What's new

Help Me Pimp My Strat, I Can't Decide which MJ Leaf Looks Best

Help Me Pimp My Strat, I Can't Decide which MJ Leaf Looks Best

• Total voters
L

LolaGal

I like #3 myself

thanks for postin! I am kinda partial to the green one too.

heehee, you know what they say about people whose fave color is green? ;)

I am sure it is true.. lol.

oh, crap, here we are in music forum, where no one ever comes.

I am sooooooo tired of my threads being moved to languish in the the nether regions of IC Mag.

It really makes me feel unwanted.. I just wanted a little help making up my mind and now I am stuck here where all you hear are hollow echoes floating down the cavernous emptiness of the music forum.

It is sorta like Mammoth Cave...

Here let me play a little Johnny Cash tune and liven it up in here.

[Lola straps on her SQUIER Stratocaster and begins to wail out How High's the Water Pappa?

She said it 2 feet high and risin']

Nope that don't feel right I need to play a good cheatin song by Hank Williams

Capo: 1st Fret Key: F# Play: F
Now you're [F] lookin' at a gal that's gettin' kind-a mad
I had lot's of luck but it's all been bad
No [C7] matter how I struggle and strive
I'll never get out of this world a-[F] live.

My fishin' pole's broke the creek is full of sand
My man run away with another woman
No matter how I struggle and strive
I'll never get out of this world alive.

A [Bb] distant uncle passed away [Bb7] and [F] left me quite a batch [F7]
And [Bb] I was livin'g high until that fatal [Bb7] day
A lawyer [C7] proved I wasn't born
I was only hatched.---[F]

Ev'rything's agin' me and it's got me down
If I jumped in the river I would prob'ly drown

These shabby shoes I'm wearin' all the time
Are full of holes and nails
And brother if I stepped on a worn out dime
I bet a nickel I could tell you if it was heads or tails.

I'm not gonna worry wrinkles in my brow
'Cause nothin's ever gonna be alright nohow

(ADDITIONAL VERSES)
I could buy a Sunday suit and it would leave me broke
If it had two pair of pants I would burn the coat

If it was rainin' gold I wouldn't stand a chance
I wouldn't have a pocket in my patched up pants
I'll never get out of the Music Forum alive.

YEEHAW!

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I didn't vote because I find it a bit silly.
I only responded because I know a bit about them, and it seemed as if you were confused and thought maybe you had an expensive sought after collectors item, when in reality you have a very low end beginners guitar.
It also was a segue to what I thought was an interesting story about a true collectors model guitar that was actually intended to be a low end beginners level guitar. Sort of the opposite of your story.
:dunno:

What did you expect, this is after all a mj site.
Well, I guess you did include the pot leaf pick guards...which btw it was mentioned they don't always fit..welcome to the world of aftermarket copies.
And if you actually had the opportunity to play an actual Strat side-by-side with a Squire, you would actually realize that there is no substitute for the real deal.

L

LolaGal

The story of my first Fender Stratocaster

The story of my first Fender Stratocaster

I thought this was a cool story, so I will tell ya'll.

When I was in grade school, I wanted to learn to play the guitar.

Christmas was coming, and Mommy Dearest told me to pick out my present from the Sears Wish Book Catalog, and she would order it.

I was told how much I could spend, and I had lots of fun looking through that catalog and deciding.

They had a Sears Brand acoustic guitar listed for $29.95. It was a beginner kit deal with strap and an instruction book.

I told My Mom that I wanted this guitar for Christmas, and she made out an order and mailed it in to the Sears Company in Chicago Illinois.

I just could not wait to get my hands on that acoustic guitar and start playing. I wore that catalog out looking at it and reading it.

Weeks passed, and finally word came that the package had arrived at the local Sears store.

My Mom and sister and I went to the Sears store, but only my sister's part of the package arrived! My guitar had not come.

A few more weeks went by, Christmas school break was almost over, and still no guitar! Finally word came that there was another package. Woohoo!

When I got to the store, sure enough there was a guitar shaped box, but it said Fender on it. I had only been expecting some Sears brand guitar that I ordered! I was not a stupid kid, and I kept my mouth shut at the Sears store, and lugged my package back to the family's Plymouth Fury.

I could hardly wait to get home to unwrap my new guitar. It turned out that Sears had no guitars like I had ordered, and had substituted an electric Fender Stratocaster for the acoustic guitar that I had ordered for $29.95.

I was a happy happy kid, and I danced around. Unfortunately, there was no amp included! My Mom offered to send it back to Sears, since I could not play it, but I would not hear of it!

So it took me all summer babysitting to earn enough money to get my first little Amp.

Santa Claus must work at Sears and Roebuck in Chicago Illinois... hahaha

L

LolaGal

I didn't vote because I find it a bit silly.
I only responded because I know a bit about them, and it seemed as if you were confused and thought maybe you had an expensive sought after collectors item, when in reality you have a very low end beginners guitar.

What did you expect, this is after all a mj site.
Well, I guess you did include the pot leaf pick guards...which btw it was mentioned they don't always fit..welcome to the world of aftermarket copies.
And if you actually had the opportunity to play an actual Strat side-by-side with a Squire, you would actually realize that there is no substitute for the real deal.

Heehee, I PAID for this guitar, so I really had no illusions about it being a highly sought after collectible.

I simply stated that this is one of the BEST SQUIERS on the market as far as being manufactured by Cort for Fender.

If you can expert me up on how the 20th anniversary edition model differs from the others, please educate me up. That is what I want is someone that is smarter than me at researching. My dialup is too slow to find out much of anything.

I really think this particular guitar sounds as good as my Fender 70s Stratocaster, which is very similar looking guitar to the lefty Squier I bought when I broke my wrist.

There was some nerve damage that left my fingers a little numb, too numb to note on the fretboard any more...

so that is why I bought the only lefty guitar in the store.

ALL: I am glad it is one of the best ones made... yippie. Thanks for the info and the SN check. I went to the web site and read the reports. and stufff. cool.

I still don't know much about the 20th anniversary edition though.

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't want to mess with my righty Fender Strat. It is too old to screw around with. It is from the early 70s I think. not sure.

you dont have to mess with the 70s (big headstock yeah?) strat... i definately think you misunderstood me.

when i say "flip it over" i mean flip it over and restring it the way a left hand guitar would be strung - check out how the strings were strung on the righty strat in this pic - thats what im talking about.

url

well, i guess you would want to change out the nut if you were to flip it over... but those are only like $14 at MF
http://accessories.musiciansfriend....-XL-Fender-Style-Slotted-Nut-LEFTY?sku=712818
then you would have 2 guitars for you to use lefty style... and even have them in different tunings (my fav is DADF#AD btw) so you dont have to stop the show to tune inbeween songs

anyways... goodluck with whatever you do.
just turn the amp up all the way and let er rip :blowbubbles:

ROJO145

Veteran
Yeah but THATS a Fender Greyskull!!Imjust sayin,,,,,,,,everything about them is different,materials,wood,quality of construction,dont for one second think there aint any difference between the 200 hundge squire and an actual fender.And I dont like any of them guards bye the way,not my style,Im oldschool,gimme a sunburst finish and a black pickguard!!
My acoustic is a Fender,my electric is a Gibson,I dream of owning the J-45 someday:wave:
strats are tin can sounding and have no soul like a les paul imo,I love my melody maker.

L

LolaGal

i still can't make up my mind. I was hunting some more sites that have new pickguards that are similar.

I am teaching myself to read music. It is going pretty good.

Greyskull

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah but THATS a Fender Greyskull!!Imjust sayin,,,,,,,,everything about them is different,materials,wood,quality of construction,dont for one second think there aint any difference between the 200 hundge squire and an actual fender.And I dont like any of them guards bye the way,not my style,Im oldschool,gimme a sunburst finish and a black pickguard!!
My acoustic is a Fender,my electric is a Gibson,I dream of owning the J-45 someday:wave:
strats are tin can sounding and have no soul like a les paul imo,I love my melody maker.

oh no i agree the american made guitars are made of superior woods (thats why an american strat wieghs more than a MIJ/T/etc) and electronics. but c'mon - whats a regular person with a squire strat supposed to call it? shit, i call my G&L custom shop ASAT (w/seymour duncan '59 in the neck btw) a 'tele' rather regularly....

single coils are just different than humbuckers... kinda like sativas and indicas. whether we have a preference for one over the other or not, both are capable of producing good usable tones... its just a matter of preference and application... and the hands doing the playing, of course.

.... as long as the amplifiers being used have both tube preamps & power amps!!!!!!

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some great transistor amps with the tube sound now. Hard to beat a Marshal stack full of tubes though....

Greyskul, can the nut just be turned around? I have only restrung one strat that my brother owns and never messed with the nut. I never knew too much about the nut until I fixed up an old Gibson ES I have to play slide. I got schooled a bit about the nut.

Lola, if you do want to change the nut, here is a great little tutorial...
http://www.weedsellit4u.com/ContentPages/HowToos/Measure_Nut.aspx

When we talk about the woods used, a Squire may look identical to it's real Fender counterpart, but the Fender may be made of poplar or mahogany, while the identical looking squire would more likely be laminated plywood stacked, glued, and cut.

Greyskull

ICMag Donor
Veteran
haha i didnt think of trying to turn it around... its only for the purpose of having the string slots sized correctly for the strings running thru them...
i have always swapped out he stock nuts on the lower end guitars for the graphtechs it was a subliminal suggestion (your guitar will sound so much better with the better nut REALLLY)

ill admit i used to totally hate line 6 amps they sounded great to tape but whenever you needed to get them going over a descent drummer the crispness/clarity/cut was lost... not they teamed with bogner so they have the digital front end amped up with the tube power section... that pretty much fixed what i didnt like about them. but ill take my 78 50w jmp any day of the week

L

LolaGal

thanks for the advice, but I am going to keep the righty strat as it is, retired! ;)

Seriously, I could turn out the lites, and play both the Fender and the
Squier, and ya'll would not be able to tell the difference in the dark!

Every now and then you find a guitar that sounds better than most, dunno if it is who put it together or what?

This Lefty Strat is such a guitar.... very good sound.

and oh my god! What is this tag I found that was attached to the neck of the lefty when I bought it?????? IT IS A fender bumper sticker........ heeheehee

Latest posts

Latest posts