What's new

Help me pick a light

acidnI_livE

i have the same space restrictions as you and from trial and error a 175 cfm fan will not cool the bulb good enough to keep temps down.

i always go with the best 6 inch fan for my hoods, i used to have a eco plus six inch on a 400 watt and it cooled it alright not great though actually i had to impemetn co2 cause of how high the temps were.

i bought a 6" vortex @ 457 cfm and bough a 600 watt futer brite. it cools the 600 watter that is in the super sun 2 reflector great the glass is cool to the touch, but i draw air in from my 65-68 degree basement for the hood.

i use any ol' cheepo 4 inch hooked to a carbon filter for the room it is seperate.

if you run that light with a small 4" 175 cfm fan and hook the filter inline in there somewhere you are definatly goin to have heat issues

get a phat hydro carbon filter or the new line by hydrofarm (both under 50 bucks. and use this filter independantly with the 4" fan

then if you havent bought the 400 watt yet dont and go with the 600 watt futer brite. (i keep this in the room and the futer brites ar the coolest runnin hands down, the ballas stays the same temp whether its on and running or off. seriously) they got the on sale for $285.00 withthe bulb of your choice (hortilux super NRG<---best @95k lumens, venture, etc.

go to indoor-gardening . com and then get the number and call them up cuz their page is not been updated for years. its a local shop that i frequent 2-3 times a week and they have every nutrient you could think of its one of the biggest hydro store in the country. and theywill hook you up with some amazing deals

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
varriform, I would seriously consider doing a vertical cool tube. It is going to give you so much more growing space in any given area. I have just changed over from horz. to vert. and to me, there is no comparison. I won't even consider a hood now, knowing it is just robbing me of grow space.
And for sure, I would stick with the CMH idea. This fall I will be replacing the lower 150hps in my dual vert to a 400 CMH and leaving the top 150hps as supplemental.

Prices for prebuilt tubes are outrageous so you may want to consider a DIY, if you consider it at all.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
varriform said:
If I my tent was 39inX39inX78in could I do without an aircooled reflector? Just relying on normal exhaust

With a lamp 250 or smaller, yes. 400 or larger? I don't know.

varriform said:
Aircooled is always better right....yeah

Not necessarily. The glass cuts as much as 10% of the light depending on who you ask. However, a tube allows for a larger lamp in a smaller space thus making up for the light lost travelling through the glass.

Note bigger lamps mean bigger fans mean bigger noise. What are your stealth concerns if any?

rafe

Get a 400 watt that will use a metal halide for veg and HPS for flower. I got a new one on ebay for $140 with a bulb. Very nice.

varriform

Thanks everybody
Well, I really don't have to many stealth or security issues. I've always just grown pretty open in a closet with my 150's and oscilating fans. I'm just thinking I should go a little more discreet just to cover my ass. Hopefully keep light in a closet and not shining into a bedroom, and try to wipe out smell while I'm at it, you know. I kinda feel like I am asking to get busted, because my whole house stinks at times.

varriform

Okay, so here's where it stands. I'm going to list what I have and have planned, and everybody chime in.

Since I already have a homebox lite I am just going to use that even though it's not light proof, but it will still be in a closet. Plus I have some sunleaves reflecting stuf if I can line it. I have a 175cfm inline and an Elf filter. I am going to order a 400w hps from HTG but not a cooltube. I might upgrade when I can afford it. I have a stanley blower if I need it for some reason.
So,
400w HPS open reflector
175cfm inline
Elf carbon filter
Homebox lite lined with sunleaves reflect

Eh???

peace

acidnI_livE

you sound just like me a couple years ago. wanting to put a pre-fab grow box or tent into a closet.

well this is what happend i spent the money on the steel cabinet and did it up my self, then put it into the closet. well i had to still exhaust the closet for the air to be cool enough in the cab/tent.

then like a ton of bricks it hit me!!!! fuck the cab in the closet setup,and the restrictions of space the tent/cab created and just use the closet itself!!

that meant i could go with a biggger light and it was easier to cool the bigger light in the open closet than it was to cool the cab down with the smaller light. more light right there.

then you get extra space to grow in and you would still have to cut the same amount of holes in walls and or ceilings and floors. right cuz you just not going to stick the box in there and let it be right?? hell no you have to be able to get rid of the hot air surrounding the tent so you have to exhaust the tent with ducting out of the closet. so its just more of a better idea if you are using the tent for the fact that you have light shinning through the closet door do this

cut a nice straight peice of black and white poly tack it up on the inside of the closet door frame like where the trim for the door is and get a "tarp zip-up" and put it in place and then once its stuck unzip it and cut straight down with a razor. VOILA!! instand light proofing. for yo' closet.

my $.02

remember i was in the exact same scenario as you are in now and this is what will work better not sayin the tent within the closet is not going to, but this will much better work. more space to use, can use bigger lights (more bud) and the space is bigger so it will be a littel easier to cool also. and 600 watt grown buds are all that and more than 1000 watt growns. i can get my 600 watter 6" fromthe canopy if i want to and not even blink at the thought of temp going crazy. but i like it a little higher like 12"-14" from canopy to spread light better. all you need is a well designed hood and a quality fan for the hood. either elicent or vortex. these are the only ones that ruely do the cfms that they say they do. i like the elicents but the vortex fans got more balls elicent 6" is less than 400 CFM'S and the votex is 457 CFM'S and yes you must go digital ballast preferabley the future brites cuz they are the coolest running and longest lasting on the market ive had FB digi's going steady 24 hours on in the veg room (400 watt) for 28 months and not a problem at all. sme goes with all my ballast which are all FB's.

go to www.indoor-gardening.com it is a store called harsvest moon. the web page hasnt been updated in years . i visit there a lot and they have every product every companie in the hydro bizz has to offer and future brites are made locally here and you will get a good deal on one if you call the store up, cuz future brite is starting to make all thier ballast look like the galaxy ones but they will have fans in them still and are still the coolest running, they just are adding the resin layer for rf interference, and the older ones dont have the resin and you should be able to grabb a 600 watt with any bulb you hant for 280 bucks. i did!

acidnI_livE

think it all over on paper first and draw up the setups one with the tent in the closet and one with just the closet being used as the grow space. then you sit back and think good and hard on each paper/setup and get down on paper everything you would need to buy or do to make each setup work the best, and yeild the most. i think you will find that once you tackle this scenario in this manner you will have a super clear image in your head on exactly what will work best and most logical way to do it.

morel than likely you will want the 600 watter in the open closet W/O the cab/tent in there.

varriform

Of course I want the 600w but I don't know if I really need it. I only grow for myself and honestly the 2 150w's I have now yield well enough to handle my consumption. I really just wanna upgrade to produce better buds and maybe a little more.
I already have the 39inch tent so I might as well use it. I use part of my closet to store my soil mixes and such so I don't wanna use all that room anyways.

varriform

I do def see what you're saying though. That was my original plan but I realized I would have to find a place to store my 3 rubbermaid bins of soiless mix and my bail of peat.
I appreciate the help of course

acidnI_livE

sotre them in the basement or another closet in the house . ij swear to god we must be like "bizzaro worlds" seinfield episode. ya know where eilane meets jerry, george, and kramer counter parts and starts hanging around them, but they are exactly the same . i dunno if you got that

i also have a bale of promix and many bags of FFOF, and light warrior. and i was going to keep them in my old idea closet that had the cab in it but you know i scapped that idea and went with the whole closet route. so i think where the hell is all my grow medium goin to go (bales, bags-o-soil, rockwool,etc)

i just put them in another closet in the house (4 bedroom) or down in the basement.

cheers!!

acidnI_livE

if storage for the tubs of mix is the limiting factor for you and basically forcing you to use the tent within the closet, it would be a no brainer for me: id just store the tubs somewhere else. becase if i have a lite running and i can get more grow area out of the floor space and be using the same light you will probably at least increase your yeild 25%-50% even if you dont use the 600 watt light and only get a 400 you will still see the benifits of the extra square footage.

your current setup yeilds well enough for you, great. but no one and i mean no one can ever have too much marijuana,lol

dont shoot yourself in the foot and put tight restrictions on your grow space, it only lead ot problems with environmental factors like maintaining an steady and constant temperature, humidity and ventilation. it is harder to get these factors dialed in when you put a cab/or tent within a very small room/closet.

most issues with plant not yielding or getting dense or filling out or whatever are becasue of the environmental factor i mentioned. usually always.

work smarter not harder.

what is your current setup if you dont mind me asking.

mine (personal grow, not my commercial grow) is a closet with a 250 watt digital future brite ballasts, a 400 watter and 600 watter all FB. i just unplug the socket from one ballast and stick in in the other when i change wattages for different stages of growth, and of course the bulb gets change to correspond to the ballast im using.

i veg with the 250, and then last week of veg i run the 400, then when i flip to flower i runn the 600. (i upgraded to a 600 a couple months ago, thats probably answers your question of why i have all them ballast in one little closet, i just had the 250 and 400 before, and when i got the 600 i just kept it in there)

the hood is the super sun 2 my sunlight supply (new gasketed model) which is ducted with 6" ducting that draws coolair frome the basement and gets pulled through the reflector and blown out the other end by a vortex 6" into the attic.

i have two 4" holes cut into the floor also for the atmosphere. the holes are on each side of the closet floor with backdraft damppers in the holes and 4" axial (computer) 120v fans rated @ 125 cfm and in the cielling there is a 4" eco plus inline duct blower rated @ 170 cfm attached to a "PHAT HYDRO" carbon filter. and the rooms atmosphere gets pulled through the filter and blown into the attic. the ventilation comes on every 3 minutes for 75 seconds ( the two 4" fans and the 4" eco;us w/carbon filter) i used to use co2 but found that almost constant ventilaton woks better in my closet than closing the fans down for 30 minutes while the room is saturated with co2, then venting it all out for 2 mins then when they shut down more co2 came in. i like the more frquent ventilation than the co2 and it yeilds the same.

flucuation in co2 levels is the death to enrichment, so until i get a fuzzy logic real time co2 monitor/controller i am not using co2.

other than that temps in the lights on are 75 or less and at lights off are 64-68.

soilless mix 12 plant sog with wappa going on now. last run was 3 speed queens in 5 gallon bucket of fox farms ocean forrest. it was an "all organic grow". this time im using up my AN stuff and giving the plant the whole 2+ program. let me tell you these plants grown with it are crazy frosted

thats my setup.

cheers.

acidnI_livE

my commercial grow is 15k flood and drain in rockwool blocks ( 6") sog. to much to get into. but my home hobby spot is where the buds get the utmost quality of care and where all MY smoke that I smoke comes from. the big commercial everyone else gets to smoke. but i and me girlfriend is sho smoke the closet grown erb.

also where i might start a breeding program in the future.

varriform

acidnI_livE said:
sotre them in the basement or another closet in the house . ij swear to god we must be like "bizzaro worlds" seinfield episode. ya know where eilane meets jerry, george, and kramer counter parts and starts hanging around them, but they are exactly the same . i dunno if you got that

i also have a bale of promix and many bags of FFOF, and light warrior. and i was going to keep them in my old idea closet that had the cab in it but you know i scapped that idea and went with the whole closet route. so i think where the hell is all my grow medium goin to go (bales, bags-o-soil, rockwool,etc)

i just put them in another closet in the house (4 bedroom) or down in the basement.

cheers!!

LOL yeah I got it

varriform

My current grow is just pushed over to the side of a closet that measures about 4x4. I run 2 150w hps enclosed ballasts side by side. A stanley blower blowing into ducting into the addict . Oscilating fan and that's it. 2 industrial size trash bags are cut open and covering door way to help with light protection during lights off when the door is closed. I just leave the door open when the lights are on.

So say I don't use a tent. How would control the temps in my closet without cutting anymore holes in the house. I can't really cut any in the floor since I am on second floor.

Latest posts

Latest posts