What's new

High $ beans vs low budget beans debate

CalcioErba2004

CalErba
Veteran
Doesn't matter what the price is. If I want it I'll pay the price for it. Though I don't recommend that a noob go out and spend 300 bucks on a pack of beans. Cheap beans are great for beginners. If it's something they want to keep doing then they can spend some money on beans from highly experienced breeders who have been doing this a long time.

cornflake

better'n coco pops any ol' day o da week
Veteran
my experience of cheaper seeds is the same as my experiences in life

you get what you pay for

someone else said cannocopia beans were great, that's bs, they look good and it seems that's what the breeders selected for, something that looks nice

I bought 4 packs of their cheapies and after growing out 2 strains I really don't know when I'll pop the others, the first 2 strains were so weak as to be pointless to grow out so now I'm scared of wasting space in my cab for them

I have bought perhaps 30 packs beans the past 2 years and I am happiest with my expensive purchases, which have been more reliable germing and the results speak for themselves, I get what I want from them unlike the cheap beans I wish I'd never bought

Cannacopia offers Good Value for Money!!!

Cannacopia offers Good Value for Money!!!

my experience of cheaper seeds is the same as my experiences in life

you get what you pay for

someone else said cannocopia beans were great, that's bs, they look good and it seems that's what the breeders selected for, something that looks nice

I bought 4 packs of their cheapies and after growing out 2 strains I really don't know when I'll pop the others, the first 2 strains were so weak as to be pointless to grow out so now I'm scared of wasting space in my cab for them

I have bought perhaps 30 packs beans the past 2 years and I am happiest with my expensive purchases, which have been more reliable germing and the results speak for themselves, I get what I want from them unlike the cheap beans I wish I'd never bought

It's unfortunate that you had a less than favorable experience with Cannacopia. Fortunately, you seem to be only one of a very few with this experience. I reiterate my point that Cannacopia has some exceptional strains and some that are of acceptable quality for $30, it just depends on what your preference for rating is. I've had very good experiences with Govt Mule and also liked the Lapis Mnt Indica. The LMI wasn't an owerpowering indica, but it was pleasant, looked and smelled great with a nice taste and was very easy to grow and for $30 it was a steal! If you were the one that neg repped me regarding Cannacopia, I suggest you reread my initial post. Grower skill is also a contributor to the success of a grow, that should also be taken into consideration rather than just saying a strain sucked because you didn't care for the genes. I tend to agree with you to a certain extent regarding "you get what you pay for", but sometimes that is not the case. I've purchased dozens of packets of seeds during the past 20 years and will say with confidence that Cannacopia is not a rip off, in fact, far from it.I feel that your comment may be more helpful if you identify the strains that you grew, so others can investigate to see if what you had was a common experience. By the way, I'm not the one who rated your comment as unhelpful, though I do agree with it until you make some clarifications.

cornflake

Veteran
this is not true Bean Cracker.

I am not the only one. I have contacted a reputable grower I saw post in a RKSxDC grow thread that he also grew them out. Miss Blunted ran a grow thread and her experience the same as mine. Very disappointed.

The person I pm'ed will not be revealed unless they want to, as per TOU, and I will ask them to voice if I keep seeing these Cannocopia Strains are great hype.

I saw exceedingly lethargic germination and veg. And low yielding "average" quality bud from the harvest.

What we don't see on this board (very much) is reputable people sharing NEGATIVE experiences. Mostly because they want to be considered for test grows and such, and it's unlikely any breeder will love cornflake for being so forward in his honesty.

What I have seen is people NOT posting end-results and smoke reports and so on, and these people pique my interest and I usually pm them to discuss why they didn't post their result.

The reason has mostly been that the person does not want to say somethng "negative", but I personally have no problems with honesty.

cornflake, I want to clarify a few things with you.

First, I never said that you are the only person with an unfavorable experience. I said you were only one of a few people. That was meant that most have expressed their contentment and a limited number have not.

Second, I asked that you identify the strains that you were unhappy with and you only disclosed the RKSxDC. What was the other strain you were unsatisfied with? I feel more can be accomplished by disclosing the names of the strains rather than inferring that Cannacopia sucks as a whole. I had a very good experience with Govt Mule and was satisfied with LMI for being a $30 strain. Notable growers have also given Cannacopia praise as well, such as a moderator who journaled his LMI experience and our belated Silverback who came full circle of his opinion with Cannacopia.

There's currently a thread regarding the very strain you mention and it is giving props to Cannacopia for RKSxDC. Also, many threads regarding grow logs and testers go unreported and unfinished. I presume it has to do with freeloaders looking for a handout or just the grower not having the time to finish the log itself.

I've grown several strains that expressed veg growth lethargy with low yields and average to below potentcy but I never knocked the breeder inferring they suck. Maybe the discontent can be narrowed to the strain or three that I didn't like, not the entire menu. I know some people that don't like powerful potency and prefer something lighter in the head, to them the smoke is great but to me it is lackluster. It's fine to express dissatisfaction but there is also a proper way to express it.

Next, I don't kiss ass and I'm not a tester for anyone. I've either bought or made my own beans for 20 years now and don't rely on getting my stash by testing for others. I have more than enough to go through of my own to worry about.

Finally, if I disagree with someone, I simply tell them why. What I don't do is give them a negative rating. My initial comments about Cannacopia were linked with Mandala and the other 4/5ths of the post had nothing to do with Cannacopia. Why don't you donate your unused Cannacopia beans to the ICM server fund and help the board and people that do like Cannacopia? Karma goes a long way and negativity just eats at you. I suggest we share information rather than engage in nonsensical bashing.

Peace, BC

MrBaker

My 2 cents...

My 2 cents...

I've gotten what I've paid. Several Nirvana packs of inconsistent, plants without much vigor. Big Buddha blue cheese (fem) were more expensive seeds but the plants were bigger, badder, and pretty much more kick-ass in every way. Although that sampling is limited, the mor expensive seeds were worth it by far.

I'm going to try some Mandala Satori. Mandala is going to represent a middle price range between Nirvana (which was crap, for me) and BB BC :smokeit:

I know plenty of people have had good experience with nirvana, but I didn't. I'll see how the Satori comes out, then try to get something from DJ to test as the more expensive seeds.

I think a lot of it is subject and luck, too. Some people grow gift seeds, or local seeds, and bagseed and love the end results.

stevefrench

Miss Blunted ran a grow thread and her experience the same as mine. Very disappointed.

maybe not stellar results, but i wouldnt say "very disappointed"

We got a 10/10 germ rate, with one plant dying before it ever got it's second node. Out of the 9 we got 4 females, but none were keeper phenos.

I'm really sorry you didn't get germination man...I didn't get a good one on my NYCD's here and my chances are much lower to get what I want for sure. I'm sure I'll have to buy another pack for, shit...like $160. If that pack doesn't do well, I'll be so fucking pissed off.

I think there's a keeper or two to be found in the RKSxDC, I just didn't get one damn it:) Absolutely one of the most beautiful set of plants I've laid my eyes on, ever.

Yield and potency were not what we were looking for unfortunately. Some very, very interesting smells out of our 4 females, all different phenos...2 leaned to DC and 2 leaned to RKS. Lemon, pine, dead skunk smell....may need another carbon filter with this strain ;)

cornflake

Veteran
cornflake, I want to clarify a few things with you.

First, I never said that you are the only person with an unfavorable experience. I said you were only one of a few people. That was meant that most have expressed their contentment and a limited number have not.

Second, I asked that you identify the strains that you were unhappy with and you only disclosed the RKSxDC. What was the other strain you were unsatisfied with? I feel more can be accomplished by disclosing the names of the strains rather than inferring that Cannacopia sucks as a whole. I had a very good experience with Govt Mule and was satisfied with LMI for being a $30 strain. Notable growers have also given Cannacopia praise as well, such as a moderator who journaled his LMI experience and our belated Silverback who came full circle of his opinion with Cannacopia.

There's currently a thread regarding the very strain you mention and it is giving props to Cannacopia for RKSxDC. Also, many threads regarding grow logs and testers go unreported and unfinished. I presume it has to do with freeloaders looking for a handout or just the grower not having the time to finish the log itself.

I've grown several strains that expressed veg growth lethargy with low yields and average to below potentcy but I never knocked the breeder inferring they suck. Maybe the discontent can be narrowed to the strain or three that I didn't like, not the entire menu. I know some people that don't like powerful potency and prefer something lighter in the head, to them the smoke is great but to me it is lackluster. It's fine to express dissatisfaction but there is also a proper way to express it.

Next, I don't kiss ass and I'm not a tester for anyone. I've either bought or made my own beans for 20 years now and don't rely on getting my stash by testing for others. I have more than enough to go through of my own to worry about.

Finally, if I disagree with someone, I simply tell them why. What I don't do is give them a negative rating. My initial comments about Cannacopia were linked with Mandala and the other 4/5ths of the post had nothing to do with Cannacopia. Why don't you donate your unused Cannacopia beans to the ICM server fund and help the board and people that do like Cannacopia? Karma goes a long way and negativity just eats at you. I suggest we share information rather than engage in nonsensical bashing.

Peace, BC

yep I read your response to mine a bit too quickly, I thought you said I was only one ;)

as I have explained, people rarely post negative responses here, at least they get labelled troll and so on

I'm old enough not to be bothered by such things ;)

I still have govt mule and lapis mtn to grow
I grewout bubbaxdc and rksxdc

Ran a grow thread and end result is I was very very annoyed at myself for wasting cash and time on these beans, hence my reason for sharing my experiences ;)

unfortunately there's plenty of hype going on and the sweet lookin pics are making these beans look better than they are

no-one suggested you're a tester, after all you're a new member, obviously you aren't and I explain things to bring an extra dimension to understanding, not to insult

stop being so defensive nobody is having a go at you

as to inferring the breeder sucks, well that's your take

my point is you and others paint Cannocopia $35 beans as being worthwhile

my experience contradicts this

of course had I found the Rotten Meat pheno Braindead found in his RKS I probably would not be posting any of this

Hmmmm, Miss.blunted's opinions, check posts 17 and 18 here - http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=133213&page=2

Do yourself a big favor and don't do that.

I ran this and the bubba cross and they both sucked for yield and potency. You'd be better off blowing $50-60 and getting something decent IMO.

^^Word...move on to other things. I was sooo disapointed with how these ended up for us. We were so disapointed we pulled our NYCD to pop next just so we know we're more than likely getting a good smoking plant and not have to wait forever for nothing.

I am now shy to run the other 2 strains I have from Cannocopia because the 2 I did run were shit.
Wish it wasn't the truth :tumbleweed:

M

medi-useA

got some haze F2 and TopSkunk44 F2's...the parents were purchased from reputable seedbanks,F2's were gifted to me...just harvested my first haze...impressed with wh@I've got considering my growing circumstances...I think 10-15 oz off one plant...might start cracking 5-10@a time...time to start looking for a keeper!...

Wh@'s to look for in these lines?

muA

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ran the Bubba x DC as a test for cannacopia last year and honestly documented the results here.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=99828

Have ran hundreds of purchased seed packs and some official testers under almost identical conditions for over ten years now and the quantified results are a more accurate comparison than most could , or would want to , aquire.

This specific cross is probably flawed on the male side from my own and others results and should i feel be avoided , lucky i did not need the bud from these as there was very little for the 65/125 day investment in space.

Good results however with their C99 x DC which uses the same male and would happily run them again , just like Nirvana and Mandala some are good and some are poor within the range.

If growers fail to document genuine poor results due to genetics then it remains a lottery for the seedbuyer and the breeders that actually care about their product dont get the feedback they need.

groady-ho

as is all-too-common in my life, I succumbed to my
Veteran
I've gotten what I've paid. Several Nirvana packs of inconsistent, plants without much vigor. Big Buddha blue cheese (fem) were more expensive seeds but the plants were bigger, badder, and pretty much more kick-ass in every way. Although that sampling is limited, the mor expensive seeds were worth it by far.

I'm going to try some Mandala Satori. Mandala is going to represent a middle price range between Nirvana (which was crap, for me) and BB BC :smokeit:

I know plenty of people have had good experience with nirvana, but I didn't. I'll see how the Satori comes out, then try to get something from DJ to test as the more expensive seeds.

I think a lot of it is subject and luck, too. Some people grow gift seeds, or local seeds, and bagseed and love the end results.
that;s the problem everything is so subjective..i grew 2 packs of BBBC and thought they sucked compared to the Nirvana WR,ICE and NL i ran yrs. ago..
anyway to me it's like some1 else said a crap either way..

Classic Seeds

Veteran
i have had good and bad luck with cheap seeds,the nice thing about them is you can grow out a lot more to sellect what you want to keep to grow or breed to,there is a company in canada called bcseeds.com you want to see knock off crap at thousands of dollars look at the sight for a laugh,he has sent me most of his exspensive seeds trying to get me to make him beans and he is a photo stealer you can see some of my pictures from my adds on his sight under his stuffs names ,cheese ,kalimist x ak ,fuel i wish i never showed him any kindness or wrote some articles for him but i was trying to help the new med growers with a easy way to get a harvest and do the least work yes i am seattle savior on that dip shits web page hey i found the button that makes paragrhafs

i degress because seeds are lower priced does not make them a bad deal read the description it is usually at least half way accurate and if your looking for stronger strains stay away from any that do not say high thc content a lot off people are selling basicly the same strains for way different prices you need to read the fine print so to speak many fine low priced seeds are talked about through this whole thread

i am glad people have had good luck with kc maybe the beans i got from dr chronic were old because i sure had germination issues but i did with sensi and mr nice from him to so i do not buy anywhere now that i do not get my beans in the breeder pack except for one seed and attitude who have been cool to date when i just want to try one and not a whole pack its a little more spendy that way but you can test way mor strains in your garden

aloha and what ever you grow if you spend a little time making the choice you should be happy with any of the cheaper beans aloha but stay away fro anything that sounds to good 30 to 40 % thc and claims like that or 1000 gram a sg meter if your not sure ask and you will get a hundred answers here i think this whole sight is just to much in a very good way people are all trying to share and that is what seperates us from the animals and airheads we all love good smoke and want others to have the same

MrBaker

that;s the problem everything is so subjective..i grew 2 packs of BBBC and thought they sucked compared to the Nirvana WR,ICE and NL i ran yrs. ago..
anyway to me it's like some1 else said a crap either way..

Oh yeah man, I agree. Complete roll of the genetic dice in many cases. I think that first, a grower has to have a "nice" setup to ensure the beans can get close to their potential, and secondly I think most people would at least hope that more expensive beans would be more consistent, while also hoping that one can save a few bucks and get something cheaper that is still fun/effective.

Maybe in the first place, I just got some old/funky seeds from Nirv. Nirvana is a co-op type situation where multiple people are growing their strains, right? Maybe that lead to the inconsistent stuff I got. Who knows? No matter what choice anyone makes, I wish them luck in finding a kick-ass smoke.

C

cracker420

i feel that any purchased seeds are gonna be way better than most bagseed. but thats just my opinion :) i am usually pooping at least 5 beans a month. i have had my share of duds and killer genetics. i try to stick with the company that isnt $300 a pack yet has consistent pheno's :) so far out of all the bean i have germ'd i have only had 3 seeds not pop (knock on wood)

delerious

I've had good luck with Mandala Satori. I've had more potent strains and higher yielders, but the bang for the buck puts it near the top of my list.

I'm also kind of fond of some of Shanti's strains on the higher end. I was buying cheaper strains from the bay and some other breeders looking at crosses that contained strains I hadn't tried yet, looking mainly to see if there was something I liked in the cross before shelling out the big bucks for the parents.

yoss33

Veteran
I like Nirvana's seeds. I've seen bad results in the high department (overal, not of individual plants) only with strains described as commercial (top44, skunk #1). But all "quality" strains are good, each in its own way.
Sure, they may not be the same as their name mates of other breeders, but I personally want good weed, not a clone of others' AK, or WW or Haze or whatever name.
Many people draw conclusions (good or bad) based on few (un)lucky plants. Many have false expectations for a certain strain, based on noob reviews or, for example, indica stoners reviewing sativas, where hybrids of mediocre high (like PPP) are described as having great sativa high.... sure, after a year of smoking afghan... Such people will easily discard a subtle sativa that requires long cure as "weak", because the microwaved bud didn't hit them like the kushes they adore. Personal preferences differ a lot and people should be very careful when interpreting reviews.
As for the price, I think seeds should be almost free, like a dollar per pack. That's the true price. I don't believe the usual explanation that "a lot of effort is put into making these seeds". I like the cheap ones, where effort has been put "only" for a few millenia and the high-priced labor of highly qualified dutch ex-potheads is not included.