What's new

Heidolph rotary evaporators

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Most labs use the dry ice condenser.

Buchi said that the optimum utilization of their coil condenser in their systems is 2/3; Heidolph might have an official recommendation as well.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Very cool I have read a couple different sources talking about it but with the exception of forum talk never a reference directed specifically at cannabis. It seems like a very time intensive prospect and I look forward to seeing your personal tek for it.

Would the Heidolph not fall into that category? The short paths like the Krugelrohr seem to have a disadvantage in the volume department? Clearly they Krugelrohr can make distillate (see what I did there) but it doesnt seem like its as volume oriented as the larger rotos.

Thanks as always GW

Neither the Krugelrohr or rotovape are high thru-put systems, nor do they upsize well.

The food and pharmaceutical concentrates industries moved to thin film molecular distillation in their efforts for higher thru-put.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Most labs use the dry ice condenser.

Buchi said that the optimum utilization of their coil condenser in their systems is 2/3; Heidolph might have an official recommendation as well.

If the Heidolph is capable of holding the required vacuum levels, it was our plan to use their dry ice cold finger, as the Graham style cold finger appears hard to clean without solvent, in an application producing a thick resin.

For use with the -10C chiller that they supplied, and most of our planned experiments, we chose the coil instead of the well.

We actually didn't borrow the unit with the intention of using it as a thin film short path system for making clear, as we have other Krugelrohr and molecular distillation irons in the fire for that purpose.

Sadly they haven't progressed as splendidly well as the Heidolph project, but I still hold great hope for them.

What we do hope to do with it, is explore the traditional uses for which the Heidolph was made, and apply them to our industry.

We picked the Heidolph because it is a smacking beautiful piece of precision equipment and we've been impressed by the attitude and customer support we've received from Heidolph.

Not only have they responded with alacrity, but their catalog is like a candy store to us'n giddy skunk pharmers. Hee, hee, hee, twitch, jerk, snort..........

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Neither the Krugelrohr or rotovape are high thru-put systems, nor do they upsize well.

The food and pharmaceutical concentrates industries moved to thin film molecular distillation in their efforts for higher thru-put.

Flash evaportation is another method commonly employed when you reach the stage of large scale production. If/when cannabis becomes legal nationwide the big companies will be using all the industrial tech available to increase the profit margin on concentrate production.

"Flash (or partial) evaporation is the partial vapor that occurs when a saturated liquid stream undergoes a reduction in pressure by passing through a throttling valve or other throttling device. This process is one of the simplest unit operations. If the throttling valve or device is located at the entry into a pressure vessel so that the flash evaporation occurs within the vessel, then the vessel is often referred to as a flash drum.[1][2]

If the saturated liquid is a single-component liquid (for example, liquid propane or liquid ammonia), a part of the liquid immediately "flashes" into vapor. Both the vapor and the residual liquid are cooled to the saturation temperature of the liquid at the reduced pressure. This is often referred to as "auto-refrigeration" and is the basis of most conventional vapor compression refrigeration systems.

If the saturated liquid is a multi-component liquid (for example, a mixture of propane, isobutane and normal butane), the flashed vapor is richer in the more volatile components than is the remaining liquid.

Uncontrolled flash evaporation can result in a boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion (BLEVE)."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_evaporation

No obviously not and I totally agree that thin film molecular stills are clearly the end came if you want to do some serious weight. However, getting to work with the product and experiment with it in reasonable quantities would be much more affordable with a roto or Krug than buying a Meyer or a Pope off the bat. If they can produce the same product.

Roji

You cant do this with a rotovap

AecArvNl.jpg

Roji

It's just some tightly fractioned thc Ricky's bong and I made last night. Impossible to do in a roto. Just sayin.

HG23

Any updates here?

I've seen some nice pictures of the Heidolph units on Instagram. The cold finger style condensers are very interesting.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Any updates here?

I've seen some nice pictures of the Heidolph units on Instagram. The cold finger style condensers are very interesting.

I'm out of town for the next couple of days, but I'll update on my return.

The Heidolph has worked well and flawlessly, but the chiller not so well, so we are hung up waiting for a replacement, before continuing the backlog of experiments.

We used it to reduce winterized solutions for a Krugelrohr Saturday, to produce some clear.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They are amazing, but taxed. We've been using the dry ice condenser and it's pretty efficient.

We currently have the Graham style cold finger and a -10C chiller, but plan to also try out the dry ice cold finger. Their catalog makes me feel a little like a kid in a candy store.

A6 Grower

Veteran
i love my coil condenser, i have it running -10f glycol out of my freezer. wish it was colder but it works fine for ethanol.... i think i need colder glycol for pentane, i lost quite a bit on the last recovery compared to ethanol.

Permacultuure

Veteran
We currently have the Graham style cold finger and a -10C chiller, but plan to also try out the dry ice cold finger. Their catalog makes me feel a little like a kid in a candy store.

So true, a very high end candy store :)
Seriously though, rotavap'n has never been so fun

I'm out of town for the next couple of days, but I'll update on my return.

The Heidolph has worked well and flawlessly, but the chiller not so well, so we are hung up waiting for a replacement, before continuing the backlog of experiments.

We used it to reduce winterized solutions for a Krugelrohr Saturday, to produce some clear.

Hey GW... As a newer member of this forum I want to say thanks for always giving consistent and concise information on these boards. It is a refreshing change from all of the secrecy in this industry.

I was wondering if you always winterize prior to distillation and what your reasoning was for doing this. Does it provide a clearer end product?

Also it seems that the product of some distillations has a somewhat latexy rubberey smell (best way i can describe it) to it that is certainly different from the foul burnt smell discussed in other threads. What is your opinion on this and have you experienced it yourself?

And lastly, Is there a vacuum gauge on the Krugelrohr, if so how deep of a vacuum do you run your distillations.

And thanks again for your support on these forums, its a huge help for the entire community.