What's new

Heidolph rotary evaporators

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey GW... As a newer member of this forum I want to say thanks for always giving consistent and concise information on these boards. It is a refreshing change from all of the secrecy in this industry.

I was wondering if you always winterize prior to distillation and what your reasoning was for doing this. Does it provide a clearer end product?

Also it seems that the product of some distillations has a somewhat latexy rubberey smell (best way i can describe it) to it that is certainly different from the foul burnt smell discussed in other threads. What is your opinion on this and have you experienced it yourself?

And lastly, Is there a vacuum gauge on the Krugelrohr, if so how deep of a vacuum do you run your distillations.

And thanks again for your support on these forums, its a huge help for the entire community.

Thanks for the good thoughts! We pleased to aim.......

Whether we winterize depends on what we are making.

For dabable products, we typically extract at low temperatures so as to avoid excessive wax pickup. We use a 50/50% mix, which also reduces wax pickup, and is faster to purge.

That gives us low enough wax to not be of concern and more intense aromatics/flavor.

We do winterize for recipes calling for Absolutes.

The diterpene cannabinoids are typically present in carboxylic acid form, which is brittle at room temperature. It becomes more pliable with the addition of plant waxes, as well as with retained solvents and monoterpenes.

Highly aromatic material is more likely to be pull and snap than brittle, because the aromatic monoterpenes act as a solvent.

For our brief four days to play with the Krugelrohr, we didn't have a vacuum gauge and were only guessing based on the Welch pump performance ratings of .01 torr.

Now that the pump has been moved into its new home, and pharmer Joe has been hired as a consultant, they will be adding a vacuum gauge and seeking ways to over ride the systems oven temperature limits of 220C. Distillation is painfully slow at (ostensibly around) .01 torr and 220C.