What's new

Help selecting a strain for hot and humid SE Asia

bigtopsfinn

Hello ICmaggers!

I have 3 successful HID indoor grows under my belt, but circumstances have changed and I have moved to Vietnam and might be staying here for a few years. Electricity is very expensive here, and the weather is hot, so I'm thinking my only options are:

Expensive: LED lighting with AC and all the other goodies for indoor growing

Not so expensive: CFL's and fluoro's with AC, using the light at night when I'm home and already using AC.

Cheap: grow on my rooftop

I have some seeds already:
OJD SSSDH (10)
Rez Chemdog x Sour Diesel (10)
KillerChem F2 (5)
Mandala Safari Mix (5)

The dilemma I'm facing is that I think I have some good genetics and want to do right by them. I'd almost rather buy some more seeds that would make more sense to run without perfect conditions.

I'd like some help in choosing a strain (preferably from the Boo so I can use CC) that I could run on my rooftop. I know a haze dominant would probably be the best, however I don't want to have to flower for too long. Mold during the rainy season (fall) is also a concern. Potency is not really a big issue and I'm sure anything I try will be better than the schwag they have here.

I've included a weather chart if it helps at all. Thanks to all who reply, anxiously waiting to hear what you have to say!

NOTE: NO males will be grown out so as to PRESERVE local genetics from possible contamination

image002.gif

I

Iron_Lion

OJD SSSDH (10)
Rez Chemdog x Sour Diesel (10)
KillerChem F2 (5)
Mandala Safari Mix (5)

^ dont pollute Vietnam's gene pool with that stuff.
Check out ACE seeds, they have Vietnamese, Nepalese, Thai, Africans and hazes. You have the climate to grow out some crazy sativas in a natural environment that should show their fullest potential, take advantage of that.

bigtopsfinn

Check out ACE seeds, they have Vietnamese, Nepalese, Thai, Africans and hazes. You have the climate to grow out some crazy sativas in a natural environment that should show their fullest potential, take advantage of that.

:D

I don't think there are any natural land races growing in this area. Too hot and humid, poor soil or then the VC got rid of it all. If I'm not mistaken the local strains are from the mountains in the middle and North of Vietnam.

You're right about the potential of sativas here, but damn I gotta wait at least 5 months before I have anything to smoke!! Would love to get a fast finisher and maybe get a couple of the strains you mention so I don't have to rush things...

Thanks Iron Lion :tiphat:

JamesB0ng

I agree with IL, Go with the Vietnamese, Nepalese, Thai so at least you have a good start and some great strains to grow, good luck Mate!

Phedrosbenny

Trying to have a good day
Veteran
Try Sam the Skunkmans Old school Thai Haze X Skunk 1.That would probably do pretty good there I would think.

I

Iron_Lion

:D

I don't think there are any natural land races growing in this area. Too hot and humid, poor soil or then the VC got rid of it all. If I'm not mistaken the local strains are from the mountains in the middle and North of Vietnam.

You're right about the potential of sativas here, but damn I gotta wait at least 5 months before I have anything to smoke!! Would love to get a fast finisher and maybe get a couple of the strains you mention so I don't have to rush things...

Thanks Iron Lion :tiphat:

Ace Nepalese/Jamaican is 100% sativa that finishes in 9 weeks, also check out the chinese indica.

bigtopsfinn

Damn it I want them all!

Damn it I want them all!

I agree with IL, Go with the Vietnamese, Nepalese, Thai so at least you have a good start and some great strains to grow, good luck Mate!

The Ace Nepal Haze looks interesting with 9-15 week flower times, could find that Indica pheno.

Mango Haze and Kali Mist

I've been interested in Mango Haze and Kali Mist before, but looks like the Mango is out of stock :(

Try Sam the Skunkmans Old school Thai Haze X Skunk 1.That would probably do pretty good there I would think.

Yes! I would love to try some of Sam the Skunkmans stock. That one might be on the top of the list ATM.

I remember seeing there were some of his freebies around but not sure if it was the boo or bay. Just read that thread today and after no smoke in over a month, short term memory still no worky so well :tumbleweed:

Ace Nepalese/Jamaican is 100% sativa that finishes in 9 weeks, also check out the chinese indica.

That Nep/Jam looks really interesting too. But should I pay 50% more for that or take my chances with the cheaper Nepal Haze and hope for that 9 weeker... The chinese indica description says better for places with low humidity which worries me a little.

Right now I'm thinking Sam the Skunkmans OSTH x Skunk1 and one of those Nepalese. I was a little dissappointed with Kali Mist at the coffeeshop in Alkmaar but heard so many good things about, still on the back of my mind.

Thanks for all your replies, very much appreciated! :thank you:

T

tokinafaty420

How would that pollute the gene pool? Hes growing a few plants on top of his home. It isn't like hes tossing hundreds of seeds out in the wild without any intention on culling the males.

Grow whatever you want. Its your time, your seeds and you will be the one smoking it in the end. Just make sure its not indica dominant in a humid environment or you will most surely have mold before its over. I would check sativa leaning hybrids. Still have the indica timeline, but the buds structure is a bit different.

bigtopsfinn

They were at the Bou as freebies.I just got some a month or so ago.

Sweet!

How would that pollute the gene pool? Hes growing a few plants on top of his home. It isn't like hes tossing hundreds of seeds out in the wild without any intention on culling the males.

Grow whatever you want. Its your time, your seeds and you will be the one smoking it in the end. Just make sure its not indica dominant in a humid environment or you will most surely have mold before its over. I would check sativa leaning hybrids. Still have the indica timeline, but the buds structure is a bit different.

Yeah the mold is a major issue. I would be a little worried about the seeds I have (except for maybe the Safari which has more sativas I think) because from the other reports I saw, they seem to have less problems in a perfect environment. Some of the land races and more worked genetics are probably much more forgiving. Always good to have others' opinions especially ones more experienced that myself.

Even if I do keep some males, I think all the Vietnamese strains are hundreds of kilometers away.

Thanks again!

T

tokinafaty420

Sweet!

Yeah the mold is a major issue. I would be a little worried about the seeds I have (except for maybe the Safari which has more sativas I think) because from the other reports I saw, they seem to have less problems in a perfect environment. Some of the land races and more worked genetics are probably much more forgiving. Always good to have others' opinions especially ones more experienced that myself.

Even if I do keep some males, I think all the Vietnamese strains are hundreds of kilometers away.

Thanks again!

Please be careful if you plan on keeping males. Iron_Lion brought up a serious issue, just one I didn't think you were going to contribute to. However, if males are involved plan ahead and do your research. Pollen can travel for miles in the air currents.

bigtopsfinn

Please be careful if you plan on keeping males. Iron_Lion brought up a serious issue, just one I didn't think you were going to contribute to. However, if males are involved plan ahead and do your research. Pollen can travel for miles in the air currents.

Very true and a good point. Just brought it up since I'm pretty sure nothing grows around here. But I think I could be close enough where it has even a slight a possibility of being an issue. Now that you mentioned it, better not fuck around, NO MALES :)

HeD333

AFAIK you can still get sk1xohaze at the bou as a freebie. I requested a pack with my last order ~1 week ago, and got it.

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just wondering, what is the legality of Cannabis growing there?

Do they cut your head off if you get caught and don't have enough bribe cash or what?

For a strain that is potent and fast with plenty of sativa in it you should check out the Cindy 99 F2's from Gypsy. https://www.seedboutique.com/store/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=25&products_id=2215

That strain could make you a very happy camper, big yielder too.

SOL Sweet Skunk (fem) https://www.seedboutique.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=1131
could be your ticket to paradise also it is one of the best strains on planet earth. Plus, no males!
:canabis:

bigtopsfinn

AFAIK you can still get sk1xohaze at the bou as a freebie. I requested a pack with my last order ~1 week ago, and got it.

Great news thanks!

Just wondering, what is the legality of Cannabis growing there?

Do they cut your head off if you get caught and don't have enough bribe cash or what?

For a strain that is potent and fast with plenty of sativa in it you should check out the Cindy 99 F2's from Gypsy. That strain could make you a very happy camper.

SOL Sweet Skunk (fem) https://www.seedboutique.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=1131
could be your ticket to paradise also it is one of the best strains on planet earth. Plus, no males!
:canabis:

A bribe should do it in the worst case scenario. My wife's a local so that helps too. They are much more worried about opium here. It'll be a small grow, just two or three plants at a time to start. Planning on filling up the rooftop with many other plants for camouflage. Still a lot to think about but a definitely another good point and something we'll look into more.

As for the seeds you mentioned, C99 has been something on my mind for a long time now. I'm a little uneasy about fems, but Legends has a good reputation around here and something to consider for sure.

need4weed

Veteran
I find it hard to believe that you are only getting schwag in vietnam! surely you must be able to get some nice ol school sativa that blows your mind......surely

bushweed

Veteran
What is this a joke?

What is this a joke?

The shit I got in Vietnam was simply mind blowing and eqivalent to 10 bucks an oz. That you'd even consider growing imported Indica heavy hybrids in a place with such superlative gear and incredible sativa growing conditions - is incompre-fucken-hensible. Whoever says otherwise needs their head read. Check the big picture - the potential for polluting the natural genepool means that what your considering is straight up criminal. Many a master breeder incl. Sam the Skunkman have expressed their disgust at this very scenario - ignoramuses taking their over-hyped western hybrids and fucking up unique ecosystems.

The following quote from AceSeeds:
"Our planet is suffering a constant lost of genetic diversity and Cannabis is not an exception. It is our responsibility to save all these unique forms of life, and to maintain and preserve the biodiversity.

The pure landrace varieties, which are the origin of all the domesticated varieties, are a prime example of the amazing adaptation of cannabis to the different ecosystems of our planet, and the millenary and instensive relationships with human race.

The pure varieties are disappearing for reasons, such as elimination of natural habitats, war, loss of ancestral cultures, genetic contamination, globalization and laws prohibiting research and use of this plant almost around the world."

Why don't you get out and find some of the psychedelic shit that grows there naturally and help support the local growers - none of this dumb ass shit.

bigtopsfinn

I find it hard to believe that you are only getting schwag in vietnam! surely you must be able to get some nice ol school sativa that blows your mind......surely

The place I'm currently living isn't a touristy area and frankly I haven't even looked around for it. I just went by online reports I have seen and it looks like the good stuff is in Cambodia and Laos, not here. Guess there's no way to know until I try it out. My wife tells me the locals selling are the scum of the society and not people that I or my wife want to deal with in any way.

The shit I got in Vietnam was simply mind blowing and eqivalent to 10 bucks an oz. That you'd even consider growing imported Indica heavy hybrids in a place with such superlative gear and incredible sativa growing conditions - is incompre-fucken-hensible. Whoever says otherwise needs their head read. Check the big picture - the potential for polluting the natural genepool means that what your considering is straight up criminal. Many a master breeder incl. Sam the Skunkman have expressed their disgust at this very scenario - ignoramuses taking their over-hyped western hybrids and fucking up unique ecosystems.

The following quote from AceSeeds:
"Our planet is suffering a constant lost of genetic diversity and Cannabis is not an exception. It is our responsibility to save all these unique forms of life, and to maintain and preserve the biodiversity.

The pure landrace varieties, which are the origin of all the domesticated varieties, are a prime example of the amazing adaptation of cannabis to the different ecosystems of our planet, and the millenary and instensive relationships with human race.

The pure varieties are disappearing for reasons, such as elimination of natural habitats, war, loss of ancestral cultures, genetic contamination, globalization and laws prohibiting research and use of this plant almost around the world."

Why don't you get out and find some of the psychedelic shit that grows there naturally and help support the local growers - none of this dumb ass shit.

It's good to hear that there is some possibility for good herb here, but I would be very hesitant to look around for it. I would much rather grow it myself knowing what's in it and who grew it. Of course there's always a chance that I meet a great hookup, but like I said above, I'd rather go smokeless than deal with the low-lifes.

As to your other comments bordering on trollish, maybe a quick read through the thread would have saved you some typing. I even bolded the NO MALES part. How would I be contaminating the gene pool?

You sound very angry for some reason, maybe take a toke? :joint:

Latest posts

Latest posts