2800w room. I'm running the same wattage. I gotta find a way to be more efficient myself. My ambient outside temps can easily hit 100+ during summer and I am going to remodel my a/c set-up soon cuz it be struggling at times or might go with the IceBox set-up. thanx.

riddle me this....

small reservoir vs big reservoir ???

wouldnt a bigger reservoir take more energy to cool?

wouldnt it better off with a smaller reservoir?

oh yea, MADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD PROPS to digital hippy and watercooled@

its ashamed watercooled@, i left RIU not too long ago? or maybe it was? i still post on there...but i didnt know where you guys where at.

glad i know where i can lay my hat or hang with the watercooled crew...ha

nice work again guys... trying to finish up my system and post up pics for sure.

stonedm

the bigger res would take a little longer to cool down but once its cooled down its easier to keep cool once your lights are on. bigger is better

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
riddle me this....

small reservoir vs big reservoir ???

wouldnt a bigger reservoir take more energy to cool?

wouldnt it better off with a smaller reservoir?

big res's hold the temps longer, but take longer to cool.
my small res gets cold real fast so my chiller cycles on and off 2-5 times and hour. a larger res it would cycle less oftin but stay on longer.

oh yea, MADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD PROPS to digital hippy and watercooled@

its ashamed watercooled@, i left RIU not too long ago? or maybe it was? i still post on there...but i didnt know where you guys where at.

glad i know where i can lay my hat or hang with the watercooled crew...ha

nice work again guys... trying to finish up my system and post up pics for sure.

wharts riu?

post it up! lets educate everyone on the efficancies of watercooling.

FLoJo

Im definitely interested in water cooling.. bout to seal up my room, and debating wether to air cool the lights, just circulating in the room, or doing some water cooling... but hell I just bout a 1 ton ac for my room so i may just run stand alone hoods n say fuck it! LOL

love your setup btw digi

Last edited by a moderator:

Aymericg1

DH,
Love the setup. It was inspirational in getting me to set up my own water cooled setup. I'm having some issues, and was hoping you might be able to provide some insight into my problems.

First, what I have set up:
1 8 inch IB
2x 600 HPS
1/4HP chiller
30 Gal res.
1054GPH pump
6 inch Vortex (440CFM)
3/4 inch lines running the entire length, except for right @ the IB, where it reduces.

Currently, water flows from the res->pump->chiller->IB->res. At lights on, cooler temp is 68, and rises up to 80. Room temps go from 70 (lights off) to 89 (as high as I let it get, before turning off 1 of the 600's). I noticed this am, even with only 1 light on, water temp was still 77 deg.

So, questions..
Is my Chiller underperforming/undersized for this?
Do I need a larger res (I noticed you are using a smaller res than I am, and with way more IB's to cool)?
Should I reroute my water flow to keep the res colder?
Do I need a second IB in between my hoods?
Is it possible my pump is moving water too fast for the chiller to cool it?

Any other suggestions you might have? I am going to install a 12K BTU ac today, as RH is a bit high, and I really need to keep the temps in check. I'm running CO2, so 80+ is fine, I'm just worried about the fact that my chiller doesn't seem to be able to keep the water cold enough to be effective.

Anyway, thanks for any info you may have, and thanks for the inspiration!
hey i dont know if you got your answer yet but I just set up a system very similar to yours but with 1 less light a small manifold that goes to the 8in IB and back to res and a electronic valve that opens or closes the flow on a nutrient coil in the nutrient res based on the temp. I had 1/4 hp 1000 gph pump top run this and the with lights on the chiller could not reach the right temp therefore fucking up the nutrient temp air temp ect.. Then i realized with all that pipe and tubing it was probly reducing the flow of the pump 2 like 100 gph when the chiller needs 600-1000. So I got a danner 2400gph pump and it works like a charm! Now every thing is running smoothly. hope this helps. (I have a tee after the pump b4 the chiller going back to the res with a valve so i can control the flow)

Numboard

Much simpler with one of these instead of all those ice boxes:
http://www.progressive-growth.com/proddetail.php?prod=heatexlb
heatexchanger-l.gif
Forget those, I plan on using some heat exchangers i found in a junkyard for almost free. They are qite big and already have a pair of 120v fans on them. I am going to hook up a attic fan thermostat to the fans and to a washing machine valve, which has two regular garden hose fittings to supply the water. valve opens with 110v. and gets sent through a 1/2" tube. Perfect

Rads: whatever they weigh in copper. bout 15 bucks a piece i think.
Washing machine valve. Could be free if you know where theres a junk washing machine, or 10 bucks on ebay shipped.
thermostat: 25 bucks at home depot.
We have a irrigation pump on our property which pumps sedimnet filtered water to our various hose barbs on our property. I kinda cheat by not using a chiller but hopefully it will be plenty effective. I think water cooling indoors without a natural resource isn't worth the cost.

Also details on all this stuff are in my thread: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=173602

total costs

total costs

here it is folks!
its very effeciant.

enjoy! ask questions! learn! upgrade!

the heart, a 2HP JBJ arctica chiller. titanium core, for coarl reefs.
220v 30 amps.
picture.php

1" PVC, mostly insulated, with GH1250gph inline 1" pump. 140$, very quiet. very powerful.
picture.php
picture.php

haha- the 'muffler' i just installed for my 'air-a/c'...total waste now...

25 gallon "tub" (recycled 0$)
complete with cloudy water.
picture.php

pumps....
picture.php

1250, gph (eco, real cheap, probably not 1250gph)
1056, 633, 400
picture.php

1250 goes to 2ed room with 3/4 going to 3 8" boxes.

400 goes to my 8" on the can 100, hung from the cieling.
picture.php

633 goes to 6" #1 &2 on the left mover.
picture.php

1056 goes to 4 6" boxes on the middle and right mover, 3/4 trunk broken into 2x 1/2.
picture.php
picture.php

cost about 1200 on iceboxes.
about 250 on insulation, plumbing(pvc, joints, valves, click-clamps, tape, etc)
45$ on 200' black poly 1/2" 40$ on 30' black poly 3/4".
160$ on the 5 pumps in the water, 140$ on the big pump.
1835 so far... probably some extra for gas and such.
i droped about 750 on 4 6" fans and 1 8" fan, but depending on perspective there essential anyways.

the chiller can vary, i got mine used for a hell of a deal.
a bit of a headache with all the movers. atleast to setup.
and requires de-humys to control dew on the lines. other then that.
pffft awsome.

total control. less power useage.

again, let me know what you think, and when your going to upgrade.

So, with the chillers, and everything else, how much total involved in this upgrade?

lvtokerr

are there any grow journals where someones actually used and not just set up a water cooled garden? im thinking about using the fan chill box heat exchanger instead of an ac. in the winter i could have a res outside and not have to use a chiller on it.

So, with the chillers, and everything else, how much total involved in this upgrade?

Really, really, really, I mean really...

Is that enough commas?

How about actually READING the thread they've taken the time to write for us instead of asking redundant questions?

It's SEVEN PAGES for crying out loud.

LOL, the answer to your question by the way. You actually quoted it and posted it directly above your post with the question. What I mean is had you even read the first post that you quoted after looking at all the pictures, then posting all his pictures AGAIN...you would have seen the answer was written in your own post.

Bigge

I'm moving to closed room using 1k HPS, another ~1k of LEDs...going to run 4 iceboxes on a 1hp chiller. Will be setting up a journal. Just built the manifold this evening.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 13

Bigge

Set up is complete...waiting on ice box thermometer to keep it from getting to cold.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 13

Bigge

Ice boxes attached. I ran exhaust back to blow down from the 1k HPS.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 14