What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help and tips making shatter and honeycomb

About 4500 ft. Just past -25.5", not quite -26"
Not sure about the ambient pressure here as I don't have a barometer handy, but based on my readings, should be about 12-12.4 PSIA
I use a dual stage (12 cfm) with an ultimate vacuum rating of 0.3 Pascals (2 micron). Pretty deep, huh?! I haven't properly tested it's capabilities with a micron guage, but would like to. This pump pulls on two 0.9 cu ft ovens as well as two 3-gallon purging pots.

I also have a newer Robinair 6cfm with a 20 micron vacuum rating, but mainly use that for vacuuming my closed-loop.

That's a powerful sucker! Have you ever tried hooking it up to say, just one of the 3-gallon pots, to see how deep it will pull?

I use a 5-cfm dual stage robinair but it's dedicated to my 3gal chamber.

I'm wondering if it's the altitude because I am at sea level practically.
Lower atmospheric pressure due to higher elevation means solvents will boil off at lower pressures/temps? Im very high atm that gp shatter rocks!

Old Gold

Again, even on my 3-gallon pots, it maxes at just past -25.5" Hg.
You're cubic feet per minute (CFM) only dictates how quickly it reaches vacuum pressures. I don't bother with any less than a 6cfm, though I know people who use 3's and even single stages..
And you are correct about elevation/pressure. I do 95% of my purging under reduced pressure, so I have full control over both temperature AND pressure.

Here is more of the GP shatter. This was purely fan leaves so I am pleased with the results.

This was purged at 108 until reaction free at full vac. Then I piled it into a patty and repeated the previous process. Flipped and repeated again. Tastes awesome

Attachments

• IMG_1216.jpg
    IMG_1216.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1217.jpg
    IMG_1217.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1214.jpg
    IMG_1214.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 11
Here is some stuff my buddy gave me to purge and it is the most orange BHO I have ever seen. Doesn't taste quite as good as the GP but is very nice as well!

Purged in exact same fashion stated previously.

Alot of peopple pming me these question as well.

Yes there are some additional tricks to popping difficult bubbles such as de-vacing slightly and heating to a certain point and then pulling deep vacs. I like to let the tricky bubbles warm up and then punch em with a deep vac pull to pop em.

No I don't run my pump constantly. I pull to desired vac and seal the chamber.
I will run the pump every 15 mins or so for a few mins. I never run the pump for more than 10 mins at a time. I usually achieve full vac in a little over a minute (at sea level).

Attachments

• IMG_1209.jpg
    IMG_1209.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 12
hey nice evolution DP...how're you getting stable shatter using fan leaves? Are you winterizing???

No I didn't winterize. I just super dehydrated the trim, froze it.

put the closed column, trim and butane in the freezer overnight.

I let it soak for about 5-10 minutes blast into pyrex. after dissolving liquid butane in a pyrex/griddle, i scrape up and lay out thinly on a slick mat.

then just purge it (thin film) at 108f until no reaction[no reaction meaning bubbles have stopped popping)] (usually an hour or two) then flip the patty and repeat.
Every Time I get stable shatter when I blast myself. It's only my friend's or re-blasted material that ever gets waxy.
I tend to make that waxy stuff into crumble, so I never really winterize.

Hey BGB! Welcome. Ran my latest batch, and can confirm quick drying and freezing is my favorite prep method.

Checkout this cream caramel shatter. Ran off nothing but trim and some popcorn!

2 oz run, 8.11 g yield.

Very solid shatter. Great taste

Attachments

• IMG_1367.jpg
    IMG_1367.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1366.jpg
    IMG_1366.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 11

dope_roor

Hey BGB! Welcome. Ran my latest batch, and can confirm quick drying and freezing is my favorite prep method.

Checkout this cream caramel shatter. Ran off nothing but trim and some popcorn!

2 oz run, 8.11 g yield.

Very solid shatter. Great taste

yum, excellent color! you mentioned you vac until you see no bubbles, any concern over loss of terpenes?

not a criticism, just been a long time since ive kept up with bho tech, i recall a few years back some debate on if its possible to "over vac"

Old Gold

It is possible. I'd rather lose some flavor as opposed to leave some solvent in ther. I find that heat messes up product quality more than "over-vacuuming" does, but I've had some pretty flavorful stuff come from my pump constantly pulling (down to 1.8 torr for 3+ days at 85°F. At low temps, I find it takes a looot of time to truly "overpurge." The loss of terpenes comes moreso in the early stages of purging, when large quantities of solvent are still very present.

yum, excellent color! you mentioned you vac until you see no bubbles, any concern over loss of terpenes?

not a criticism, just been a long time since ive kept up with bho tech, i recall a few years back some debate on if its possible to "over vac"

Thanks my man!

You are right I am def pulling out terpenes when I purge to the level I like.
That's a definite.
Overvaccing is certainly possible, but as old gold said, I find overheating is a larger concern as it will cause buddering or permagoo, and terpene loss.
Also I would rather lose some terpenes, then have any residual butane in my mix, as I use puretane (canned) and not distilled butane.

Hope that helps my man.

dope_roor

Thanks my man!

You are right I am def pulling out terpenes when I purge to the level I like.
That's a definite.
Overvaccing is certainly possible, but as old gold said, I find overheating is a larger concern as it will cause buddering or permagoo, and terpene loss.
Also I would rather lose some terpenes, then have any residual butane in my mix, as I use puretane (canned) and not distilled butane.

Hope that helps my man.

gotcha that makes perfect sense, i never understood the craze around budder, anyone that makes bho knows shatter is much more refined and labor intensive product

Refined isn't the word I would use.

Shatter has the best flavor, and generally potency compared to its honeycombed counterparts. For a few reasons but, I will give you the best two.

1. wax and honeycomb generally smell better than shatter (when fresh) as they release more terpenes into the air. However this is the process lowers the overall flavor when it comes time to take a rip.
Shatter doesn't smell as strongly because less terpenes are being released, meaning less degradation is going on. It should have a stronger flavor.
2. Whipping then partial vac and then baking solid (my process for honeycomb) adds air to the oil during the whip/vac process making it a larger patty than if left as shatter. Therefore 100 mg of lets say Cream caramel shatter will contain more overall thc and terps than 100 mg of cream caramel honeycomb, due to the added air.

Shatter is more labor intensive for me because, as it can take many hours to remove the solvent working at lower temps (while avoiding buddering).
Honeycomb took me a while to get down, and can be made from trashy starting material and still look good. If you read earlier in this thread you can see some dark opaque goop i turned into some pretty blonde honeycomb.
Now, I generally only make honeycomb when I have a waxy starting product, because I like my shatter clear and solid at room temp.
Hope that helps!