What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help me name my boat!

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
how did that tradition get applied to boats ? strange game.

if youre talkin about Square Grouper.. it is, 'name the boat'.
Its a name for a boat. not the application of tradition to a boat, kinda like naming it after your daughter or wife or dog or boobie bouncer (I like that one)...

N

noyd666

FOUR TWENTY.
picture.php

Haven't been around much, but really loving some of these names! I've only got one photo of it without the ID numbers displayed... here she is, in all of her glory.....

IZl18hq.jpg

I've since sanded it down to *mostly* bare metal. Once I get it coated in primer and painted, I'll post up some photos before I stick on the state ID tag. Probably gonna end up painting it green/white and the trailer black.

But really, the color ultimately ends up being chosen based off my decided name. Still undecided about that, probably won't choose until after she's coated in primer.

I'll be converting it into a semi-bass boat. Gonna deck out the front 2/3 of the boat, cover it in carpet, below deck storage, possibly a live-well, sound system.... should be pretty sweet when I'm done!

Here's a sample of a DIY deck that can be put in, not very difficult to construct, really.

b0368f9a-c76b-44a4-aca6-25101d7ab10a_zps75e71488.jpg

DrFever

Veteran
if youre talkin about Square Grouper.. it is, 'name the boat'.
Its a name for a boat. not the application of tradition to a boat, kinda like naming it after your daughter or wife or dog or boobie bouncer (I like that one)...

YUP when i thought of that was remembering taking a GF out years ago and her boobs were a bouncing lol
Boobie Bouncer cause being aluminum and the size when you start hitting waves she will be bouncing like a MOFO

Not my dog up there, by the way. That was a photo of another SmokerCraft mod that I stole to show what I plan on doing with mine! Still haven't even applied primer to mine, been in the upper 70's all week and I been on the water everyday.

I did find a website that makes reproduction stickers, so I'll be getting new SmokerCraft stickers for the boat after painting. Should be getting a few days of rain coming up this weekend so I'll likely get some paint down then.

Still need to do a little more sanding inside, but the exterior is ready for paint. Gonna take her out this evening, hopefully get a decent catch. Been slow so far this year for me.

11182092_10101091131066714_597600774998019721_n.jpg

Took longer than expected, and I'm still not done with the exterior - just gotta do some touch-up work but I've pretty much moved on to the interior now.

Painted the trailer black as well, minus a few trim pieces I still need to paint. Got some rattle-can paint for those rusted out wheels as well.

Starting a template on the deck, this was just a trial run - I'm gonna need some thinner cardboard like cereal boxes. Basically just getting the design so I can trace it onto the plywood I'll be using for the deck then cutting it out.

Kinda need to get the framework in before I try a template anyway to keep it level.

Attachments

• 11304459_10101113994408394_132740427_n.jpg
    11304459_10101113994408394_132740427_n.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 11303415_10101113994478254_1528600842_n.jpg
    11303415_10101113994478254_1528600842_n.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 11119821_10101113994518174_1860079644_n.jpg
    11119821_10101113994518174_1860079644_n.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 19

DrFever

Veteran
You should of started inside out ,, what i would of done is gutted inside of boat brased it then took it out and got it glass beaded complete boat inside and out brought it home high solid primer sealed it ,, possibly scotch guard certain walk way areas then painted inside ,, re due all seats with new ply wood and upholstery replace all screws / nuts n bolts with stainless once inside was done then mask and tape that all off ,
block out outter body re high solid primer it mask n paint :)
that is how i roll :)

I was gonna do the inside first initially, but I'm not actually doing that much. 2/3 of it will have a carpeted deck over it, the rest I was going to coat with a rubber truck bedding, but apparently the roll on stuff is pretty rough on the skin.... so probably just some paint, rod holders, running lights. Maybe a fish finder, who knows? But yea, can't really flip it over as easily/gently with a deck in it.

Only have 800lb capacity max, including motors/fuel/gear. Just doing a basic bass boat mod. Was at the boat shop getting parts for my motor and seen some of them newer aluminum boats... 1680's! I thought my 1457 was a pretty good size for a tin, boy was I wrong.

But, doing the outside first gives the paint time to cure, while I work up top. I want it back in the water ASAP, so I expect this project to finish up this week. Just need to get some 2x2's for the frame and some angle brackets to tie it to the boat. Mostly just wanted to make her look pretty, as its my first boat. A little functionality will be adding as weight allows.