What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help me design my new grow cab

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
Still learning

Still learning

about light height, calibrating instruments, equipment glitches etc.

Had the lights too low and started bleaching top leaves so I measured the heights, raised them up and am now tracking that.

Light timers suddenly? stopped working correctly after a month so I had to reset and reprogram them.

I have an in cabinet device that reads temps and humidity, I have a sensor for another device that reads temps and humidity remotely and then I have a separate controller for temp (controls the A/C) and a humidity controller (controls the mister). Trying to get a handle on what these are all reporting when I'm not there everyday is a bitch!!

The other day I spent four hours watching the whole thing work. Keep in kind that it is not particularly hot yet and the A/C is not running a lot but there is a constant struggle between the A/C cooling and removing moisture and the mister trying to replenish the removed humidity. And all the instruments report different values (this is not surprising to me) so I'm not sure at this point what values to believe - kind of have to watch the plants and see what makes them happy.

Wish I could get a better handle on that as it seems to me to be wasted energy/electricity and yet for this space may be the as good as I can get it.....

Stoned observations, need much more time and much more experience with this..........

Coba

Veteran
"Light timers suddenly? stopped working correctly after a month so I had to reset and reprogram them."

first thing that comes to my mind is a power flicker. do they have a battery? put them on a ups battery back up if not.

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
"Light timers suddenly? stopped working correctly after a month so I had to reset and reprogram them."

first thing that comes to my mind is a power flicker. do they have a battery? put them on a ups battery back up if not.

No they are awesome little timers with a very good built in battery (have to see if it can be replaced though). I suspect I fat fingered both when checking the programming around Daylight Savings Time.

They have a built in feature to compensate for that but I never trust technology until I've tested it. Unfortunately there are only 4 buttons, very fine print instructions and not much light where the cabinet is so I'm fairly sure it's my fault. I've kind of resolved to take a head lamp in with me for all future visits so I can be surer of what I'm seeing.....

Kizane21

You can move your light closer.

actually just did that few minutes ago before reading this, yeah my noob self forgets the basic things ive been reading and taking notes on..cant wait till i can get like 15-20 clones from them...anyone know the approx height that would need to be to achieve that?

Kizane21

I'm jealous of that space and table for sure, coming along nicely good stuff

took awhile cause im a broke ass... but a buddy of mine grew what was in my opinion a great crop and didnt nearly have the setup like mine so im hoping for the best ya know

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
Soooooooo

Soooooooo

now we come to the really boooooorrrring part of our story. Nothing really exciting going on, no good pics to share yet.

Good news is everything seems to be working like clockwork and the plants look clean and healthy.

I'll probably have some pics in a week or so.

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
Things are starting to get interesting

Things are starting to get interesting

So I have 6 Sour Hazy Jones Fem plants and two of the Carolina bag seed clones in the cab right now. Stretch has been manageable so far and I plan on decreasing the lights on time slightly as well.

20 days into flower and buds are starting to form, plants are being bent, twisted and generally abused to try to keep an even canopy. Unfortunately I have done a bad job so far and they are all over the place. Fortunately I have two light rigs so I can at least split them 4 and 4 and so far it's no too bad.

Last two weeks have seen a peroxide/alcohol treatment, a Neem & Agsil treatment, a scant topdress of bloodmeal (little N) and a good dose of ACCT.

I plan one more Neem treatment, one more peroxide/alcohol treatment, one more Dr Doom bomb (well the rest of the 3 oz can) and another DE dust to the soil surface and that should hopefully be it for pest control. Planned chop date is July 4th :plant grow:

One major thing I changed this year was a significant mineral mix to my potting medium. Soft rock phosphates, glacial rock dust, oyster flour, gypsum, sodium bentonite clay. Can't vouch for if it works yet as I haven't tried a controlled experiment but I like what I see so far.

These bitches REEK right now, really hesitate to think what it will be like at harvest. Right now even with the scrubber doing it's thing (and it's way oversized for this space) you open the door and there is a chive/garlic/red pepper funk that is thick and undeniable.

Not instantly recognizable as cannabis, but I have a feeling it will be a force to be reckoned with before it's all said and done.

No way I'll be able to keep the future pics in this order but here they are at 20 days.

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
First four

First four

These are all SHJ

picture.php
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
a knockdown organic pesticide - the neem is a systemic treatment, the alcohol and peroxide mix (with soap as a surfactant) makes life miserable for pests.

I tested this on a milkweed plant outside that was covered in aphids. The alcohol/peroxide fucked them up, a week later the neem pretty much wiped them out. Downside of both is that they really shouldn't be used more than about 3 weeks into flower as the neem affects flavor and aroma and the alcohol can damage trichomes.

Hit your plants routinely in veg and up to early flower (along with the pyretherin bombs) and you should be in pretty good shape - at least that's what I'm hoping for.

Coba

Veteran
gotcha. yeah that sounds like it'd fuck them up. I'm going to have to keep that one in the 'ole mental Rolodex.

personally DP, I've been adding 7.5 mL of spinosad and 7.5 mL of neem (both Monterey brand) to 32 oz of water in a sprayer with a surfactant like aloe or ivory soap for pest spray. to be fair when I use the fertilome brand spinosad and the Southern Ag brand neem I only have to use 5mL of each to get the knockdown effect. but, it will knock down pests on contact.

as a matter of fact, I was spraying a few days ago with that mix and I picked up my 5 gallon tea bucket to find a whole heap of carpenter ants had made a cozy baby nursery underneath the bucket... it had happened pretty quick too because the bucket had only been sitting a couple of days... anyways I started spraying them with the spinosad and neem mix and I shit you not it killed those assholes on contact. took a few moments to soak in and deliver the death blow but, once it did... no more carpenter ants.

seems like to me the Monterey brand is more expensive than the fertilome and Southern Ag brands and even though the percentages are nearly identical the Monterey stuff seems weaker... but, that's me and I haven't done a side by side or anything.

Down with pests!!

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
Amen brother!! I never realized how much natural predators worked in my favor outside until I moved inside.

I bought a gallon of Ahimsa Neem oil a couple years ago and still have about 3/4 of a gallon left. Just restocked their neem seed meal as well so that's a one two punch that should be pretty formidable.

My recollection of spinosad was that it was more for caterpillars/worms/weevils - I know I have some on the shelf, will have to google that again and see if it has other uses.

Calendar says tomorrow I should water and spray again so maybe more pics if there is something worth seeing. These still have another 7-8 weeks to go if memory serves....

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
35 days into flower

35 days into flower

Everything seems to be rolling along just fine. Did my final pest spray yesterday, from here on out anything that pops up will get Doktor Doomed!

Carolina Bag seed
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Sour Hazy Jones

picture.php
picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts