What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Headstash RdWc setup

Whats happening?!

Thought i would share my custom RDWC system that I use for my headstash.

I have been growing with bubbles for just over 10 years and have grown some big girls over the years however have now settled on smaller plants with quicker turn arounds.

I have been through the DIY times and love the availability of systems on the market today, however there not perfect.

Hopefully I can share some tips and tricks and learn some in return!

System - custom under current system
Lights - 2 x 600w 400v lumitek HPS (occasionally I throw a 300w cmh in there)
Feed - shogun fertilisers
8" outtake 4" fresh air intake (filter screens used)

IMG_20220115_101409_594.jpg

1637587861633.jpg

These are older photos more to follow as I'm reloading her again now....

thanks for looking!

Piff Rhys Jones

🌴 Hugging Trees 🌴
Veteran
Nice one, I've been looking at lumatek stuff recently and wondered about the difference between the standard hps and 400v hps, 400V being considerably pricier.

Can you explain the difference and why the 400V is more beneficial?

Looks like a tidy system. What varieties do you like to grow in it?

Peace

Whats happening?!

Thought i would share my custom RDWC system that I use for my headstash.

I have been growing with bubbles for just over 10 years and have grown some big girls over the years however have now settled on smaller plants with quicker turn arounds.

I have been through the DIY times and love the availability of systems on the market today, however there not perfect.

Hopefully I can share some tips and tricks and learn some in return!

System - custom under current system
Lights - 2 x 600w 400v lumitek HPS (occasionally I throw a 300w cmh in there)
Feed - shogun fertilisers
8" outtake 4" fresh air intake (filter screens used)

View attachment 18821825

View attachment 18821826

These are older photos more to follow as I'm reloading her again now....

thanks for looking!
Nice setup interested in seeing more and the changes you've made.

So, you take a factory/stock under current system and tweak it?

I too have bean growing in water in a factory/stock system here called current culture. Im a private grower growing 4 plants in flower each go around for me and my wife and to share. Here's a picture of mine when I was putting it together

20210428_101726.jpg

Last edited:
Nice one, I've been looking at lumatek stuff recently and wondered about the difference between the standard hps and 400v hps, 400V being considerably pricier.

Can you explain the difference and why the 400V is more beneficial?

Looks like a tidy system. What varieties do you like to grow in it?

Peace

Honestly not really, I have been using them since they first came out, which is a few years now and the ballasts are still working well, I have had great results with sun master digital before these and also the old black block ballasts ...

Sometimes the bulbs have an issue of the glass being loose in the screw on end, also had this with there cmh bulbs a few times, never with sunmaster.

Don't really fancy going LED but there's looks good on paper....

I like treat each light like a quadrant (rip subby) so tend to one lott on the left and one on the right.... but allot of 🧀

Nice setup interested in seeing more and the changes you've made.

So, you take a factory/stock under current system and tweak it?

I too have bean growing in water in a factory/stock system here called current culture. Im a private grower growing 4 plants in flower each go around for me and my wife and to share. Here's a picture of mine when I was putting it together

View attachment 18822011

I am very familiar with undercurrent and have watched them grow for many years, they defo know what they are doing, im a fan!

I'm in England and we have a similar system called nutricultre rush system and another alien rdwc systems

The issue with these large water volume systems imo is unless your vegging for weeks its wasted space, also you need a huge chiller

how much water does it take to fill that system
Each bucket is 15ltrs when filled

8 buckets +1 for the header (outside tent)

15ltr x 9 = 135ltr plus 5ltr for the solution in the pipes.

The pipes are called ice line, very thick and black with a white coating to reflect heat...

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Header and chiller outside tent as you can see shes seen some action lol

View attachment 18824466
Looking well m8 i aint ever needed to run a chiller guess im lucky in that way less electric and with leds a lot more saved too try them one day you wont look back i didnt ..,,Anyhow i will coninue watching your diary and learning from all who look in good luck .:good:

Looking well m8 i aint ever needed to run a chiller guess im lucky in that way less electric and with leds a lot more saved too try them one day you wont look back i didnt ..,,Anyhow i will coninue watching your diary and learning from all who look in good luck .:good:

A chiller is essential! Not only does it keep bad bacteria down 18degs hold the perfect amount of DO (dissolved oxygen) that make the roots thrive....

I didnt use a chiller for years and i thought my results were great, get a chiller and youll see what rdwc can really do!

I have been growing hps for over a decade, leds seem ok but I have no intrest on changing my grow style for a product that people sit on the fence about....leds seem to produce excellent resin, but for everything else hps....

Lumpy-Gravy

I’m also in England @londoncitygenetics. I love coco but I’m fed up of the logistics of buying n getting it home. Not to mention rootball disposal. Hoping to make a transition to DWC before the year is out. I’d have started before now but I’m a poor and a chiller is a biiiiiig expense to me.

If you were to advise someone just getting started what things would you suggest if someone wanted to avoid the teething problems that occur when picking summat up for the first time? Like for example, first time I got to flower with coco, the amount of run off and what to do with it really suprised me. I just have to capture it yer see. I can’t start altering my house to include plumbing to get rid of waste etc.

I was looking to just get 3/4 oxypots since they’re only like £20 each. I’ve automated my watering to help tick things over when I’m in work so half get the hydro thing. It’s just those sneaky problems a noob wouldn’t factor in.

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A chiller is essential! Not only does it keep bad bacteria down 18degs hold the perfect amount of DO (dissolved oxygen) that make the roots thrive....

I didnt use a chiller for years and i thought my results were great, get a chiller and youll see what rdwc can really do!

I have been growing hps for over a decade, leds seem ok but I have no intrest on changing my grow style for a product that people sit on the fence about....leds seem to produce excellent resin, but for everything else hps....
Chiller is only essential if you cannot keep on top of water temperature look at all the big players as well as a lot of smaller growers like myself, but i suppose its food for thought each to there own, and as you, i also used hps for well over 20 years until i saw the light so to speak and moved with the times but youre doing a good enough job with your set up thats for sure best of luck :tiphat:

Last edited:
I’m also in England @londoncitygenetics. I love coco but I’m fed up of the logistics of buying n getting it home. Not to mention rootball disposal. Hoping to make a transition to DWC before the year is out. I’d have started before now but I’m a poor and a chiller is a biiiiiig expense to me.

If you were to advise someone just getting started what things would you suggest if someone wanted to avoid the teething problems that occur when picking summat up for the first time? Like for example, first time I got to flower with coco, the amount of run off and what to do with it really suprised me. I just have to capture it yer see. I can’t start altering my house to include plumbing to get rid of waste etc.

I was looking to just get 3/4 oxypots since they’re only like £20 each. I’ve automated my watering to help tick things over when I’m in work so half get the hydro thing. It’s just those sneaky problems a noob wouldn’t factor in.
Start a diary and tag me in and ill help where i can, oxypots work if you can spend a few weeks vegging under soft light, to allow the plant to cover the lid of the pot, by this point the plant will shade the pot and help keep temps cool....but not chiller cool