What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help me design my new grow cab

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
Needs tweaking

Needs tweaking

I have no way to measure the C02 levels and the tea jug is turning out to not be such a good distribution vessel. It's a pain in the ass to get the baking soda into and a pain to get the spent material out of. I may try something with more of a widemouth, but honestly messin with it every day is getting old already.

Aside from that things appear to be working rather well, no issues with the lights, A/C is working and exhausting well even with the condensation build up in the exhaust box. If it weren't for the C02 I'd really only have to get in there a couple times a week to water.

The current plants will be done at the end of the month and then I have 6 Sour Hazy Jones to go into the cab. These will be the first real test.

They will not have been flipped to flower prior to entering the cabinet and should be fairly consistent in size and height as I have been pruning and training them. So my first chance to really pay attention to the stretch and get a feel for how much I'll have to move the lights and all the other things I've never had to deal with before.

Should also have at least one clone of each in case I have anything memorable.

Coba

Veteran
dude, nice strain to test out the cab with. gotta love me some sssdh.

sucks about the baking soda.... have you seen the mushroom/fungus bag CO2 system? my buddy had one. it's a CO2 delivery system that's just mushrooms or fungus growing in a bag supposedly, that delivers consistent CO2 until the bag is done.

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
I have seen those

I have seen those

and that's probably where I will turn to next once I sort out my latest issue........

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
The BORG

The BORG

I knew things were going just a little too smoothly. I figured I was going to have to become a little more regimented and planned in my operation schedule (light management, humidity management, C02 management (eventually)) but I was still wrapped up in paying attention to the mechanics of this contraption and not paying that much attention to the plants.

To be fair, I used these plants as they were largely sacrificial leftovers, there was really only one that was nice and it was almost too big for the cab.

Since they were a huge pain to get in and out of there I slacked off in really looking them over. When I got there today, I opened it up and got down to take out the C02 rig and to empty the water trough and I happened to look up at the lights and saw the webs. EVERYWHERE.

The worst pest I ever battled outdoors was aphids. I would occasionally lose a bud to spider mites but it was almost always an isolated branch and not a full plant problem like the aphids could turn into.

These plants came inside from outdoors and when I flipped them to flower, I hit them hard with DE and Sevin dust but they still had about 3 weeks of flower outside before they came inside. Evidently spider mite populations can just explode when they have no natural predators.

Anyway I chopped these down and disposed of them. I ordered some Doctor Doom foggers and will fog the SHJ plants when they go in the cab and again about 7 days later to get the hatching eggs.

Anybody got a better plan than that I'm all ears.......

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
Back and ready to rock!!

Back and ready to rock!!

Well the C02 generator needs a lot of redesign to be workable and now I'm ready to fight the borg so full speed ahead!!

6 feminized Sour Hazy Jones girls and two clones of my Carolina bag seed were prepped today. I moved them out of the supplemental lighting 3 days ago and today prepped everything for the move to the cabinet.

First I prepared a 5 gallon bucket with 2 tablespoons of dish soap, 20 oz of 91% isopropyl alcohol, 25 oz of 27% Hydrogen Peroxide and five gallons of tap water.

I covered the top of each pot with Press & Seal cling wrap then turned each one upside down and dunked in the bucket for 5 minutes. I used two sections of 2x4 across the top of the bucket to hold the pot so I didn't have to. Works best when the pots are moist but not too dry otherwise the whole root ball wants to come out of the pot.

I had a spot of mildew under the thin plastic I was using under the plants where a hole was torn so I treated that with high strength Odoban and replaced the thin plastic with some EPDM roof underlayment - it may be black but that shit isn't gonna tear.

I set the plants in the shade to dry and after a couple hours put them in the cab in the dark. After about 4 hours, I opened the cab and unleashed about 1 oz of a 3oz Dr Doom fogger and closed it back up for the night. Will air it out again in the AM and refog again in a week.

Pics to come in a day or five when I get my shit together.

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
Was back there today just to make sure the light timers were working and grabbed this pic. When I was gifted these seeds, I researched them and noted that folks said they would stretch 3-5X :yoinks:

I think I can handle 3X but 5X could be an issue. I had to let them get this big so I could get rooted clones from all of them as I promised the man who gifted the genetics.

picture.php

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
Thanks Coba, it's growing on me. Still so many things about growing in an enclosed environment I haven't thought of in a long time or never thought of to start with.

Still haven't pulled usable smoke out of that thing so I can't swear that it works, but for pulling a design out of my ass I think I got pretty close to start.

doob

looking good in here. I have height issues, so top or super crop and then flip, slows em down a bit hehe

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=314806

not sure DP if you've seen this thread by Blynx yet. It made my go buy leds as soon as I read it.

No I had not seen it but it's interesting. Next step is an indoor seed/mother cabinet where I can stash mums and start seeds, maybe even root clones. When you find the right combination of LED and driver, they are often dimmable and very versatile for purposes such as this.

Hoped to have that designed and built by now, but life has insistent on pitching me curveballs for the past 6 months so it's on the list - just gotta get to it.

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
looking good in here. I have height issues, so top or super crop and then flip, slows em down a bit hehe

They were all topped at the fourth node and then again and again.

Here is an awesome thread if you have height issues

http://www.growweedeasy.com/mainlining-nugbuckets#intro-to-main-lining

With almost 6 feet of height in this cabinet, I really shouldn't complain about it but I've never really had to think about it before.

I had an ACE Guatamala sativa that was over 10' that I finished in a 4' deep hole but that has been the only "height" issue I've ever faced before.

picture.php