What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

High yield. Good selling

JusB

You've got a late start but there's still just enough time to get a crop in. The problem you'll be dealing with is mold because your humidity is high. When it starts to cool down in the South in October and November it hits right in the botrytis sweet spot. You should be looking for strains with at least some mold resistance.

Humboldt Seed Company has good stuff, they have a strain called Lemongrass you may be interested in. It's got decent mold resistance, a friend grew it in California a few years back and said it did great while his other stuff went to rot. I'd look for a seed company in the states because you need to plant now.

If you order from Europe, for instance one of the Dutch companies like Greenhouse, it'll probably take two weeks at least and you don't want to be pushing into August. They won't get big enough. If you start now they'll be at least 3 feet tall when they start to flower, that's enough to make it worth your trouble. I'd order the fastest shipping possible. I think seedsherenow is in the States and reputable. Of course if anyone else knows otherwise they should mention it. Plenty of other choices to go through as well.

I'd get at least 2 or 3 different strains, when you go guerrilla you never know what's going to do poorly and what's going to succeed. Usually takes a couple years to get dialed into a new spot. At least if one strain goes up in flames you've got other ones that could succeed. I think you're far enough south a later flowering time, end of October or early November for instance, might actually help. Since it won't auto flower immediately in August when the days start getting short. Good luck I hope it works out!
Thanks for the input. I'm not looking to start a crop now for this season. This is a grow that I will be working next growing season. I'm going to have a full season of growth. There is nothing I can do as for this season. I'm just trying to get everything in order to get a good grow starting next year early spring. I'm in lower Alabama also close to the Florida line so it's a bit warmer later in the year here than in upper Al.
Main thing to go along with strain selection for me is to get seeds that are uniform, feminized, and mostly good.
When I have grown in the past for instance mabee only 3 out of 10 seeds are worth a shit. Keep in mind I was using regular seeds because I was looking for variation so I could select that killer mother. I did selection out of a 100 seeds just for a mother. I don't have that option this time. I must take what I get from seed. That's the only reason I'm going to use feminized, but I'm thinking some breeders fem seeds are highly uniform which for me in this situation is what I'm looking for.
I was looking at Humboldt seeds yesterday about the only one I didn't read about was lemongrass cause personally I hate lemon... LoL
But this ain't about my palate I want to please the masses so I'm going to go read about the lemongrass strain now. I had thought of the Bigfoot glue.
I do need to avoid that blasted bud rot.
Question. Is anyone familiar with immunox for preventative maintenance of bud rot? Does it effect yeild? It's the same thing as Eagle 20 may b a more familiar name. That's a thought I have had for trying to avoid that problem but I wonder if it would fuck with the beneficial fungi in my root zone or effect yeild in any way?

therevverend

Veteran
Here's a link to a thread here on IC about Eagle 20. I think it's much more effective at controlling powdery mildew. I've heard it has toxicity issues like a lot of stuff does.

I'm in Washington state, we have the worst bud rot of all. Every year I lose a % of my harvest, maybe a full plant or two. I get around it by growing earlier strains but mostly by outgrowing it. Put enough plants out and some of them will be resistant and even on a mold prone plant some of the flowers won't mold. I've found there isn't a magic bullet, when the buds get waterlogged and don't dry out there's not much you can do. I've been experimenting with biofungicides. This BotryStop stuff is an example.

I believe they help but if the weather stays wet for a week not much you can do. The stuff works because there's strains of fungi that eat botrytis. They consume the rot fungus before it can eat your buds. The problem is the rot spreads quicker then the beneficial fungus. I've had 3 bad years in a row and I still managed to take in 75% of my harvest.

You might want to check out twenty20 Mendo. They have a strain called Glue sniffer, GG4 hybrid. Comes feminized or regular. Finishes late October and they say it's mold resistant. Buddy of mine got seeds last year, seems to like it. Great Lakes Genetics isn't a bad place to shop, they give away quite a few freebies and have a lot of good deals.

JusB

Ok. So after reading that I have decided I will NOT be using no Eagle 20
I'm just going to stick to what I've done in the past I think.
I have grown this area b4 and I have had bud rot a few times but not most of the time. Once it was so bad I lost the entire crop. Most other times I was able to minimize the loss by complete removal of entire buds that were affected.
It might have been strain related the time I lost the whole crop or not because there have been times when I had absolutely no plants ever get any. So.
That was a long time ago since I last grew outside and I wasn't looking for strains that were resistant. I was learning hard good lessons instead...lol

So I have never used Humboldt seeds b4 but man there site makes them seem to be on top of the game.
To b safe I am still going to get a couple strains from Greenhouse bcuzz I have used them in the past and they have really good quality and uniform strains. I have never been let down by there product.

So in the past all I did was removed lower growth and sprayed with compost tea for preventative.
Here are the strains I have decided so far that I will try assuming the seeds are available.

Carmel Creme
Hella Jelly
Lemongrass
The Bling
Super Silver Haze
Great white shark

I know I originally said I was going to grow 5 different strains but I have decided to add a couple more. I'm open to going up to 10.
I was looking at the Humboldt Dream and that said 10 LBS per plant... quality... and I'm like damnnnn. But I wonder if it would be prone to the very thing we've been talking about..bud rot.
Anyone got any input on that one.
All the other strains I listed above are supposed to be mold resistant.

Rodehazrd

Last year I put some down in the bottoms PM and late rot on everything except a gg4 clone I was gifted. I fed silica once and mulched heavy with horsetail .

grayeyes

JusB, I think you will like SSH. It will produce alot of volume especially if you put it in the ground. I don't sell as I am allergic to jail and don't grow to get rich.

grayeyes

Something to think about for all those out there pondering just how rich they are going to be when they grow and sell. In Michigan this year cannabis sales went from $400 a ounce to $100. It is this way across the country. Apparently lots of people are thinking they are going to be rich growing.

May want to rethink the 'grow and get rich' schemes.

Rodehazrd

Something to think about for all those out there pondering just how rich they are going to be when they grow and sell. In Michigan this year cannabis sales went from $400 a ounce to $100. It is this way across the country. Apparently lots of people are thinking they are going to be rich growing.

May want to rethink the 'grow and get rich' schemes.
I smoked some of that 100$ weed from Michigan well really my cuz spent 125$ but it wasn’t bad no where near good homegrown in taste but for commercial fair to middling. I’m not fighting the cold this winter in my barn room this so we’ll be driving north next month for a cannabis shopping holiday.

40degsouth

Hey everyone, I hope you’re all well.
I’ve grown out HSO’s Blue Dream JusB and found it a bit all over the place at my location. From three seeds l got three different phenos, one finished well with big, long spear shaped buds, a beautiful plant that was mould resistant. Another was a SSH leaner that went to long and rotted. The last was a massive plant that did finish ok but probably needed an extra couple of weeks and really needed more sun than it was getting to finish properly. None of the Blue Dream phenos l grew looked anything like the real Blue Dream.
In my opinion they’re Blueberry Headband was a much better plant and although in five plants there were three different phenos, they all finished well and were, what I’d describe as, mould resistant. One of these plants was easily the biggest plant I’ve ever grown, bigger than the Blue Dreams and had terminal buds as big as my head all over it.
The Blackdog is the only plant l would recommend however, if you can even get it now. It’s the real deal and the total package for me but at your latitude and microclimate, will it be as good for you??
The one thing all these plants have in common is that when they get big they need extra support and if you don’t, they will be destroyed in wind and rain.
Anyway, hope that helps you out a bit,
Cheers,

mexweed

Veteran
so the people he met in the strain hunters videos were de facto the only sources of those seeds and he actually collected 100% of the seed stock from multiple countries

goingrey

I thought the Strain Hunters thing was just marketing but seems GHS actually have two Swazi (eSwatini) crosses available. Pretty cool.

mexweed

Veteran
that's the other thing...some of those seeds he brought back maybe didn't turn out to be that great in breeding projects or making a stable line for indoor

it was popular to hate on greenhouse, but they've always had stuff that looks interesting/worth trying

grayeyes

Trading feminized seeds to people in rural areas for landrace seeds is flat cruel and greedy. He has done it all over the world. You will NEVER see those landrace seeds he collected.

goingrey

Watch the south african adventure where his guys tell Arjan that there is "no more of the landrace from this area". What a great success!
I did actually watch that recently. According to the video the big strain in South Africa is Exodus Cheese.

Kinda sad that traditional cultivars are being replaced but it's up to every grower what they have in their garden. Not my place to say.

Probably they are growing it because it's ... high yielding and good selling! Lol, we are back on topic.

grayeyes

Yeah, I am sure there is a dispensary right next store for them to buy GHS seeds.

One of the dumbest comments I ever saw. Like they have the money to buy seeds.

Koondense

Veteran
I think it's dumb to believe Arjan is the only one(and first) interested to bring fem seeds etc. to landrace growers.
The Strainhunters are in a way late to the game, it's all been hybridized long ago... Look at Marocco, where did that Paki genes come from and how? Wind carrying pollen from Islamabad to Ketama? Did Arjan bring Paki genes there? Albania is full of Mephisto, SweetSeeds and Dinafem autoflowers... Not sure Arjan ever went there...
It's easy to hate, way too easy.

Have a great new year ;)

Latest posts

Latest posts