What's new

Help with breeding plans

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Goal: Refine strain to find best example through small scale breeding.

Space: Single cabinet, room for male-isolation chamber, inspired by a member here.

Strain: Deep Chunk by Richard Williams

use very short veg time, run all original seeds for a seed producing harvest

flower - male shows - cuttings from each male, in cup of water, in HEPA filtered clear chamber and let pollen drop onto glass
mix all pollen together, brush on buds of each plant

give priority to seeds from female with best charictaristics, or treat all equally?

if pollen comes out at two weeks of flowering, should i put it on females immediately?

go through all seeds, possibly running ten per grow, to find good pheno

take cuttings after short veg, put them in low light while original seed plants flower

save cutting from best plant from each run

after 5 runs, run the 5 winner cuts from the seed batch and rate those

***using collodial silver, create feminized pollen from the favorite pheno from the top 5

cross pollen to second best pheno***

continue process with resulting feminized seeds?

Is it possible to use just those few males in the beginning and expect enough variation to make this process worthwhile?

I'm still learning about breeding, but I'm very interested in it, but I don't have a lot of space to work with. Are there any holes in this plan? Will I see results with this method?

(Edit: Maybe if this works out I can cross the super resin producing Deep Chunk to the super bubblehash strain Highend. That won't be for a while though so we'll put that on the back burner.)

Since the Deep Chunk is an IBL, would breeding with the pack of seeds be like using the F1 plants in the picture above? Or would I need to do one more step of seeds?

or am I completely wrong? :badday:

Last edited:

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
You have the making of a fun project there, and long term goals determine how carefully you must proceed. As a private breeder, heck just have fun and do what seems right to ya, do that several times grow out the result, and bring that forward. It is cool and you learn by doing it, if you are smiling, yer doin it right.
H

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
I have no doubt I'll have fun, I've really thought about this and I like it. I'd like to really master one plant and grow it to it's maximum potential, then maybe do that with another, and then make a cross.

I'm just a little unsure if I've got the beginning right, what seeds to use. Should I dust separate branches with diff pollen and track all the combos, or just let them have a big orgy with everyone included?

XyZ

Trichomnia
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey bounty, sounds like a cool project, except the part about feminized. First you say that your Goal is to Refine the strain, paradoxically you write later that you want feminized. Why do you want feminized deep chunk?!? I mean you have a Pure Afghani, something that is still Natural among all indoor hybrids. Creating feminized is just crap for the strain imo' ..keep a special dc pheno in clone rather than making hermie mutants with ionic silver.

an other thing is that you don't need a male isolation chamber if you will later mix all pollen together
...if you mix them together than it's like an open pollination. in this case it's easier to let the males just side by side with the femelas and let them have sex with the wind:)

"give priority to seeds from female with best charictaristics, or treat all equally?
if pollen comes out at two weeks of flowering, should i put it on females immediately?"

~also this questions disappear with an open pollination :D

later when you have lots of dc seeds, than you can start with your "refine mission"
which means keeping clones from all females because the most desired characteristic is the potency/flavor, so first you have to grow them out & smoke ..and make selections based on this observations.
after you find a good female, you also have to find a frosty male (this is a bit more hard because they are rare:)

however, i wish you good luck & have fun ..but keep the line with respect.
peace

XyZ

Trichomnia
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ah one more point i saw now...

"Since the Deep Chunk is an IBL, would breeding with the pack of seeds be like using the F1 plants in the picture above? Or would I need to do one more step of seeds?"

i really recommend that you first read about some bio basics :smile:
DC is an ibl from an afghani land race ..so if you make an other round of seeds.. it will be still an inbred-line
cross it to an other landrace or ibl ..than you get the F1 hybrid
cross 2 F1 together (male/female obviously) and you will get the variety that is showing on the picture up there

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Thank you very much, those were exactly the kind of things I was hoping someone could clear up for me. I know since it's an IBL there won't be huge variety, but I just want a chance to get the best example of that IBL.

Maybe instead of just doing the one strain I should use Deep Chunk and SD IBL. Might be a good combo? No matter what I do I'm looking forward to learning about breeding first hand. Thanks for all the info!

Last edited:

XyZ

Trichomnia
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey bro... i'm not sure about SD if it is a True IBL. Rezdog should know this better.. i'm not sure if he actually inbred a line or was just backcrossing to the original SD mother clone ...and as we know... backcrossing doesn't produce stable offspring if the clone is heterozygous for a certain desired trait.

i would recommend than you cross the chunks to a Pure Sativa & than you will have a lot of fun in the F2 :D

fjällhöga

HazeAddictedFanatic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
a pure sat will make troubles with only 150w in flowering :) [i read ya threads bounty]

maybe you want to go with a Skunk#1 or anything similar stable , like a Dc :chin: :D , and just reproduce them for yourself .... , so you have a never ending supply of beans for leanring and playing ... , just my thoughts on this one

good growing

Fj

fjällhöga

HazeAddictedFanatic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
btw a short veg DO not work for Deep Chunk , its a slow grower with not much vigor .

plan on vegging at least 6-8 weeks with out topping , Lst is doing fine ....

XyZ

Trichomnia
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well Fj is right, i have ignored your light system that i see know in the signature.. was just reading the posts.

and overall, for the Start it's really not smart to use a sativa, the F2 would be like a nightmare rather than fun:)

yes start playing with some skunk... i think we all have started with some skunk crosses :D

Last edited:

fjällhöga

HazeAddictedFanatic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the pure , like xyz suggested is very good to learn ... , just find you a Skunk fem you like , a nice male Dc , cross them and vice versa [ Dc x Sk ] you will find out that you have two different crosses ... :) grow through them and learn ... :smoke:

for me landrace indica´s do it best .. , they bring wonderful breeding material , which is just a joy to work with ...

Fj

fjällhöga

HazeAddictedFanatic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
IMHO you should keep the Sd IBL , you have paid for it , so make beans to preserve it for yourself ...

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
I really appreciate the input, great information.

I would love to get another IBL landrace kind of strain to work with, I can't decide what though. I don't have room for Thai or South American sativas, and I'd like to mix the DC (Afghani) with something else. Do I have many options if I'm buying seeds?

How would African sativas work out? Something like Dutch Passion's Powerplant? It seems like they don't take as much space as Thai's do, but I might be wrong. Any other good landrace indicas available?

Where can I get The Pure? I've read some good things about it, but I can't find it. Again, I really appreciate the help. I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but here's the seeds I have right now.

Sd IBL
Blockhead
Highend

On the way: Deep Chunk

fjällhöga

HazeAddictedFanatic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
HighEnd , Blockhead are very good strains .. ( can only speak for bh, with that i have 2 years of experience in growing and crossing .. , btw i stopped my breeding attempts with it , as im on the hunt for something new and more indica based)

if you cant get the pure from seed bay then visit the seed boutique ,

Another good strain would be Cannabiogens Taskenti , which is also an IBL , Uzbekistan Hashplant x [Uzbeki Hp x NL#5] ,so its a bx-1 and then brought to f8 f9 to stabilize its traits ... , im working right now with this strain ...

but what for you need more strains ??

a good start would be .... [ female x male ]

#1-SdIBL x Dc
#2-Blockhead x Dc
#3-High End x Dc

#1 x #2
#1 x #3
#2 x #1
#2 x #3
#3 x #1
#3 x #2

enough possibilities ??? :D

have fun

Fj

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Sounds great. Should I keep the cut from my finest DC male from the pack of seeds I get in the start and use that, or should I look for males along with females from all the seeds I produce?

I really just wanted to get some good building block strains and with them, build my own strain.

G

I would consider instead of mixing all pollen together to actually brush the individual pollen types onto individual branches and keeping record of which strain cross produced which seeds. You can cut branches off the males close to pollination and collect the pollen individually soon after. Just be very tidy with the job to avoid pollen contamination from the other branches. This has been done with successful results.

If you are going to get your self involved in a lot of work then you don't want to miss any details and results. Keep accurate records. This is one of the cardinal rules of breeding.

fjällhöga

HazeAddictedFanatic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
there´s no need for keeping the males alive when you do your own crosses .. :)

dry , store (fridge or freezer ) your pollen right , dont forget to label it ... and you will be fine , so you can safe a lot of space

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
fj - Thank you for being so patient with my questions and helping me out, I'm very grateful!

Would you gather pollen from each individual plant, pollinate each girl with a couple different males, and keep track of who crossed with who for seeds? The only problem I see with that is most of the pics I've seen of DC are pretty columnar, which wouldn't give a lot of separate locations for different pollinations.

Or would you gather up all the pollen you can from all the males, and dry and store that in a vial after dusting on the buds of the females?

I plan on keeping a lot of notes, but I'm just not sure how specific I want/need to be.

Mr.M

XXI
ICMag Donor
:lurk: I hope you guys don't mind if I pull up a chair. I would like to see how this works out for you bounty29. I also have a pack of DC on the way that I will be playing with in the future. Best of luck with your breeding.
Peace, Mr.M

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
I was gonna come back and edit this post, I wasn't expecting such a quick reply.

Mr.M - You're more than welcome to pull up a chair. I hope these questions help other people, I can't be the only person to wonder about these things.

fj - Do you know of any people that have done any of those crosses you listed? I can't be the first to do this, and I'd love to see what other people are doing.

Breeding is very appealing to me, I would love to refine a strain using various different crosses and make a strain for myself, and maybe a strain for my girlfriend, being in control of the lineage of the plant. Maybe I could pass it on to my kids one day, when it's legal everywhere!

Latest posts

Latest posts