What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Highway Robbery - Urban Guerrilla growing with autos

Chuck Jägerschnitzel

I listen to The Pot Cast while I'm trimming and I learn a lot of neat stuff that way, one thing I learned is that Bob Hemphill of Crickets & Cicada Seeds used to guerrilla grow in the same region I did back in the 20th century, but he favored highway roadside areas and cloverleafs and I was using mostly streamside areas, so we never overlapped back then. I decided to try it his way just to see what happened and I had pretty good success for the past couple years. Heres the story starting with the 2021 grow:
Over the winter of 2020-2021 I grew a closet full of autos, all crosses of Female Seeds' NL auto that were at the F3 stage and fully autoflowering, I had NL x Diesel, NL x (Zamal x Diesel) and those two crossed together. I used a male of the NL x Diesel in that grow because that was the only boy I got. The ones with Zamal in them were all much taller plants so I went with the NL x Diesel seeds for the outdoor grow. After surveying the region, I found a nice spot next to the freeway was easily accessible without crossing traffic and was positioned to get plenty of sunshine and had nothing else already growing there, so thats where I planted my seeds. In late April I scraped up a few little trenches about 1' long using a bonsai rake and put some wet seeds that had started to crack in them, then I waited a few weeks to see what had come up.

Heres the scene May 22, 2021, wide angle shot first, nothing is visible here other than the setting
DSCN5874hr.JPG

This is the dirt it was growing in
DSCN5873hr.JPG

And here just below & left of center was a tiny little marijuana plant just getting started
DSCN5872hr.JPG

Chuck Jägerschnitzel

By June 15 the plant was doing pretty nicely and staying low to the ground as I'd hoped it would
DSCN5907hr.JPG

It was starting to get big enough to be visible in the more zoomed out photos
DSCN5900hr.JPG

And nobody seemed to have noticed it yet regardless the large amount of traffic going by
DSCN5910hr.JPG

Again, this time with bokeh
DSCN5920hr.JPG

Chuck Jägerschnitzel

July 7, 2021

These first two photos are from a different angle
DSCN6045hr.JPG

The DO NOT ENTER & WRONG WAY sign top center in this pic shows where the pot plant is

DSCN6040hr.JPG

Heres the angle I took most of the pics from
DSCN6057hr.JPG

Plant getting bigger
DSCN6051hr.JPG

Flowers starting to show
DSCN6060hr.JPG

And resin starting to appear
DSCN6061hr.JPG

Chuck Jägerschnitzel

Bastille Day, 2021, this was the day I noticed that more than one of my seeds had sprouted

Theres the female, about 4' to the right of the sign, getting to be a nice little bush, the smaller male about 6' left of the sign
DSCN6096hr.JPG

DSCN6095hr.JPG

DSCN6093hr.JPG

DSCN6104hr.JPG

To the left of the sign, I noticed I also had a boy, not nearly as big an health as his sister, but big enough to do the job
DSCN6088hr.JPG

DSCN6092hr.JPG

It looked like he had started a little latter or the dirt in his spot maybe wasn't as good or he was fighting it out with a bunch of other sprouts, but he was ready to drop pollen and thats what counts
DSCN6105hr.JPG

None of those other plants made it to the point of doing anything, I guess they probably ran out of available moisture
DSCN6107hr.JPG

Last edited:

Chuck Jägerschnitzel

July 22

This day I began to suspect that some else had noticed my horticultural endeavor, when I got to the spot I saw the male plant had been killed, but the female was still fine
DSCN6139hr.JPG

Here she is, looking OK
DSCN6140hr.JPG

DSCN6144hr.JPG

DSCN6148hr.JPG

DSCN6152hr.JPG

Here he is, dead and it didn't look like it was an accident
DSCN6145hr.JPG

Chuck Jägerschnitzel

July 29, 2021

The female was still there, but had started to shrink
DSCN6208hr.JPG

DSCN6205hr.JPG

DSCN6210hr.JPG

After seeing this, I was now certain that I wasn't the only participant in this grow
DSCN6211hr.JPG

But there was still plenty of bud remaining
DSCN6212hr.JPG

Chuck Jägerschnitzel

August 5, 2021

Everything was still going along in hunky/dory.
I never watered these plants and they got no rain, the girl survived and flourished on the merits of her brilliant genius tap root's ability to find rainwater that had accumulated over the winter.
DSCN6275hr.JPG

DSCN6277hr.JPG
DSCN6279hr.JPG

DSCN6289hr.JPG

DSCN6284hr.JPG

Chuck Jägerschnitzel

August 14

The plant isn't really visible in the first photo, but I like the red Camaro
DSCN6335hr.JPG

It looked like the plant had started to shrink some more on this day
DSCN6342hr.JPG

DSCN6343hr.JPG

DSCN6344hr.JPG

DSCN6349hr.JPG

So I decided it was time for me to harvest a bud of my own, this is what it looked like after trimming. After it was dry I pulled about 60-70 seeds out of it
DSCN6351hr.JPG

Chuck Jägerschnitzel

Cool story, loved the pics.

Massive downside is all the heavy metals and other contams it picked up with all the traffic. Recommendation is (I believe) 60 yards from traffic/exhaust for clean results.
After I got the seeds out of that bud I put the rest in with my other miscellaneous trim and made some hash, whatever was in it didn't kill me, so hopefully it must've made me stronger.

Heh someone wanted to help you out by killing the male? :D

More like helping themselves, I'm happy they didn't get to him too quick, I liked the female's growth characteristics and the seeds she produced, as you will see shortly after I'm done selecting and resizing the 2022 photos

therevverend

Veteran
The Cloverleafs in the Bay Area and other spots in northern California were a good trick. A lot of times there's a water source and there's always lots of green vegetation to blend in, along with good sun exposure. I knew a guy that harvested large cops, many lbs. Just hope the local news traffic copter doesn't snitch you out.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
What doesn't kill you... often builds up over time until it's too late. And THEN you start having issues. Hoping exhaust is healthy and multiple studies are wrong is not great thinking, but I understand. ;)

Chuck Jägerschnitzel

The spring of 2022 was extremely cold and wet, weather appropriate for agriculture didn't really come around until July, so I got a much later start, I don't remember exactly when I planted, but must've been late May or very early Jun when I soaked about 40 or so of the seeds harvested in 2021 and took them out to the same location and planted them around, this time using an allen wrench to make holes for the seeds.

These pics are June 10
DSCN7161hr.JPG

Theres two sprouts visible in this pic, one just above and to the right of center, one closer to the top right corner. Neither of them made it
DSCN7163hr.JPG

Chuck Jägerschnitzel

June 26
DSCN7199hr.JPG

I found a pretty good looking plant behind those bushes off to the left
DSCN7195hr.JPG

Its dead center in this pic taken from the nearest sidewalk, but still barely visible, one step to the left or right and its completely hidden, excellent cover
DSCN7197hr.JPG

Just a pinch right of center here
DSCN7194hr.JPG