What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hey I'm just introducing myself, almost old timer from the midwest

5Decades

picture.php

JCF

Yeah, Rembetis got me straightened out on the photos, too. I call it on the job training. And yes, nice photo!

choom

hey I know how it feels to be surrounded by horrible weed, having to take matters into your own hands...and also how it feels to miss old strains...I just recently scored some Skunk#1 and UK Cheese crosses along with Asad Kashmiri and Chocolate Thai, and Chocolate Thai crosses.

I am pretty interested in those old seeds you have, information about them would be nice.

5Decades

hey I know how it feels to be surrounded by horrible weed, having to take matters into your own hands...and also how it feels to miss old strains...I just recently scored some Skunk#1 and UK Cheese crosses along with Asad Kashmiri and Chocolate Thai, and Chocolate Thai crosses.

I am pretty interested in those old seeds you have, information about them would be nice.

oh yeah... it took it in my own hands a long time ago, part hobby part skunk was hard to find even when you could get it....stopped around 20 years ago then started again because yeah i miss the old strains etc......i wish i knew where that stuff in the pic was from.. my guess just because of the taste was "buddha thai" the pellet weed from the early 90's, only saw it around for like a year but if i mention it to older peeps they remember big time.... but i collected seeds for a long time, sadly most of them won't pop...i have some in a old jar from skunk era ( i usually only saved from the REALLY good stuff) so i try to pop a few every month or so.. i rarely labeled them.. i have some i wrote 1988 hawaiian on but none will pop..
the one in the pic my cat ate, i brought back to life... had to change the dirt a few times, it's very delicate but really good in a 90's way!!

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
If they're old seeds, try to lightly scuff the outer with a fine grit sand paper or Emery cloth. I've always had good luck with the damp paper towel in between saucers.

Sub24ox7

Scuffing the outside can work. I have tried germinating 1000’s of old old seeds. Scuffing works for seeds that just don’t have the ooomphf to open. The most frustrating is having a bag full of seed that will pop but just stall at the cotyledon and just get taller until they collapse and never produce true leaves. You can put tomato seeds in your cup of water overnight and then remove and place your seeds in same water. Good luck

5Decades

If they're old seeds, try to lightly scuff the outer with a fine grit sand paper or Emery cloth. I've always had good luck with the damp paper towel in between saucers.

yeah tried that and everything else.....i used to have good luck by razor blading the edge off but even that doesn't work... most are from the 80's - 90's......

5Decades

Scuffing the outside can work. I have tried germinating 1000’s of old old seeds. Scuffing works for seeds that just don’t have the ooomphf to open. The most frustrating is having a bag full of seed that will pop but just stall at the cotyledon and just get taller until they collapse and never produce true leaves. You can put tomato seeds in your cup of water overnight and then remove and place your seeds in same water. Good luck

yeah that is the worst!! i had some 70's-80's hawaiian from a friends friend and a few popped then died after a week :(
and def have some skunk era ones that wouldn't pop at all ( i saved skunk ones back then for the future) but even back then the skunk gene was rare (in skunk seed stock) from what i found

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Been on here for a few weeks or so and just saw this introduce yourself forum thing.....I used to grow in the 80's and 90's and started up again because most of the stuff out there sucks.... :D

I guess i have slowly watched a lot of killer strains disappear and it really bums me out. I really miss skunk bud and Dank buds and have been trying to pop some old seeds that have been in a jar for decades...keepin my fingers crossed. But even back in the day that shit wasn't really that easy for most people to get

Any luck with the old seeds? I found a container of columbian red seeds from mid 90's, and people have told me they would never grow. Was the strongest stuff of that decade, that I saw.

5Decades

Any luck with the old seeds? I found a container of columbian red seeds from mid 90's, and people have told me they would never grow. Was the strongest stuff of that decade, that I saw.

I have, i had 3 pop out of a few dozen...think i wrote about it earlier in the thread...only kept the one strain.....
it's definitely worth a try! but remember the flower time on those is prob 6 months:)
i grew some old strains back in the day and the flower time was months and months

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I have, i had 3 pop out of a few dozen...think i wrote about it earlier in the thread...only kept the one strain.....
it's definitely worth a try! but remember the flower time on those is prob 6 months:)
i grew some old strains back in the day and the flower time was months and months

I just threw about 20 in a glass of water.

Yeah, I am spoiled only running GG4 clone since 2015. One month veg and 60 day flower. Also getting 1 gram per watt, trimmed and cured to 63%.

5Decades

I just threw about 20 in a glass of water.

Yeah, I am spoiled only running GG4 clone since 2015. One month veg and 60 day flower. Also getting 1 gram per watt, trimmed and cured to 63%.

good luck with the old seeds!!!!

yeah a lot of them old ones were not big yield at all, but WAY worth it for quality

i grew some panama red indoors in the 90's, think it took 5 months in flower ;)