What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help! Base mix is too hot, what can I do?

socialgrow

Hello everyone! I'm a new ish grower, on my 4th or 5th organic auto run. Before we get into it, my girls are mostly doing fine and I'm kinda overreacting, but I'm shooting for perfect and I wanna learn whatever some more experienced folks can teach me. Feel free to dump lots of info on me, books(!!!), whole websites, massive forum posts, etc. Thanks in advance for the help!

I moved right before this run, so I just threw together the ingredients i had on hand to make a new batch of soil instead of using my old soil that had sat dry and unused for a few months. Not sure why I thought i was mixing a lighter mix, but i added 1.5Cups (24Tbsp) each of Dr. Earth 4-4-4 (recommended .5C/5gal) AND Rainbow Mix Bloom 2-14-2 (recommended 1-4Tbsp/gal) into my 10 gallon mix. I assume my thinking was that because I had 2 plants in the same pot, i should double the nutes, so by only adding 1.5x that would be a lighter, autos suitable mix. Lol... The genetics are one ILGM Jack Herer that have been a massive pain in my ass in 4 diff grows now and one North Atlantic Seed Co freebie Green Crack (2+ years old, can't find the breeder, unfortunate bc the wide variance among what people call Green Crack). The base is an eyeballed ~1:1:1 coir (lazily buffered: a few rinses then a strong calmag drench), perl, compost (CoM Lobster) mix, with a few handfuls of castings, and innoculated with ~8 red wigglers. I water with a lite dose of Ful Power most waterings, occasionally work in Neptunes Harvest seaweed extract or fish & seaweed usually not at full dose, and some various run of the mill microbe products. I top dressed small amounts of castings, malted barley and oats, and just a touch of bloom.

Fast forward to now, ~86 days from germ and well into flower, I've been dealing with some ongoing leaf tip burn, spots, accelerated leaf drop (in my unprofessional assessment), chlorosis on a few upper leaves, narrow leaves (though both are sativa dominant so not really sure that's an issue), possibly delayed onset of flower (Herer has had issues initiating flower every. single. time. that I've ran it [shoutout Mephisto for breeding real, quality autos, not this ILGM garbage]), and occasional wilting independent of water. Pics show some symptoms over the past few weeks. Based on this ever so common chart, I'm thinking Phos is the main culprit, but there's so much cross interference/lockout it's hard to tell. A few symptoms seem to indicate calcium and potassium issues, but that's all gotta be downstream of the phos excess. I was wondering if something was proportionally deficient, but after flushing and checking runoff, a 3.0+ EC (albeit w a 2 year old $10 uncalibrated TDS pen) tells me it can only be an excess. The symptoms aren't that severe and the Herer genetics have been very finicky in my experience, but that sky high EC reading is what's prompting this post/my urgency to fix it.

Regardless of trying to pin down the particular excess, what's the solution? I shop vac'd up much of the top dress layer. I tossed some BAS cover crop seed, but those won't make any impact for a minute. I should def calibrate or but a better TDS pen, but my grow budget is hovering right around $0 at the moment. I think empty biochar would leech up some excess nutrients, but only near that top layer, plus i'm fresh out. I've got some Ful Humix, which I understand is a good buffer, but not really sure if it makes sense to use here. I have an extra mini bloom ion board i could add to kick metabolism into high gear, but one of my girls is kinda wrapping up flower and should be dialing back DLI, not increasing. I'm not sure if I should continue watering with Ful Power, or if thats contributing to the burn. I'm not sure if i should try to focus on microbial populations (adding recharge, great white, homemade castings, etc) bc i don't know if that will increase nutrient cycling and burn further, or provide a microbial buffer and alleviate burn...

Is there anything to do other than ride it out?

(Pics are from oldest to newest, Herer is the taller one on the left, Green Crack shorter earlier to flower on the right)

Attachments

• IMG_0099.jpeg
    IMG_0099.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0653.jpeg
    IMG_0653.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0655.jpeg
    IMG_0655.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0657.jpeg
    IMG_0657.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0676.jpeg
    IMG_0676.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0682.jpeg
    IMG_0682.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0733.jpeg
    IMG_0733.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0735.jpeg
    IMG_0735.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0909.jpeg
    IMG_0909.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0986.jpeg
    IMG_0986.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 34

socialgrow

Also, I'm watering using dechlorinated city water, though recently i've been running it through the Brita. pH tends around 6.7, ppm is very low before filtration and near 0 after. It's NYC water, which has aluminum and chromium afaik, though I'm banking on my soil being alive enough to keep it out of the buds.

stiff

Veteran
If it's just a hot mix..why don't you add coco or seed raising mix? Coco got nothing in it at all and seed raising mix comes with very little ferts in it.

Edit..the only thing you can do right now (since youre halfway through) would be cranking up the lights to make the plants eat more I guess.

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran
I once had a salt buildup problem paired with rotting organic matter in my pots, I flushed until the water was running clear a the bottom of the pots, then I fixed my watering schedule to take into account the sudden "flooding" as well as to fix the rotting matters by letting it dry up first and then moderate my watering and feeding (thank you ICMag for existing already at the time), and it worked: got rid of the salt, got rid of the rot, saved me the crop.
Also, I saved that water to macerate any leftovers in and let it ferment to get the salts into the organic and throw it into the compost bin after. Salt dilutes into the compost et voilà, salt problem solved (punintended).
Or throw the water down the drain, up to you.
But try flushing.

socialgrow

If it's just a hot mix..why don't you add coco or seed raising mix? Coco got nothing in it at all and seed raising mix comes with very little ferts in it.

Edit..the only thing you can do right now (since youre halfway through) would be cranking up the lights to make the plants eat more I guess.
I replaced the shop vac'd soil with seedling soil. I'll have to see about cranking the lights, i just gotta make myself a new photone diffuser...

socialgrow

I once had a salt buildup problem paired with rotting organic matter in my pots, I flushed until the water was running clear a the bottom of the pots, then I fixed my watering schedule to take into account the sudden "flooding" as well as to fix the rotting matters by letting it dry up first and then moderate my watering and feeding (thank you ICMag for existing already at the time), and it worked: got rid of the salt, got rid of the rot, saved me the crop.
Also, I saved that water to macerate any leftovers in and let it ferment to get the salts into the organic and throw it into the compost bin after. Salt dilutes into the compost et voilà, salt problem solved (punintended).
Or throw the water down the drain, up to you.
But try flushing.
It was full organic and flushing worked? I always see mixed reviews, my biggest concern is that i've inoculated IMO i don't have access to anymore, not to mention microbe products ain't free. good to know tho, i probably will flush again and toss the remainder into the compost

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran
It was full organic and flushing worked? I always see mixed reviews, my biggest concern is that i've inoculated IMO i don't have access to anymore, not to mention microbe products ain't free. good to know tho, i probably will flush again and toss the remainder into the compost
Yup, still pulled off 300g in 1m2 with BC blueberry and BC the Purps in 2009 under 600W HPS (was expecting 400g at least)